Listen to Steve Hoffman mastered Katy Lied

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leppo, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Isn't there a program out there somewhere that we can use to take a byte-level look at a "Steve" disc to verify its origin? The track times seemed to be the most foolproof method, but maybe there's a more low-level way of looking at the encoded data so we can settle this once and for all. BTW, do most of the oldest Japanese-pressed Steely Dan discs come without a barcode or do they all come with that symbol?

2. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian Thread Starter

SH Katy Lied EAC

No barcode

3. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

And here's my (J) Katy disc...

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

And here's my 31194 Katy Lied disc:

Attached Files:

5. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

And here's EAC on the same drive for a Steve-mastered Katy Lied. I think there are enough differences here to tell one from the other...

Attached Files:

6. Leppo

For additional information regarding the SH mastered Katy Lied go here.

7. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

It's worth noting that it appears that the 31194 disc has the SAME mastering as the Japanese disc that Grant (vinylrec) posted. I'd concur with Leppo that total time is the easiest non-listening way to tell these discs apart.

8. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Help me out here, guys; my head is swimming. Let me see if I interpret the earlier posts correctly. Are Grant's Japanese and Mike's 31194 discs both Steve's mastering? Their total times match Leppo's Steve disc pretty closely. What Mike's calling his Steve Katy Lied has a total time that does not match Leppo's. How exactly are you using total time to make this distinction? What am I missing? :help:

9. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Well, here's what I've got, Gardo (and I appreciate the fact that it's complicated at best). I'm contesting that the 31194 AND Grant's Japanese disc have the same (Roger Nichols) mastering, as their charts match exactly. Aurally, there is a perceptible (but SUBTLE) midrange suckout on those discs compared with the "Steve." Leppo and I should have digitally identical (ahem, nudge) discs as far as the "Steve" Katy Lied is concerned. I'll need to take a look back at the charts to check the times...

Edit: I see the times are funky. I may have a reason for that. Stay tuned.

10. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I'd just like to say "never mind" on everything I've posted in the last two weeks in this thread. Thanks. :)

11. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

May I say "never mind", too every thing I've EVER posted on this forum???

12. Leppo

Hi Gardo, that is correct. In fact, we have not yet identified another pressing that matches my Steve mastered KL exactly but our comparisons are based on various CD drives and extractions.[​IMG]

Is this against forum rules? [​IMG]

13. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Okay. Next question: given that you know from Steve himself that your KL is his mastering, would you say that any of the three discs that Mike and Grant have posted EAC data from could be identified, from that data alone, as also being Steve's mastering? Another way to ask this is whether you can say with confidence, despite various CD drives and extractions, that the data Mike and Grant have posted indicate that any of those three discs is also a Steve KL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.