Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

2. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Listening to this good compilation dedicated to the nice comic character of Charlie Brown:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2705263-Various-Happy-Anniversary-Charlie-Brown

The finest moments are represented by the tracks credited to B.B. King, Chick Corea, Gerry Mulligan and Dave Brubeck. I have to admit that once in a while Kenny G. makes a good impression. Amani A. W.-Murray on alto sax on quartet featuring Michael Abene is a pleasant surprise.

[​IMG]

3. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Mosaic Select Curtis Amy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. [​IMG]
    Brand new! | SVENSK JAZZHISTORIA VOL. 9
    SWEDISH JAZZ 1960-1964 ~ Various Artists ~ (Caprice) 4xCD + 2 booklets

Over the last 4 days I have been listening to a disc a day from this boxset!
    There are no shortage of always interesting selections here with 67 tracks spread over 4 discs!
    Playing time is approx 5 hours

https://www.discogs.com/release/7829184-Various-Svensk-Jazzhistoria-Vol-9-Swedish-Jazz-1960-1964-Brand-New
    https://mp3caprice.com/release/svensk-jazzhistoria-volym-9-swedish-jazz-1960-1964-brand-new-167616

5. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

McCoy Tyler Plays Coltrane Live at Village Vanguard fantastic. Audiophile quality to boot.

6. Iamnotthewalrus

Iamnotthewalrus Forum Resident

I stopped going to movie theaters other than for film festivals years ago, not that there's much of anything worth watching these days anyway. You used to be able to give people a look and they'd get the message. Not now. They'll answer their phones and blather on while looking at you as if you are rude and disrespectful for politely asking them to please stop talking so loudly. Of course, you can go to a coffee shop with friends and it's absolute silence. Couples sitting together, groups of friends and no conversation. They just stare at their phones. Maybe I'm sounding like a cranky old man but I've had conversations with younger people who complain about the same thing.

j4yheindeo, vanhooserd and fdsfd like this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, I agree. . . and to be honest I think it is from earlier in the 'fifties.

Kiss73 likes this.
  8. Lonson

This reminded me of a scene a few weeks ago at a breakfast haunt where on Friday mornings we have breakfast now with one of my wife's older sisters (she has five sisters) and her husband. Across from us was a couple I would guess was in their mid-sixties who (no phones out) ate an entire meal. . . without as far as I could tell saying a single word to each other--they ordered to the waiter and answered his queries. . . that was IT.

9. Iamnotthewalrus

That sort of thing makes me extremely uneasy. The other day, I was at a place, I always joke a bit with one of the people working there. We weren't loud and no one was waiting. A young guy came up to us and said, "like I like so like need to to like stop talking."

ILovethebassclarinet and Lonson like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Ahmad Jamal - Olympia 2000 (Dreyfus/Birdology) cd
    With George Coleman, James Cammack and Idris Muhammad for Jamal’s 70th birthday celebration.

11. Lonson

That couple not speaking to each other. . . was one reason when I was young I feared marriage. Luckily both of my marriages have been blessed with interest the one to the other.

12. Lonson

Re-visiting this one as I got called away in the midst of it for household consultation. I reluctantly agreed to the kitchen renovation that Lucinda has wanted to do for several years now. Okay maybe six years or so. It means I have to answer a zillion questions about this and that choice. . . even though I told her I would just rubber stamp what she wanted as far as color or style or material.

Sigh. Months of this ahead.

Atlantis Jazz Ensemble “Celestial Suite”

[​IMG]
    599×602 71.6 KB

[​IMG]

mgb70, Muggles, davidpoole and 5 others like this.
  13. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

I was forced to spend 50 minutes at the laundromat with an old man cranking up Facebook reels full blast :hurlleft:.

---
    I'm almost through with Duke Ellington's America by Harvey G. Cohen. A hefty read, which at first glance seemed more like a socio-political book (based on the title) with Ellington on the background, but, it turned out to be quite the opposite: America is at the background while Ellington is at the front, with all his might and glory, riding up and down the social and political currents, and waves of discrimination and racial inequality through his career spanning half a century. Cohen is neither an apologist nor an evangelist trying to redeem the sacred art of jazz from Ellington's supposed vices, like Collier and Teachout did with their respective books. He also makes excellent use of the archive available to him, mainly the Yale, Library of Congress and Smithsonian.

I recommend this to any jazz fan who wants an enjoyable read on Duke Ellington.

[​IMG]

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

How about Cecil Taylor hates you and you are a jerk?

Tribute likes this.
  15. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

The Horace Silver Quintet: Song for My Father (Cantiga para meu pai)
    Carmell Jones, trumpet; Joe Henderson, tenor sax; Horace Silver, piano; Teddy Smith, bass; Roger Humphries, drums.
    For “Calcutta Cutie” change to Blue Mitchell, trumpet; Junior Cook, tenor sax; Horace Silver, piano; Gene Taylor, bass; Roy Brooks, drums. “Lonely Woman” is a piano trio using this lineup.
    Recorded in 1963 and ’64, released in December 1964.

[​IMG]

16. Lonson

Buster Williams "Unalone" Smoke Sessions cd
    [​IMG]
    Second time spinning this one. It won't be the last!
    Great version of Joao Gilberto's "Estate" here.

KCLizard, John Fell and Six String like this.
  17. Iamnotthewalrus

Well said

Lonson likes this.
  18. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

19. Iamnotthewalrus

"Sigh. Months of this ahead."

That's an apt description for periods during much of our lives

Lonson likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many people, especially at a certain age with the beginnings of hearing disabilities, find that the noise in almost any public restaurant or cafe is oppressive and even painful. They cannot hear each other talk. Their throats become worn and painful if they try to speak louder. They may simply enjoy being out for a breakfast and watching others. Then, they may talk about them on their way home or to a park in a quiet automobile.

markp likes this.
  21. Iamnotthewalrus

That's not what we're referring to, though. In the case of my anecdote, he is young and was clearly annoyed that we were enjoying ourselves socializing. That offended him. He wanted silence to stare at his screen and we distracted him. He tried to impose his antisocial attitude on us. It worked, too. We both stopped talking. I experienced something similar in a grocery store recently. "You shouldn't talk. You should ring people up and say as little as possible". The clerk was moving quickly and was just saying a few brief things to the person she was ringing up. The woman in front of me on line scolded them both. In situations when people used to socialize, many want silence. In concert halls and theaters, they talk. Maybe it's the area I'm in.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I think the appropriate reply to that request would be - "why don't you go f**k yourself, but very quietly". However, I understand guns are not very prevalent in Australia, although it appears that knives are, judging by the news from Sydney.

Muggles and Iamnotthewalrus like this.
  23. Iamnotthewalrus

I'm in California. We have (still, sort of) a few more gun regulations than, say, Texas, but there are still plenty and it's still not like it was when I lived in Spain. I would tell people precisely that (literally, "go yourself to the s...t") and not quietly. Yes, I read about that stabbing attack.

John Buchanan likes this.
  24. John Buchanan

In other words "stop talking so I can speak normally". The age of entitlement.

25. John Buchanan

The stabbing attacks were an absolute tragedy. There was great heroism shown in the midst of it all and fortunately, the public purse won't have to maintain the perpetrator in prison for the rest of his life, unlike with the Port Arthur shooter who will be in prison for the term of his natural life.

Iamnotthewalrus likes this.