Look! Listen! Vibrate! COMPiLE! Share Your SMiLE Tracklists and Stories Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bikemore

bikemore Member

The back cover says something like "see label for correct playing order." As a matter of logic, that indicates that the order listed on the cover is incorrect. I really don't see how you can argue otherwise.

2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

It only indicates that the order was not finally decided, not that it was wrong. And a preliminary song order with missing final approval is more legitimate than anything else.....except for BWPS of course. :)

3. dallasone

dallasone Active Member

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I've seen an official pressing 45 of GV credited only to Brian. It was in a second hand dealer. I think it was probably an Australian pressing.

4. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Yeah, I like this too. Nice and easy.

5. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I found this Michael Vosse first hand account of the Smile sessions/era that lou posted a couple days back quite illuminating as regards sequencing; added to the 'Prayer' info above, Vosse recalls that 'Surf's Up' was the proposed closer, and there was an elements 'suite' in some capacity.

6. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I've been working on a SMiLE - the problem I have is the time length...there is so much material here, and I want to get one around the 40 minute mark. I've done some editing of tracks, from various sources, but in some cases (like H&V), I just can't bring myself to edit anything. So I'm not exactly there yet, but here's what I've got. (I do like the flow):

Side 1 (22:19)

1.Our Prayer (1:07)
    2.Heroes & Villians (with 'In the Cantina' and 'Gee' portions) (8:22)
    3.Do You Like Worms? (with 'Bicycle Rider' etc) (4:16)
    4.Child Is The Father Of The Man (3:26)
    5.The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine (1:10)
    6.Good Vibrations (3:58)

Side 2 (23:48)

1.Cabinessence (4:36)
    2.He Gives Speeches (1:41)
    3.Wonderful (2:02)
    4.The Elements (10:11) includes....

Earth (Vegtables)
    Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow)
    Water (I Love To Say Da Da)
    Air (Wind Chimes)

5.Surf's Up (5:18)

Total Time: 46:12

7. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I've got it pretty much done now - I found it really fun (although work intensive) to edit in my favorite parts and edit out things that didn't fit the flow.

The Beach Boys
    SMiLE

[​IMG]
    Side 1 (20:14)

1.Our Prayer (1:07)
    2.Heroes & Villians (7:48)
    -featuring 'In The Cantina' and 'Gee' sections
    3.Do You Like Worms (2:53)
    -featuring 'Roll Plymouth Rock' and 'Bicycle Rider'
    4.Child Is The Father of The Man (3:26)
    5.The Old Master Painter/You Were My Sunshine (1:10)
    6.Good Vibrations (3:48)
    -this is a stereo version, the best I've ever heard it

Side Two (20:53)

1.CabinEssence (4:36)
    2.He Gives Speeches (1:41)
    -unlikely to appear on the original album, I know, but I like the way it works as the second track of side two, and the snare drum really kicks!
    3.Wonderful (2:02)
    4.The Elements Suite (7:14)
    -Vegatables (Earth)
    -Mrs. O Leary's Cow (Fire)
    -I Love To Say Da Da (Water)
    -Wind Chimes (Air)

5.Surf's Up (5:18)

Total Running Time: 41:08

8. TheGenuinePig

TheGenuinePig Member

Last night I finished my personal SMiLE mix. My goal in creating this mix was to have a 95% accurate representation of what the finished album may have sounded like if released in mid to late 1967. The tracks on the album are the 12 tracks that appear on the back cover. I’m one that believes that the original album would not have been one large or multiple movements, or bonded songs. I believe the album would have been just a normal album format with 12 songs, almost all with fade outs. I also think I remember someone on the forum in one of the SMiLE threads citing a Van Dyke Parks quote saying that the album was going to be just 12 songs with fades as well.
    The whole album is mixed in mono, just like how Brian and Chuck Britz would’ve done in 1967. There was no cheating either (meaning no bits from BWPS, etc.). The only time that any non-1966-1967 material was used in my mix was the 1968 lead vocal for Cabin Essence, and the 1971 Surf’s Up tag. Also, no crossfading between bits or anything of the like was used in this mix, simply because I’m fairly confident that technique wouldn’t have been used in the production of the album.
    I’m very excited for The Smile Sessions box set (mainly hoping for some sonic upgrades and some new material), however if nothing unheard or new turns up on the box set, I won’t be too disappointed because I’m honestly quite pleased with this mix I made.

