Leon Russell-Delta Lady CD on Del Rack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Geller, Oct 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, although I didn't see anything on the website.

Of course, I'd really like to find a copy of the gold LR as well.

Does anyone know what bonus tracks were on the silver CD? I guess my question would be - is the silver CD necessary if you have the Capitol CD?

2. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Luke,glad to have an answer for the answer man.Masters Of War(Old Masters)is the bonus track on the silver CD.By the way,Your and Dave's Rolling Stones FAQ is outstanding.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Henry, there were TWO different versions of the silver version, the first had another bonus track (forgot what it was....) :sigh:

4. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes New Member

Wow. Arg, too many versions... ;)

!!!

5. Steve Hoffman

Tell me about it!

DCC controlled the Leon masters, so whenever I unearthed another groovy master, we did a repress with changes. It was fun while it lasted!

6. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

There are two copies of the Del-Rack issue available on GEMM. Might be worth checking out.

7. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Does "Shoot Out On the Plantation (solo version)" ring a bell?

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I guess the REAL question is, is there anything on the silver CD that's not on the gold and Capitol CDs? Of course, finding a gold copy (for a decent price) might be a problem.

BTW, thanks for the GEMM tip...looks like I should have a copy of Delta Lady on the way.

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic Thread Starter

Sure does. I have the 2-bonus track silver disc right in front of me. Shoot Out is in mono here, whereas on the gold disc it's in stereo, so the 1st silver disc IS unique. On the inner ring you can see the mastering date of 06/30/89H. The gold disc was mastered in 11/93. God, I love this album!!!

10. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that's right. I do remember now. What I can't remember is why I took the second bonus track off the silver CD in the first place.

Leon might not have liked it I think.....

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic Thread Starter

That's what you said in the CD Watchdog in ICE. So why did he like it for the gold CD? Because it was now in stereo???

12. Steve Hoffman

We had already sold the stuff to Capitol, and THEY said "go ahead and put it on there", so I did a stereo mix and did it. Leon got over it I think....;)

13. Evan

Evan Senior Member

What/Where is GEMM?

14. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

15. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Well, I ordered a copy and the vendor canceled my order. Said it was not in stock anymore. Bummer :( :mad:

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

John, what are the differences between the regular and gold CD versions?

In case you've all missed it, I found the Del Rack and CD and posted a review:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8417

17. Steve Hoffman

Funny. After 10 years, someone still gives a crap.

Delta Lady, the song.

Rough mix (less compression) on Silver Shelter/DCC Leon blue album
    Final Glyn Johns LP mix on Gold DCC disc
    Remixed on Del Rack
    First Glyn Johns mix on "Best Of Leon" Shelter/DCC

Something like that. All the mixes had their good points and I wanted them all out there. DCC owned the label, I could do what I wanted...Which was to give Leon fans the most for their buck.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you sure that both silver issues use this "alternate" mix? I know the Capitol issue of the first album (presumably a clone of the second issue DCC silver) and the Capitol 2 CD best-of (not credited to you) both use the same mix. I haven't heard an LP issue in awhile (one of the LPs *without* Old Masters), but I don't recall anything being different.

You mean the "first Glyn Johns mix" and the "rough mix" are different? The Capitol (again, with liners copied from the DCC) just lists Glyn Johns for mixing and recording. Of course, it doesn't list any other engineers for recording, which is clearly a mistake, so...

I guess I was hoping for a bit of a description of what was different between the mixes...

Question for Steve or anyone else who knows (again): do the first issue silver and second issue silver versions of the first album use the same mixes/masters? And is the Capitol CD indeed a clone of the *second* issue silver (if it makes a difference)?

19. Steve Hoffman

There was a rough mix (in an Olympic Studios tape box) done by Glyn Johns. A "LP" mix done at Olympic by Glyn Johns and the final "LP" mix done in California by Glyn Johns.

The differences? Well, I don't want to go back and relive it all so, sorry. They were very small though. One was compressed to hell (the final LP mix), and one was much easier on the outboard gear, but not as "focused" (the Olympic LP mix).

I wouldn't lose sleep trying to find both or all. No one ever noticed in 10 years that there were differences in anything. :sigh:

20. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have both the the gold CD and first silver CD . I noticed the difference between the two the first time I put the silver CD on to listen. Much more relaxed sounding. I just wish you had used the mixes on the silver CD on the gold CD instead of the final LP mix.

Evan

21. Steve Hoffman

Well, the DCC Gold CD series was based on only using "the original mixes". So, these were them!

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Question about the silver CD. The back says "The original Shelter Records master mixes were used in the making of this compact disc." Any idea why it would say that?

Also, on the subject of original mixes, what about the gold CD of Stage Fright?

23. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Steve,

I picked up another variant of "Leon Russell" today. It is the second pressing of the silver "Leon Russell" sans "Shootout", but it was pressed in Japan by Polystar in 1990. Are there any more DCC titles that were licensed for Japan?

24. Steve Hoffman

All Shelter & Dunhill up to that point, yes.

25. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I will have to keep an eye out for them....:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.