Living Stereo, Belafonte at Carnegie Hall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by avbuff, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I love the stereo LP of this from the 50s which I got for like $3...

2. larryk

larryk Senior Member

I just picked this up at a yard sale today for 25 cents. :righton:

Orange label. Haven't had a chance to fire up the turntable and listen yet, but looking forwared to it.

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

It also was the first non-Broadway themed album to actually have the catalog number prefixes of LOC/LSO Stamped on the Lp's and Covers. Michael Boyce

4. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alright! :righton: I do hope that the Orange Label sounds as good as my Nipper.

5. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Score of the year!:eek:(If this is an original Red Seal, these used to go for a small fortune in Toronto in the 90's. If they were in very good shape, audiophiles would be all over them!)

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

This would make a good Living Stereo SACD then.

I didn't know before that this was done in 3 track.

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Mine says 1S on Sides 1,3,4 and 5S on Side 2.

8. avbuff

According to Sung, your copy should sound very nice. The copy I picked up has different numbers, much higher in the pressings, but even through my modest system, the presentation is simply wonderful.
    I do intend to grab another copy, if it is clean and cheap.

9. Suppoosedly the SACD is the remix, I think I read that somewhere . . . .

I have 2 copies of the Nipper. Never felt the need to replace them, one was $2 one was $5.

10. JeromeS

JeromeS New Member

I recently did a needledrop of this album and is one of my favorite albums. Considering how often I play it it's a good thing I made a needledrop. For those wondering how it sounds, here is a 1 minute sample I made. It is from the end of the song "The Marching Saints". File is in FLAC format and is 6Mb.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xstubd3kugz

11. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What auction # was that?

12. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The RCA Orange label pressings have correct absoloute phase whereas the original silver dog pressing do not. THe most telling difference is in the sound of the audience applause. With correct phase, the clapping sounds more natural and the imaging is better.

13. vgregory

vgregory Forum Resident

I have just got the the Classic boxset 45 rpm - 8 lp set. Haven't heard it yet....... listening to Charlie Haden 3lp set Private Collection from Naim Label....

14. downhill

downhill Senior Member

I love this album. It's got to be one of the greatest live recordings of all time.

I have that SACD and imho, it's nothing more than something taken from the RCA redbook. At least to my ears. Not that it sounds bad at all, it's just that it sound pretty much like the CD.

The Classic CD is simply amazing.

I have this on reel to reel and also a nm vinyl which I won't play as the Classic CD is pretty damn good.

15. avbuff

Yes, I've read that before.
    The applause on my Nipper sounded very natural to me on my Onix speakers. I recently purchased a pair of Mobile Fidelity OMLs, which are very revealing, and when I get home from work tonight, I must throw Harry on the TT once again, and pay close attention to the imaging and applause.

16. I've got a 10s/13s that I picked up for next to nothing, clean non scratched sides, it sounds so good that I'll play it in spite of not being that big of a Belafonte fan. One of the few records I have that I'll listen to on those terms.

17. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Didn't the orange label start appearing roughly at the same time as RCA introduced the dreaded Dynaflex? In which case, how you get an orange lable copy of any RCA LP without almost certainly getting a Dynaflex?

Please be patient - still learning...

18. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

I think the Orange RCA label started in 1968,
    while Dynaflex was just a bit later.

Not all Orange label RCA's are Dynaflex.
    I got a couple of Elvis releases of the time that are thick, non-flexable discs.

19. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I have a Rockaway pressed Dynaflex copy of this LP which is better (heavier) than some of the Indiana Dynaflex pressings I've seen. Some Dynaflexes are thicker vinyl that others. It sounds and tracks really good too!

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I picked my Belafonte at Carnegie Hall for a buck at a thrift store. :righton:

I agree that it's a great live recording.

21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have the mono LP version of this.

22. avbuff

I would like to audition the mono version along side the stereo. You obviously will not experience the phasing problems that I have read about. My copy does not seem to suffer this problem, but I'm wondering if I would notice if it does exist.
    Am I correct in thinking that a comparison with the mono version would expose such a problem?

23. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The Dynaflex was 1970, to be precise. I've noticed, though, that Rockaway, NJ Dynaflex pressings were perhaps the thinnest, the Hollywood pressings the thickest, and Indianapolis somewhere in-between, though more in common with Rockaway in thinness.

24. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Yes,you're right..the labe changed their label in 1968 (In March)...The label was changed yet again in 1976 back to black,returning the "Dog & Phonograph" to the label that year..They ditched the "Dynagroove inbetween 1972 and 1977. Michael Boyce

25. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

If based on the 45's, the orange label design took effect in late October 1968 . . . it was in March that the "modern" RCA logo was first seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.