Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I am very,picky about where I eat away from home due to noise and it is part of the reason we rarely eat out anymore. I do have a few places I really enjoy but most restaurants try to create a lively, party atmosphere which is antithetical to my enjoyment of good food.

2. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I'm up surfing the web at 4am again. Too many daytime naps. :cry:

Listening to YouTube videos:

3. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Bill Evans Trio - Moon Beams
    Riverside - Original Jazz Classics remaster

[​IMG]

mwheelerk, C6H12O6, KCLizard and 13 others like this.
  4. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

5. Iamnotthewalrus

Iamnotthewalrus Forum Resident

I can't stand dining with loud crap playing or people shouting but real music at a low volume level in a restaurant is always welcome. What makes me uneasy are crowds of people and absolute silence. It's unnatural, inhuman. Eating with friends or with a woman with absolutely no conversation is inconceivable to me.

6. I'll be interested to read your impression after hearing.

Do others know whether there were notable jazz baritone horn (or 'bass trumpet') players?
    ---

WP: Paul Horn – In India (World Pacific 1967 original)

Flutist jams with India classical musicians. I had thought he'd bring more of his own improvisational jazz, but given the reverential approach—his flute is absent from large stretches—I've stronger Indian classical LPs to hear.

[​IMG]

WP: Joe Pass – For Django (Pacific Jazz 1964 mono original)

A/B of US mono vs. Tone Poet stereo.
    Mono is more exciting. It has me jumping around. The stereo (Kevin Gray) is more analytical, detailed, but dry.
    Case in point "Night and Day". Gray appears to have slowed it down. Was it sped up originally? If that's an illusion, then it captures the difference. Pass' guitar in the mono has my heart racing. Gray has me picturing the detail. Despite the crackle (Pacific pressings really weren't great), I now have to keep both.
    I suspect this was traded by someone who 'upgraded'.

[​IMG]

WP: Ray Charles – Together Again (ABC 1965 mono)

This came out about the same time as Country And Western Meets Rhythm And Blues, with the cover featured on the DCC compilation Greatest Country & Western Hits mastered by our host (I like that one). Confusing. Not seeing much overlap despite the shared theme.

[​IMG]

NP: Doug Raney Quintet – I'll Close My Eyes (Steeplechase 1982 Denmark original)

Guitarist, son of Jimmy. They often dueted, but not here.
    Delivers what I look for in a Steeplechase Record—acoustic jazz with imaginative improvisation, captured with well-balanced engineering.
    [​IMG]

7. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I’ve gotten pretty good at finding the right horse for the evening’s course. I agree excessive volume is not conducive to either digestion or enjoyment.

Six String likes this.
  8. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Ambrose Akinmusire: “Owl Song”. Joining are Bill Frisell and Herlin Riley. Imagine Oregon with trumpet. Excellent recording in 96/24 via TIDAL.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My post had not been in reference to that "original poster", who spoke of the incident you mention.

My concern was that people who are silent should not be classified and categorized.

As one who could not speak at all for about two years (frequent throat surgeries), I became weary of the scorn heaped on me because of my silence.

One time, it even led to me being physically attacked by someone who took my silence as being disrespectful.

Even the more polite people can make things difficult. When encountering someone who cannot speak, many people will start talking very loudly and very slowly, and even use words and body language as if they are speaking to a toddler child. That was almost typical.

If you used a tablet and wrote that you could not speak, they would often laugh, start speaking 'loud and slow', or grab the tablet to write something back.

Just going grocery shopping could be torture. More encounters, more of these reactions.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  10. NP: Herbie Hancock – Dedication (CBS 1974 Japan original)

A live solo set in Tokyo 1974. I streamed this first, and am glad to now hear the LP where Hancock riffs on four of his most famous tunes, some on piano, some Arp synths.
    There are several direct cut sets of Hancock playing from Japan that I'm still looking for. The Japanese did a great service in capturing more of Hancock's playing.
    RSD has been releasing some like this, though they're likely digitally sourced (Direct Step, etc).

[​IMG]

JeffMo, KCLizard, Six String and 7 others like this.
  11. WP: The Dave Brubeck Quartet – Brubeck Time (Columbia 6 eye)

First listen, and almost completes my Brubeck Columbia LP collection.

[​IMG]

NP: Eddie Marshall – Dance Of The Sun (Timeless Muse 1979)

Bobby Hutcherson fans will appreciate his extensive vibes work with drummer Marshall's quartet.
    [​IMG]

12. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

How many sessions they played together! Great frontlines.

Mark J and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Sorry for tangling up the posts, @Tribute Hope the weather is as nice as it is here.

14. He is better on his 2 Columbias

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Yes great music and coverart

davidpoole likes this.
  16. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

17. Thomashh

Thomashh Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett- Expectations

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Sylvia Syms with Kenny Burrell "Sylvia is!" OJC cd

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Mark J and Dan Steele like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"At Ease with Coleman Hawkins" Moodsville/Rudy Van Gelder Remasters OJC cd
    [​IMG]

21. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    At home from work today as my little 2yo boy is sick . I hope Mal has the same healing power as it has on his father :)

Amazing duets with the great Takeo Moriyama. Pure chemistry really going from free improvisation to pure melancholic beauty.

davidpoole, KCLizard, peter1 and 3 others like this.
  22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I assume you have the Mosaic box that has all of JJ's Columbia recordings? It's a great set if you like this LP. If vinyl is your thing, they did sell a few sets with this material on 11 LPs instead of 7 CDs.

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Cal Tjader - Several Shades Of Jade/Breeze From The East - 2 lps on 1 cd

24. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Lennie Tristano, Lee Konitz & Warne Marsh: The Atlantic Recordings #1

[​IMG]

Stu02, C6H12O6, Tony A. and 8 others like this.
  25. ganma

ganma Senior Member

NP:

Stanley Jordan – Stairway To The Rainbow
    Somethin' Else – TOCJ-5531
    [​IMG]

Stu02, KCLizard, Six String and 3 others like this.