Lennon Gone 28 years now...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pencilchewer, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

The Dream is Over... Yesterday...

:shake: :shake: :shake:

:agree: :agree: :agree:

This was/is a very moving thread... :cry:

Thanks for starting it Pencilchewer...:righton:

cheers...

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I was a neighbour to her in Sandbanks, Poole and I met her and visited her home. I saw Yoko and Sean when they came for her funeral, Mimi is buried at Bournemouth Crematorium BTW!

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

For many of us born in the 50's , The Beatles were our favourite group growing up (we grew up with them)
    Everyone from my generation loved and respected Lennon; he had guts, talent and class. He was one of the best singers ever in the history of Rock music and he was a man pf peace.
    He was killed by a nut for no reason; after performing an act of kindness for said nut (autographing an album cover)

I'm surprised you had to ask, but you were truly too young to understand.

I've never seen so many grown people weep in public (and I was among them) as I did the morning of Dec 9th when most of the world learned that we lost our beloved hero, John Lennon in a senseless act of violence that he so did not deserve.

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I see...thank you for your explanation! :)

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ok, no problem...I didn't want this thread closed!

6. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Not at all, you were right to reply because that way it stopped any discussion of politics, good move!:wave:

7. shabbyroad

shabbyroad Forum Resident

Here it was Tuesday when we heard. It's Tuesday night now and I remember staying up with my mum (miss you mum) to watch the tributes on TV.

Lennon was a human being and like all of us was imperfect. Fame & celebrity magnified those imperfections.

Lennon was a human being and like all of us was gifted. It will forever be in our favour that his gift was shared with the world.

Miss you Lennon !

8. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yoko brought Sean to see Aunt Mimi around '83-'84.I still have Beatle fanzines from the period with clippings & pictures...

9. I've been a dyed-in-the-wool Beatlemaniac since their '64 debut on Ed Sullivan's variety show. Was too young to buy their records until '68, but by the time of John's murder, I'd been a fan for well over 16 years. Hearing about this horrible event felt like I'd lost a close friend or family member, even though we'd never met...:shake:

10. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I noticed that last night. The only solo Lennon I have is The John Lennon Collection. Loaded it up and gave it a spin last night in honor of him. I always liked his Beatles songs the best, or at least the ones he sang lead on. Never really got into his solo career. I also watched Classic Albums show on Plastic Ono Band last night. Had it Tivo'ed. Hard to believe it has been 28 years. Got to say it is impressive to see Yoko carrying the torch for him so strongly after all these years. Although she will be forever remembered as the weird chick that filled Lennons voids and broke The Beatles up LOL.

11. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member Thread Starter

anytime...........i was surprised no one had before i did!

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I woke up one morning like any other and got my uniform on for duty (I was in the US air force). I went over to the chow hall and got a tray, got in line, and there...on the tray of a guy ahead of me...was a paper with the massive bold headline that Lennon had been shot. I was stunned. I couldn't grasp it. I had to get to my station and man was it hard that day. Other guys were talking about it in shock as well. When I got off duty I went back to my barracks and could hear Beatles or Lennon's music wafting from some of the rooms. I can't remember what I played but I felt weird the next few days till it sank in. Like someone else posted - I couldn't fathom why anyone would shoot a Beatle, let alone a peacenik like John.

13. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member Thread Starter

your post clearly describes the state a lot of people were in...

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I was only 11 months old when John was shot. My first memory of knowing was my mother pointing it out in a picture (the one with them all swimming from Life magazine). I was 6? at the time. Then I had that 16 magazine tribute that I ordered in the mail. I remember realizing that this guy was important to so many people at such an early age. I grew up knowing that Lennon is certainly one of the most influential people in our time and I never got to experience the influence without the tone of death behind it. Perhaps this puts him on a platform for us who enjoy his legacy, but the good part is he was human... and he said so. It's nice having someone who admitted his faults as an idol.

15. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

By far the best tribute song (IMHO)...

Even after all this time, it still seems so down right weird. :shake:

I was such a wreck the next day (whimpering and weeping) that, after a couple of hours, my bosses gave me the rest of the day off.

It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain

17. Gloi

Gloi Forum Resident

I was 22 at the time. I was woken up at a couple of minutes to seven by my radio alarm coming on playing Radio City, a Liverpool radio station. They were playing a Beatles track and I was pleased by that. Then the 7:00 news came on and I was just in shock. I went to work in a daze and spent most of the day in the toilet unable to face anybody, especially after one of my workmates said 'I don't know why they're making such a fuss about some pop star'. I couldn't watch the news programmes on TV that night, I just couldn't face them, I just shut myself away.

It really knocked me for six and made me view the world in a different light. I'd not had to deal with anything bad happening to me until then. I did get pretty depressed about everything for a few months and was really withdrawn. I also had a lot of anti-American feelings about it.

I couldn't listen to any Lennon or Beatles music for the best part of that year, though after that time I started listening to The Beatles records again. I still can't listen to John's solo records with the same feelings I did before though. I especially can't play Double Fantasy. I've hardly touched the LP since that day. When I think of being a fan there's always a big divide in how things were before and after that date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.