Living Stereo, Belafonte at Carnegie Hall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by avbuff, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mewdisk

mewdisk Member

Just picked up this album from a used store and they had 5 copies available,
    bought the 'import' version, pressed in Germany for only $12.
    Wow, what a sound, although it's a bit noisy I just love it!

Puts to shame many more modern recordings :agree:

2. Good Vibes

Good Vibes Forum Resident

This album is on my wish list... Which is the better version to purchase... mono or stereo? Thanks for your help! I love this forum... what a wealth of knowledge here.

3. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Have 7s copy VG++ for $8 and picked up a 5s MINT copy for $40...a bit high but was unplayed/mint cvr & vinyl. Both pressed in Montreal Red shaded Nipper label. Fun LP, not many ladies over 40 in the audience!

sean

4. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

This album has always been considered a Stereo wonder, the imaging and prescense of Belefonte on stage is unmatched. The mono is interesting to listen to in comparison, but I believe the Stereo is where it's at for a sonic experience. I've heard that the original RCA silver dog pressings were pressed out of absolute phase? The later orange label pressings are phase correct?

5. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Seconded. I just picked up a nice 1s mono set to compare to my 1s stereo. The mono sounds fine but lacks the oomph of the stereo. I'll do another comparison for the phase question ... don't remember hearing anything weird with the mono, but the out of phase stereo issue has never really bothered me either.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Probably why they sound so good.

7. Good Vibes

Thanks fortherecord and Arkoffs for the very helpful feedback... I will begin the hunt for a stereo version in near mint condition.

8. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I had a couple of extra copies that I gave away as gifts when I got the Classic Records version.

This record in nice condition is easy to find, at least out here.

9. Good Vibes

Has anyone heard the Classic 200g release? Is it woth the $100 dollar asking price?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.