Side One (21:49)

1. Heroes And Villains (4:59)

The album opens with Our Prayer (which is not a separate track, it’s part of Heroes And Villains on this mix), which then goes in to the Gee section and then the short trombone intro (ala BWPS). After that, the main song Heroes And Villains is the cantina version. Nothing more, nothing less.. The cantina version is an authentic February 1967 Brian Wilson and Chuck Britz mix, so why change that. Plus, I like the cantina version a lot.
    2. Do You Like Worms (3:40)
    Basically the GV box set version, but with the Bicycle Rider lyrics/vocal part intact unlike the GV box set version. I thought about (and did at one point) fly in the verses from BWPS, but after thinking about it for a little while, even though it worked so well and ultimately “completed” the song, I know that it was crossing the line of what post-1966/1967 material can be used and what can’t. So I left it as is.
    3. Cabin Essence (3:15)
    The 20/20 version pretty much, but to mix it down to mono, I ended up just isolating the right channel and switching it to mono. The stereo mix on 20/20 really isn’t “true” stereo, it’s basically just an illusion of true stereo by using ADT vocals and some discreet channel reverb effects. By isolating the right channel, this made the vocals much more prominent (which seem buried in the original stereo mix) and drier. It sounds much better in my opinion.
    4. The Old Master Painter (1:09)
    Nothing really different here from every other SMiLE mix. Just mixed down to mono.
    5. The Elements (5:03)
    By far the most interesting track on SMiLE. The track begins with the H&V/Fire Intro, which then goes in to Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow. I edited it down a couple bars so that it doesn’t drag as much. There is then a hard edit in to I Wanna Be Around/Workshop, for the Earth portion. Although not the most natural choice for the Earth portion, I Wanna Be Around has just always had a bluesy earthy feel to it to me. Plus, Workshop also represents rebuilding after the fire (which is rumored by some to have actually been intended for The Elements). There’s then a hard-edit in to the Water chant (which works surprisingly well – seems pretty much seamless). The Water chant then goes in to the wa-wa-hoo-wa section of I Love To Say Da-Da. After I Love To Say Da-Da, the Air portion is represented by the Whispering Winds chant, which slowly fades out, ending The Elements suite.
    6. Good Vibrations (3:43)
    The original mono single version. I am fairly confident that nothing would’ve been changed on the album version from the single version, I mean, why would they?

Side Two (17:07)

1. Vega-Tables (3:27)
    Don’t really know how to describe the composition of this track. Not really much different from every other version floating around, however, the vibraphone part during the second verse and bridge has been restored. Sounds great.
    2. Wind Chimes (2:26)
    Basically the GV box set version.
    3. I’m In Great Shape (2:00)
    One of the biggest mysteries of SMiLE. Brian’s demo has been combined with one of three known instrumental tracks from the song, which then goes in to another instrumental version of the track, before hard-editing in to a bit from the Heroes And Villains sessions. The bit I used seems to work almost perfectly with the rest of the song. I just had to bring it down one half-step digitally (curse me) to get it to match the key of the rest of the song. The tempo matches and everything – worked out perfectly, and extended the song length as well.
    4. Wonderful (2:03)
    Basically the GV box set version. I really wanted to use a version that has the yodeling part intact, but I couldn’t find one.
    5. Child Is Father Of The Man (2:58)
    The only track from the SMiLE sessions that I always truly felt was incomplete. I used a few different Child Is Father Of The Man bits to construct the song. Don’t know how to describe them in words.
    6. Surf’s Up (4:13)
    The finale of the album. This is just a mono mixed version the Purple Chick version, which is amazing. If it ain’t broken (and sounds awesome), why fix it.

Total time: 38:56

Here's the CD label I made as well:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for all the super in-depth details about every single track...I can't help myself.

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

GenuinePig, I love, love, LOVE your SMiLE comp! I like how you did "The Elements" and your "I'm In Great Shape" sounds tantalizing! Have you considered updating this with the MOJO mixes of "Cabinessence" and "Wonderful"? You'll get those nice clear lead vocals on the former, and the vodels on the latter!

