LP Storage Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Meddle_Guy, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Excellent work :thumbsup:

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yes, I saw your post but I guess I didn't click in to what you were saying.

I don't think I've ever seen cardboard shipping boxes (12X12).... but it's worthwhile to ask. Thanks!

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They are bigger than 12x12 and fit the Expedit cubes nice and tightly, in the UK they are the boxes that 25 x 12"s/20 x LPs are shipped out from the pressing plants in, if I have any left I'll try and post a picture in the next couple of days.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you find my pictures in the post pictures of your collection thread you will see that they push the records forward on the shelve as well, there are boxes behind all my records on the Expedits.

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Thanks! Now I don't have any records on the floor anymore! Can't wait to do the other one and fill it with LPs.

JG

6. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:agree:

I call it "the wall". :D

I have 2 Expedits, the 5x5 one and the 2 x 4 one. Currently the large one uses the wall for a backing. For the small one I cut 1/4" tall strips of wood that are 13" wide, spray painted them black and used a nail gun to attach them to the back of the shelf so the LPs wouldn't go all the way through. I plan to do that next to the large one eventually, I just need to pull all of the LPs out first. :sigh:

7. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

What is it that you don't like about the boltz? I have one that is now five shelves high and is sturdy.

Boltz LP 5 shelves full SHF.jpg

8. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have one of these, but 5 shelves is too tall for me as I used to live in earthquake country. Other than that they are very nice racks.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Same here but unfinished basement.

10. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

11. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I love my Ikea Besta cabinets - with frosted glass doors.

:edthumbs:

Attached Files:

12. Expedit user here. Try looking on Craigslist too. I recently bought a 58"x58" and a 31"x58, both for $60.00 in excellent condition.

13. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

For those of you who use the Ikea Expedit: how long have you had it? How has it held up through the years? I see it's made of particle board, which is why I would think the shelves would start to sag after a while.

14. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Make sure that if you are using the 4x4 Expedit you attach a backing board to it. Otherwise it could fail in an earthquake.

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I must have had my four for over ten years and although they may appear flimsy mine have been fully loaded all that time and for most of it have had additional units on top with an extra thousand or so records.

I noticed an earlier poster claimed the quality had gone down about seven years ago, I don't know if that's the case, but I can recommend the older ones 100%.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Talking of Epedits, here in the UK they used to be marketed as bookcases or for ornaments, then a few years ago they picked up on us vinyl users and started to use pictures with records on them, or even mention records in their copy, it was one of those signs that vinyl was back.

I'm sure that their perfect sizing for records is entirely by accident, but the ideal that a vinyl loving Swedish designer designed the Expedit in the hope we would embrace it has some appeal.:D

17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Currently I am using an old Kenwood stereo stand from the 80's to hold my new lp's and equipment. Early on the new year i will be building a full wall unit to hold everything (Equipment, LP's, CD's, DVD/BD's).

18. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Go into Lowes or HD and buy some flat plain molding and nail or screw it to the back.

FWIW, I glued up the units which made them stronger (I have the 6x6 units).

19. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

This is true. The basement is perfectly fine, as long as the appropriate precautions are taken.

20. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Dirk, It is remotely possible that you will experience an earthquake in Virginia, but personally, I would not worry about it. There is, however, something else that you may have to worry about during a certain season every year, they call them hurricanes! :winkgrin:

21. Pug

Those are cool looking! :thumbsup:

22. Pug

I've had mine for around 3 years now and it's been holding up great! :thumbsup:

23. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know, there is always something..... at least with hurricanes you get some warning. I do have room upstairs for the LP's but thought it would be nice to store them close but out of the way.

Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

That gothic little rack looks perfect for me. Thanks for the info!!

25. wheatthin

wheatthin Forum Resident

I have two of the 2x4 units and I attached 1/8 inch luan to the back. I did it for two reasons. One was to keep the records from extending out the other side and the other was to eliminate dust from entering the back side of the rack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.