Louis Armstrong

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shokhead, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If you are referring to Sam Butera, there's a thread about his passing here. It did indeed not get very much attention.

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thanks. Yes he recorded Stardust with orchestra. Do you say better for the sound?

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Like the earlier Hot Fives/Hot Sevens JSP set the big-band JSP set was also mastered by the late great John R.T. Davies.

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thanks, Hans. It sounds great, too.

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

No, both sets are great sounding and they cover different material. The sides with Louis and the Orchestra on this set are probably my favorite Satchmo. Stardust and Chinatown, doesnt get any better than that.

6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

How is that new Mosaic box? I have had it on my list for awhile but I have not bought it yet.

8. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The new Mosaic box is great. Great sound, great material.

For me, the Decca era on the Mosaic box contains some of the most sheerly enjoyable Armstrong, for listening. I just love Swing That Music, Ev'nin' Time, Lyin' To Myself, The Skeleton in the Closet, Jubilee, My Sweet Hunk of Trash.

There may be "better" Armstrong from an artistic achievement standpoint, but those Decca sides are so much fun to listen to!

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Agreed.

10. therockman

Thanks!!!

:cheers:

11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thanks. I'll try the JSPs.

12. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I have this 15 CD box set I got for about $5.00 at Newbury Comics years ago that doesnt sound that bad . . in fact it is quite good.

13. grunter

grunter New Member

Does anyone else have trouble finding full unedited versions of some of his material? I've been trying to supplement the Hot 5's&7's boxes I have with his later material (yes, I like some of his poppier stuff, I admit) but so many of the compilations unknowingly give you Single Edits. Frustrating. Is there some sort of definitive, full length/master takes/whatever box for his later stuff as well? I can't help it, I'm a completist :)

14. grunter

grunter New Member

Anybody? It's hard to figure out what releases were actual albums he put out back in the day, so many CDs get repackaged as compilations and don't tell you the included versions are edited down. Any tips would be appreciated about navigating his later material's sea of releases!

15. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Can ya give me something to work with? What titles? Far as I know/remember there are no "serious" box sets devoted to anything past the Louis / Ella albums and Mosaic's 1949-1958 Decca All-Stars set.

16. grunter

grunter New Member

That's basically what I was wondering about, since I'm new to his catalog. Thanks!

17. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

18. grunter

grunter New Member

I have to thank you for this suggestion, I ran out to the store and lo and behold, they had a copy. Magnificent stuff.

19. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

20. therockman

Anybody have the Louis Armstrong set from Mosaic Records? How is it? Should I pick it up? I only own the Sony Essential set, but I like that a lot.

21. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Well, in a nutshell, its Louis playing some amazing trumpet on some awful songs.

The Hot 5 and 7 should be experienced first. Get the JSP box.

22. therockman

Thank you.

23. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Ayybody compare the MOFI Armstrong and Ellington to the Classic Records DAD? I've got the DAD and really like it. Wondering if I should stop there. Also, is the MOFI Ella And Louis Again much better than the Dennis Drake Polydor? And what's the best digital version of Clap Hands, the Drake or the Classic Records gold CD?

24. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident

25. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.