Louis Armstrong

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shokhead, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Applause forever Pops!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

[​IMG]

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

3. Lonson

[​IMG]

He changed it all.

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Happy Birthday Louie !!!

Attached Files:

5. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I was listening to Phil Schaap on that New York radio station he's on. A lot of nice Okah stuff from the 1920s and after, with Phil doing his professorial thing in between sets. "Cuban Pete" was especially nice. A very nice afternoon to celebrate his birthday!

What are the best ways to get into Louis Armstrong for a newbie? I have some odds and ends but nothing definitive. He obviously brought a lot to the table before "Hello Dolly," right?

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

[​IMG]

7. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Thanks for that! I will look for it.

8. Lonson

Another suggestion, one of my favorites, the first Armstrong lp I really focused on and a consummate example of his working band stopping to make an interesting concpet record on tour, and illustrating how hip and entertaining these men were.

[​IMG]

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the SACD. A fun disc.

10. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I actually have this one. It's a good listen, but not as interesting as the vintage stuff (1920s/30s) Shaap was playing on the radio this afternoon. I love that flat pre-fidelity sound on Louis's horn!

11. Lonson

Well, over time that has actually become as interesting to me as the vintage stuff, I love it all. Plays W. C. Handy is really special to me, earned that status over time.

12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I consider Armstrong the single greatest musician of the 20th century, and not just for his joyous trumpet playing but for his enormous influence on every jazz artist that followed (and many outside jazz, I'm sure). IIRC, Billie Holiday said her singing style was derived almost entirely from his. And there's no artist who can put a smile on my face quicker -- and for a longer period of time -- than Satchmo. I recall seeing clips of him on the Ken Burns Jazz series and just weeping with joy during his solos. Just a one-of-a-kind talent.

Lonson and Carserguev like this.
  13. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I couldn't have put it better myself!! :edthumbs:

I'm listening to the complete Dukes of Dixieland set right now, and you can bet I'm smiling! :righton:

14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

:righton:Enjoy it, man!

15. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

The All Stars band of 1948-1951 was remarkable as well, especially on their live recordings. It's Armstrong, Jack Teagarden, Barney Bigard, Earl Hines, Arvell Shaw, and Sid Catlett (or sometimes Cozy Cole), with occasional vocals by Velma Middleton. A number of concerts later appeared on obscure LP labels. A great live CD of this group--though LP versions sound a bit better--is The All Stars In Philadelphia:

http://discogs.com/All-Stars-The-The-All-Stars-In-Philadelphia/release/2819747

For dedicated fans of this band, there's the CD Mr. President, from a 1949 Trieste show. Quality perhaps not as listenable as the Philadelphia disc, yet Russian Lullaby is epic, showcasing underrated bassist Arvell Shaw:

http://allmusic.com/album/honorary-president-of-hcf-mw0000213301

One more, this 1949 Zurich concert seems worthy (I haven't heard it):

http://allmusic.com/album/live-in-zurich-switzerland-181049-mw0000781726

The group also performed in the MGM movie The Strip (1951).

16. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.