Legendary CARIBOU RANCH Recording Studio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markbrow, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Thanks! :thumbsup:
    I just remember what you have told me (post #28) that Jim Guercio has no greater interest than having the music he produced and helped create be put out there in the best of sonic quality and he's hardly an MP3 guy.

2. jcs

jcs Member

okay my vinyl copy of elton john on mca reads;

BBB-MCA 500 - W12 SXT B3

i need to give it several listens (i have a bit of a cold) but the top end is a bit sizzly and bright so far.

3. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

So,the storys about the 1974 Beach Boys/Chicago live tapes being lost in the fire.......

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, no, I never worked there. Worked with some of the mixes from there.

5. markbrow

markbrow Forum President Thread Starter

Not true. Not a single tape was destroyed is my understanding. The consoles were saved, so even if there had been tape left on them they'd be safe. And in '85 it's unlikely that '74 live tapes would be in use.

I stood in the tape vault and it's in a part of the barn far removed from where the damage occurred.

Thanks for all these questions -- I'm learning about rumors that I didn't even know existed.

6. markbrow

Steve, if you have a moment, can you elaborate on what you worked on and what you found? After doing this story I just want all the detail I can find...

Thanks very much.

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The tapes were from 1975 and they weren't destroyed.

8. AudiophilePhil

:goodie: Thats's good news for both fans of the Beach Boys and the original Chicago! I think it's about time to release these concerts on CD's.

9. AudiophilePhil

Since reading the information in this thread, I've been playing all my three Elton John albums that were recorded in Caribou Ranch Studio. These albums are Caribou (1974), Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy (1975) and Rock Of The Westies (1975).
    I'm planning to make an Elton John compilation CD from these three albums (plus their respective bonus tracks) and I will give it the title "Elton John - The Caribou Ranch Sessions."

10. pool_of_tears

:sigh:
    Well, I'll clarify by saying that's what I was told when I sent Mark Linett an email in 2002.

Such a release is WAY overdue. There are rumors that some shows were also filmed. But nothing has ever come to light. But knowing how "difficult" (I'm being polite) the various BB factions are...:sigh: And vaguely recalling the lawsuite of Guercio vs. Chicago several years back...lots of hurdles.

11. markbrow

The fact that things like the live Carnegie Hall set came out a few years back with extra tracks tells you that nothing's insurmountable...

12. pool_of_tears

True true. My question is "who had/has those tapes, among many other live shows from 1970-1977"? And who has the rights to them. I think a nice live box set from 1970-1977 would be great. And to have our host master the albums from CTA-XI...oh, there I go wishing again :angel: Perchance to dream.

13. Drawer L

Hey,the 70's are a blur to me!!!:D --Very glad to hear that.Be ever glad-er(?) if we ever hear the tapes!

14. pool_of_tears

:)

I'd be thrilled to hear a good sounding set from that tour. I once heard the entire 1975 St. Louis show...average audience tape but some great performances. God Only Knows sounded sublime w/those Chicago horns.

15. doubleknotspy

doubleknotspy Forum Resident

That was a nice article. It would be great if it could be expanded to a book. I'd buy it in an instant.

16. AudiophilePhil

According to the liner notes of Billy Joels' "Turnstiles" (1976), the album was actually recorded at Ultra-Sonic Studios in Hampstead, New York while the orchestral accompaniment was recorded at Columbia Recording Studios, 30th Street, New York.

The overdubs was recorded at Caribou Ranch Recording Studios, Nederland, Colorado.
    The album was mixed at Caribou Ranch Recording Studios by Bruce Botnick.

17. pool_of_tears

IIRC, the album was started initially @ Caribou...Guercio was Billy's manager at the time. I recall an interview w/Billy in which he said some stuff was cut w/Elton's band which didn't come out so well and that was scrapped. At some point, Billy took the Long Island band "Topper" as his band. I'm not 100% sure of the exact order in which things happened.

18. Davenicks

Davenicks Forum Resident

Mark,

Great job, thanks for calling it to our attention. For me, the coolest thing may be learning that Elton was going for a Rick Derringer Sound! Points out how little we know about all the influences that artists absorb and then incorporate into their work. But now that you've mentioned it, I can hear it in The Bitch Is Back and probably others.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim Guercio here in Nashville several years ago and he was patient and gracious in answering my Buckinghams and Chicago questions. "Genius" gets tossed around so much that seems to be devalued, but he is one very, very bright guy.

And turning this into a book is a great idea.

Dave in Nashville

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I wonder how much time Billy spent at the ranch as producer and all. He mentioned recording the album in Colorado when I saw him perform in Denver around '95.

dan c

20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Interesting story. Never knew that. Since 'Turnstiles' was his first album to feature Billy's live backing band I assumed it was supposed to be that way from the start.

dan c

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I read an interview with Nigel Ollson once also saying that the album was originally him and Dee Murray with Billy, but that it came out sounding too much like Elton and was scrapped.

22. markbrow

That is correct -- Guercio thought Billy would be a perfect match with Elton's guys and they slogged away at those songs and it just didn't work. No, I don't know where those tapes are, but if I find out I'll let you know. They did everything to try to make it work, including doing some gigs in Boulder and Denver to try to inject some chemistry. The Boulder dates were done under an assumed name that no one can remember except that it was vaguely obscene. By the second gig word had gotten out and people were lined down the block, I'm told.

23. Drawer L

Hmmm.Seriously.Early 1976.Two years after his semi-hit ("Piano Man" peaked at #25)--do you really think people would get that excited to see 'Billy Joel'?

24. pool_of_tears

Actually, YES!

Billy was far better known at the time for his live shows even though his albums sold moderate at best. It says a LOT if you can sell out Carnegie Hall and not to have had a hit in 2 years, much less only having released 3 LP's...only two of which landed in the top 30 and 40. That's a good way to get your name out there...tour heavily and do good shows...word of mouth!

25. Drawer L

Carnegie Hall?-That's in New York.Billy's kinda popular around these parts....:winkgrin: --I still have my doubts about anywhere else at that point...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.