LP Storage Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Meddle_Guy, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Anyone have a suggestion for a box to put 45s in? I have fewer than 50. I wouldn't mind doubling or tripling that. But I'm basically thinking a long thin box...

2. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

thats what i did. i only have like 20-30 7 and 5 inchers and i hacked up a random cardboard box to fit them in. and now they sit neatly next to my turntable. i could snap a pic later if i remember. haha

3. scotto

scotto Senior Member

If you don't want to buy one of the readymade 45 boxes, I've found that those sturdy 12-pack boxes that craft brews often come in make dandy 45 holders. The only problem is figuring out what to do with the beer that comes in them.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Hi & welcome to VA!,
    If you're moving close to the Roanoke VA area, I have something that you may like. I have moved my shop from Roanoke to Salem and had an area at the old shop where I kept Lps, CDs, and DVDs for customers to browse through. I never really sold many or had any intention of doing so and now I don't really even want to bother with it in my new location, plus I want the space for another display. I'll give you first refusal since you are moving and asking about something that this just fits the description of perfectly. If you don't want it, I'll post it for sale and add a better photo of it.

[​IMG]

It's the unit on the far right in the photo. I bought this for about $400 when a local bookstore/music store closed its doors years ago. They had it custom built by a master woodworker from cabinet/furniture grade plywood with a real cherry veneer and real cherry solids on all trim and top surfaces. The base had some water damage from storage but it isn't really visible and it is extremely solid. I soaked it with a lysol solution to kill any mold growth, so that will not be an issue unless you sit the unit on a damp floor again. I am going to advertise it for $250 and it's yours for that if you want it. I guess the botom sections will hold about 800-1000 Lps and the top will hold a lot more in a flip-bin type fashion. There are also removable dividers which cut the top Lp bin sections in half for use with CDs or DVDs Maybe you can tell how it is laid-out from the photo. The very top allows the display of three or more LPs or whatever you like. It's definitely a "pick-up only" type of thing, so let me know if you do or don't want it. I'll post it to the "Marketplace" section with a better photo for general sale if you don't care for it.
    -Bill

5. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

Add some straps to the record sections. I'd hate to think they are all smashed during an earthquake. Make sure that rack is solidly secured to your wall... toggle bolt or direct to stud... don't forget the rack side too... very very critical. Your strength is as strong as the weakest link.

6. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Any suggestions for one of those readymade 45 boxes?

7. Macca

Macca R'kid

8. scotto

scotto Senior Member

9. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Here is a pic of a 7'' singles case, the one I actually bought was black with silver trim.

JG

Attached Files:

10. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Mine's been standing for 2 years with no problem. :shrug:

11. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

12. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

That's my choice for 45's - cheap and sturdy - you can even fix it to the wall if you want. I buy all my stuff for Vinyl Protection and posting at

www.protected.de

This item costs 7,47 € + taxes, holds a lot of 7"es - more than a hundred

Attached Files:

13. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I didn't know that, thank you.

14. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Mine has been up for well over a year and no problems.

15. manimator

manimator New Member

Mine drooped a little on some shelfs. i dont keep it full, to avoid a collapse. i think its designed for nick nacks and some books.....not packed full of LPs

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You this is the first time I've read that someone's had a problem. I have no reason to doubt you either so maybe I need to have a rethink. I was hoping to use these eventually.

How big was your Expidit? I was thinking of getting the smaller ones just incase.

I think it was just a chance that it fit lps as I agree it was meant for light weight items. I checked the Ikea website and it says that the load limit per shelf is 13kg.

What's the weight of an average LP and how many LPs can each shelf hold?

Eddie

17. manimator

manimator New Member

The one i have is 4 rows by 4 rows. it holds about 80 LPs per cube shelf (16 cubes).

18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I have Billy Bookcases holding around 1500 CDs plus shelf inserts. Bought them around 2000, and moved them to two different residences and they are still solid as a rock. I anchor them to wall studs with L brackets and to each other with Chicago Bolts.

I can't imagine any Ikea product not holding vinyl without collapsing unless they weren't assembled properly to begin with.

19. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Billy has been great for my cd's - for about 12 years.
    Besta has been great for my lp's - about 2 years and still strong...

I can load 'em up with no worries!

:righton:

20. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Seriously guys, you can build shelves that will do better. Mine are rock-solid and never have more than 12" of shelf that is not supported from beneath. All you need is 3/4" mdf, wood screws, 'T' angles, patience, and some painting skill. (I couldn't apply wood-stain if my kids' lives depended on it.)

If there is any interest, I'll post some details.

21. manimator

manimator New Member

i remember trying to make a bird house in 7th grade woodshop...they call me toe-thumbs now

22. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

For the Expedit and Besta users, how many albums does each unit hold? I am most intrigued by the 2X4 Expedit, but any info is appreciated.

23. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Each Expedit "cube" holds around 60 to 80 albums, depending on thickness and how tight you pack 'em in. But I'd recommend keeping them loosely filed at around 60 max. I don't think the weight rating for the shelves would take being fully packed.

24. manimator

manimator New Member

that was my problem...i use the expidit for storage and packed it tight. it was just too much weight.

25. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Are you affiliated with LPBin storage units? Your posts coincided with mention of the LPBin, which is marketed out of Royal Oak MI. For the record (no pun), the LPBin looks pretty cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.