Little River Band's Greatest?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Okay, I can attest to the fact that they have indeed, put the correct mixes on the LRB Greatest Hits cd from 2000. I just picked it up this afternoon.

All is right with the world. :)

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I don't hear horns on "Man On Your Mind" on my copy of the 2000 remaster and there is an RE2 in the hub on the disc.

3. Hawkman

I don't see one. My original from 2000 with the alternate mixes has the master number with 'RE1' after it. The one that I just picked up today has the master number followed by what looks like a '70'. There is also a C11950 before the master number and 'CI/CA'. The original also has 'Mastered By EMI MFG." on the hub. The new one doesn't.

In fact, the only way that I can tell the difference between the two other than that, is the new one has a crack in the front of the case. :)

4. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

If you want the full version of It's a Long Way There, go for the first album on CD - I picked mine up for AUD $8 (US $6) locally in Australia, but you can get it for about AUD $10 online from one of the stores mentioned above. Good sound, and the rest of the album ain't bad either...

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Mine does have "Mastered by EMI Mfg." on it.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well thanks to a kind Hoffman Forum'er, I now have this CD with the wrong mixes! I'd like to add to the conversation that the song "Playing To Win" on the "first pressings" of this 2000 Greatest Hits, is the rare 12" version of the song, which adds yet ANOTHER treat for we L.R.B. collectors!

Now that I've got this rare first pressing I can safely say that Wayne Nelsons full lead vocal on "Take It Easy On Me", just DOESN'T work at all for me. Glenn is the man for that one! And the "Man On Your Mind" with horns, just plain STINKS! This CD's version of "The Night Owls" is a slightly tampered mix with instruments louder or softer in places than the version we all know. This version of "Night Owls" also fades before the final sting at the end, which, IMO, was what gave it a cool completeness in the first place.

This is one cool find for this L.R.B. fan, especially since I didn't even know it existed till I read this thread, again proving that the place to learn and truly talk music on the web is here at the Steve Hoffman Forums!

7. Hawkman

They changed it almost immediately so that's possible.

8. Hawkman

There ya GO!! L.R.B. lost me after the 'Time Exposure' album so even with the first pressing of the cd I STILL didn't know about the 'Playing To Win' mix! Four alternate mixes instead of three. Cool.

I agree with you on the Wayne Nelson vocal for 'Take It Easy On Me'. Glenn Shorrock nails it and it just sounds better. The mix on 'The Night Owls' has a bit more 'chunk' to it on the alternate mix. 'The Man On Your Mind' mix with the horns surprises me for a George Martin production. I think the band had it right when they mixed it without the horns.

I need to get the first couple of L.R.B. albums on cd. Can anyone recommend any good editions of these? I have the Capitol version of "First Under The Wire" and the One Way version of "Time Exposure". Any clues as to good versions of the first four? :help:

Was 'Backstage Pass' ever available on cd?

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Although I never bought the CD of "Backstage Pass" because it didn't thrill me. Glenn Shorrock "LIVE" has a bit to be desired, IMO! But here is a link to an E-bay seller, who has it cheap as a "buy it now"!

(Note: I don't know anything about this seller or about the listings honesty)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4707923390&rd=1

Chris C

10. Hawkman

It seemed a bit shaky to me. I may try to find the out of print One Way version.

I listened to 'Playing To Win' on both of versions of the Greatest Hits cd. They are both the same so they must have decided to use the 12" mix for that cd. Not that I would have know if you hadn't told me but I never heard the album version. :)

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

While browsing at Barner and Noble's music department tonight, I decided to check out some LRB tunes on B&N's music sampling system. For the heck of it, I checked out their "Greatest Hits" album (the one with the cover of the girl swimming in the pool). OMG!! The version of "Take It Easy On Me" on B&N's music sampling system is the deleted alternative version with Wayne Nelson on lead vocals!! And ironically, the notes that was displayed for the album on the computer screen mentioned the collector value of the deleted alternative versions on the early pressings of the expanded "Greatest Hits".

12. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Soundboy,

Too funny! I just saw "The Definitive Collection" (Year 2005) at Borders today. I just might have to get this version and sell the year 2000 collection (Greatest Hits). Though I will miss the song "Face in the Crowd," I'm sure there are others on the new comp that are even better!
    ###​

13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

save Your money and get BSG!

14. Hawkman

They just released the DVD here in the States and I bought it AGAIN! Sometimes the player that I have to play the foreign DVDs cuts out the left channel of audio. Plus, the new one has an extra audio track. I forgot which one is the newer one though.

15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

you must have liked it then!

16. Hawkman

Yes, I did! Plus, it played a lot better on my regular player than it did on the cheap one that I use for foreign discs.

It was just as much fun watching it as it was when I watched my old laserdisc back in the early 80's.

17. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

OK...there's the original GH (which I have), the "rare" 2000 GH remaster, the "corrected" 2000 GH remaster & the newer "Definitive". I am not a huge fan & just want the hits. Which one sounds the best?

Thanks!
    Dexter

18. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

19. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I bought a copy of Greatest Hits (2000 edition) and discovered that my copy has the wrong versions of Take it easy on me and Man on your mind. I'll keep it as a collectable, but now I need to buy the right version!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.