LP Storage Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Meddle_Guy, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Good, thanks. So what I asked is whether it is bad to NOT have them vertical. What you said confirmed my impression of what was universally accepted by record collectors. Having them in the LP Bin makes them lean back (record store style), so they are not straight up and down. Wouldn't that be bad for them, then, given what you said?

To be absolutely clear, then: I like the LP bin but I worry that it would be bad for the records..

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't think the leaning of the records will affect them too much. But stacking them on top of each other is bad....

3. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

The LP bins looks really nice. They should provide a great way to safely store and access your records. They are a little bit on the pricey side though. However, IMHO they look like they would be a good choice.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Those LP bins make me think I'm in a store....

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The lp bins are easy to peruse and select records.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Those feet look really good. Maybe I should do that as well.

7. PhillyFan

PhillyFan Forum Resident

I'm thinking of picking up one the 2x4 units this weekend. Can someone post a picture of the bracing they're using? I want the unit to be sturdy when completed.

8. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Looks like this is an Expedit thread. I have my two Expedits set up the same way - except mine are closer to full! A great storage solution imho. :righton:

9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I purchased mine about a year ago and like it very much. It is very sturdy. They didn't have the cherry model when I got mine but I would have purchased the black anyway. It is much easier easier to find LPs by looking at the front covers instead of reading the edges.

10. Oddio

Oddio Forum Resident

I'm working on it, Mike! ;)

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Perfect timing for this thread. I'm soon going to finish my attic so I can use it for media storage (I guess the wife is sick and tired of having my LPs all over the house, hee hee). Both the Expedit and LPBin units look good to me so now I just gotta decide.

Unfortunately right now half of my LPs are in boxes stacked on top of each other in a closet, so the sooner I get them out, the less damage will be done. I can't wait until I can actually peruse them quickly. Can you imagine how annoying it is to want to listen to a particular LP and have to spend 30 minutes hunting for it somewhere in eight boxes? Ugh.

12. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I know exactly how you feel. That's what prompted me to buy my Expedits to begin with. I had LPs all over the house in different rooms. By the time I found whatever LP I was looking for I didn't want to hear it any more. :laugh:

13. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

14. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Actually, I've found a couple of pictures of the IKEA BONDE.

Attached Files:

15. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Nice. :thumbsup:

16. manimator

manimator New Member

LPBIN is definetly the way to go! just easy to find everything....fliping through the Lps with them facing me is the only way to go....for me anyway.

i also have a Expedit...but just for LPs i dont listen to a lot...storage.

17. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80105263

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/96671300

I've also got one of these, the IVAR box, although mine is about half the width (15"), I couldn't find the link to the one I have. I've also added the casters which makes it easier to roll under the desk in the office. This is also untreated natural wood so it can be painted or stained, I left mine natural. This box is primarily used for new arrivals and heavy rotation stuff that I am interested in at the moment. Tip: I've also found that if I leave it half full it becomes more difficult for my wife to track purchases.

18. manimator

manimator New Member

Another great option for storage and browsing with them facing you.

Nice find!

19. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Somehow your first link doesn't work for me and when I type in the product number, Ikea doesn't find anything. What is the name?

20. manimator

manimator New Member

I googled "IVAR box" to find it.....make sure your click the link for Ikia "US"

21. attym

attym Forum Resident

I have a 2x4 expedite and its great. I even had it upright and took out the top divider for a bit to put some components in and it was still very stable.

22. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Thanks manimator. Yes hypnotoad, google IKEA then click North America United States. Type IVAR in the search and you'll see the IVAR box listed with many other IVAR products.

23. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Oh yes... Ivar Box... like you said in the original post. Oops. Thanks for the help.

24. manimator

manimator New Member

ya but a box is a box....at least Expedit and LPBIN get the LPs up off the ground.

25. shakehurst

shakehurst Member

Friends of mine had a unit they got from Ikea, it collapsed, luckily no records were damaged. They got another, and 6 months later it collapsed and luckily didn't break his foot, but some records got destroyed. I don't know if I'd recommend an Ikea shelf, or at least not get one myself, after hearing two go down in six months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.