10. TheGenuinePig

TheGenuinePig Member

Thanks for the kind words! Yes I did consider updating the mix with the MOJO mixes, but unfortunately, I don't have a turntable so I can't use my copy, and the needledrop of the single I have found on the web was quite poor quality. If someone wants to point me in the right direction, let me know! :edthumbs:

By the way, the entire presentation/packaging of my personal mix is going to be quite nice as well. I make mini-LPs, so I'm planning on making a mini-LP replica sleeve of the original mono SMiLE jacket, with a reproduction of the original 12-page booklet (I have a decent res copy on my computer finally), a reproduction of the original Capitol inner sleeve (the 1967 one would be the most historically accurate, but unfortunately, that's the only one that I don't have a hi-res scan of on my computer, so I may have to use the Capitol '66 inner sleeve instead), and a CD with the above vinyl-looking label on it. I'll post pics when it's done (could be a while though - I need a new printer)

11. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great pics!

12. bluej

bluej Senior Member

I put together this SMiLE mix today, but I wanted to try something a bit different.

Basically this mix consists of SMiLE (or closely related to SMiLE) tracks dating from 1966-1971. However, I wanted to restrict myself to only versions of the songs officially released between '66 and '71. This means no bootlegged tracks, no tracks from the GV box, no BWPS segues, nothing.

While it's (predictably) nothing incredible, it makes for some fun listening. It's very interesting to hear all of these tracks juxtaposed against one another; some are very close to their "original" SMiLE versions, others are vastly different.
    It comes in at a nice "album" length too. :)

Side One:
    Our Prayer (from 20/20) 1:09
    Heroes and Villains (from Smiley Smile/Single A-side) 3:41
    Vegetables (from Smiley Smile) 2:10
    Mama Says (from Wild Honey) 1:07
    She's Goin' Bald (He Gives Speeches) (from Smiley Smile) 2:17
    Cabinessence (from 20/20) 3:36
    Good Vibrations (from Smiley Smile/Single A-side) 3:39
    Total: 17:39

Side Two:
    Little Bird (Child is the Father of the Man) (from Friends) 2:00
    Wonderful (from Smiley Smile) 2:25

"The Elements"
    Air: Wind Chimes (from Smiley Smile) 2:39
    Fire/Earth: Fall Breaks and Back to Winter (W. Woodpecker Symphony) (from Smiley Smile) 2:19
    Water: Cool, Cool Water (Love to Say Da Da) (from Sunflower) 5:04

You're Welcome (Single B-side) 1:08
    Surf's Up (from Surf's Up) 4:12
    Total: 19:47

Total Album Length: 37:26

-Simon (bluej's son)

13. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I like this set as it's easy for the novice SMiLEologist. :D No editing and all the tracks are easily found.

Now, I know this is probably sacrilegious to some, but is it possible to compile a Beach Boys version of SMiLE using officially released tracks and following BWPS track list?

Here's what I've come up with thus far (thanks Simon (bluej's son):

1. Our Prayer (from 20/20)
    2. Heroes and Villains (from Smiley Smile/Single A-side)
    3. Do You Like Worms [Roll Plymouth Rock] (from Good Vibrations Box Set)
    4. Barnyard (unknown)
    5. Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine (unknown)
    6. Cabinessence (from 20/20)
    7. Wonderful (from Smiley Smile)
    8. Song For Children (unknown)
    9. Little Bird [Child is the Father of the Man] (from Friends)
    10. Surf's Up (from Surf's Up)
    11. I’m In Great Shape / I Wanna Be Around / Workshop (unknown)
    12. Vegetables (from Smiley Smile)
    13. On A Holiday [Cool, Cool Water (Love to Say Da Da) from Sunflower or Good Vibrations Box Set]
    14. Wind Chimes (from Smiley Smile)
    15. Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow [Fire/Earth: Fall Breaks and Back to Winter] (W. Woodpecker Symphony) (from Smiley Smile)
    16. In Blue Hawaii (unknown)
    17. Good Vibrations (from Smiley Smile/Single A-side)

:)
    SMiLE

14. 905

905 Senior Member

One of many thoughts about a Smile line up, from 2001 or so...

Our Prayer/Do You Like Worms
    Heroes and Villains (with cantina)
    Cabinessence
    Child Is The Father Of The Man
    The Old Master Painter/You Were My Sunshine
    Wonderful

Good Vibrations
    Vegetables
    Wind Chimes
    Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
    Love To Say Da Da
    Surf's Up

15. DarkAudioHorse

DarkAudioHorse New Member

I like this version! Cool idea! :righton:

16. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

I had no idea that the mix I put together at the turn of the century relied so heavily on D. Prokopy's until I saw his tracklisting and found mine was nearly identical. Thanks for all your work. I threw in link tracks just so I could have the "core" songs all in one place, so it isn't meant to be a vinyl substitute, and runs about 53 minutes. Listens quite well, and I just put it back together using the Smile Sessions box for improved sound.

Our Prayer (1:06)
    Heroes and Villains Pts 1&2 + Barnyard (8:27)
    --Part One and the first 2:49 of Part Two are identical to the TSS box (rather jazzed with myself when I saw that), then mine ends with 2:45-4:11 of the Heroes and Villains on Disc 1 of the box. Used the new fan mix of Barnyard that loses the piano.
    Do You Like Worms + Bicycle Rider (4:57)
    --Bicycle Rider bits are Do You Like Worms (part 4) 0:28-0:59 faded into H&V (Sections) 0:00-0:55
    Old Master Painter/You Were My Sunshine (1:03) + He Gives Speeches (0:56)
    Wonderful (2:03)
    --Vegetables Insert Pt 4 (Bopbops) after Wonderful just to keep listeners on their toes
    Child Is Father of the Man + Bicycle Rider Theme (4:40)
    --CIFOTM is followed by the track assembly from SOT16, which I dug. To build it myself, I took the last bit of Version 1 takes from the TSS box, and then looped 2:52-3:13 a couple of times after that, then used the Bicycle Rider theme from H&V (sections) 0:56-1:20.
    Cabinessence (3:30)
    Good Vibrations (4:19)
    Look (2:37)
    Vegetables + Holidays (5:38)
    --no flyins on my Holidays..it's the instrumental
    Wind Chimes (2:33)
    --essentially the GV box version
    Mrs. O'Leary's Cow (2:34)
    Love to Say Dada (2:23)
    I Wanna Be Around/Workshop (1:24)
    Surf's Up (4:12)
    --dunno if this is the Anne Wallace mix as I never had a version named that; I used Smile A.D.'s v2.0 because it was the closest to my old beloved one (without the "bygone"s and Carl in the first portion).
    You're Welcome

17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Thanks, but I can't take much credit for it, as "my" version relies very heavily on Priore's.

18. Antivenom9808

Antivenom9808 Forum Resident

Mine is:

- A SIDE -

1.HEROES AND VILLAINS ('Smiley Smile' version without fade including the 'final' section)
    2.VEGA - TABLES (without intro. Repeats 1st chorus before the 2nd 'Slow' chorus. Without the 'Gee' section)
    3.DO YOU LIKE WORMS?
    4.WONDERFUL

5.CHILD IS FATHER OF THE MAN (with some 'Look' snippets)
    6.THE OLD MASTER PAINTER ('My Only Sunshine' included)
    7.CABIN ESSENCE

- B SIDE -

8.GOOD VIBRATIONS
    9.I'M IN GREAT SHAPE ('Banyard' then 'I'm In Great Shape' then 'Breathe' from SMILE AD, then 'Workshop' with some reverbs effects. It's wonderful)
    10.WIND CHIMES (Includes the 2nd section and the final part of 'Holidays' as a intro)
    11.THE ELEMENTS ('Mrs. Leary's O' Cow' and 'Love to Say Dada')
    12.SURF'S UP (The masterpiece. Includes the instrumental intro from 'Smile Millenium'. Great finale. After 10 seconds, 'Gee' is played backwards and faster. Later, with 10 seconds hiatus, the album finishes with 'Our Prayer'. The best album of all time).

Ultimate 1967 Smile. It's amazing. Love it, love it.

19. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Is it downloadable anywhere?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.