Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti - 1st U.S. double Lp Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott333, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Anyone with multiple copies of Physical Graffiti want to sell one? I'm in the market for a copy.

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

We did an in depth thread on Atlantic deadwax.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ls-and-deadwax-what-do-the-codes-mean.285080/

"PR" in the deadwax indicates that the metal parts used to make the record were generated at Philips Recording, in Richmond Indiana. Has nothing to do with where the record was pressed.

The "BBB" matrixes can also provide clues. A one letter matrix is typically found on a record pressed at Presswell in NJ. Two letters are usually found on Monarch pressings. Three letters are most often found on records made at the Philips Richmond, Indiana plant. There's a good chance that your PG was pressed in Indiana..

dee likes this.
  3. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I finally found a NM/NM Physical Graffti at the WFMU 2011 Record Fair. My copy has very good sound quality and is a very quiet pressing for the most part. Definitely a keeper. I have no desire to upgrade.

Dead wax info;

S1] R-212318A-1 0-1 SM 2-1 A-1 HI [? very tiny, not 100% sure]
    S2] R- 212318B-1 SP 0-1 SM 1-2 B-1 HI [? very tiny, not 100% sure]
    S3] R212318C [<Machine stamped] 3 SP 0-1 SM1-2 A-1 AP
    S4] R-212318D - 1 SP 0-1 SM 1-3 A-1 HI [? very tiny, not 100% sure]

Boogie With Stu has Mrs. Valens credit.

4. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Ok, thanks. So no A designation in your promo copies...

I think also your MO copy has its identification on matrix. Just to let you know, here below an extract from another discussion about the MO pressing and its symbols:

"...records made by Monarch will have a stamped circle with "MR" in it, and numbers preceded by a delta sign. As for numbers with the delta symbol on the deadwax - this apparently originated with the company that did plating on the West Coast (Alco Research & Engineering in Los Angeles), and their system was used by a host of L.A.-area plants including their own, plus Monarch and another plant called AFM Engineering."
    "...An additional letter, always the same letter as the first cutting letter (but usually fainter) sometimes appears on Monarch pressings. Two additional letters, always the same letters as the first (usually fainter) may appear on RI pressings. These extra letters indicate an additional metal part made from the lacquer."

See you!

5. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I have not too and never seen one....I think it should be possible only on a promo copy, or test pressing, if any.

I would back to this question: has anyone seen a US copy with -A deadwax?

6. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Evening All,

Having read the descriptions in this thread (great info btw!), I believe my PG is a first UK pressing with the "E.G." etching and it does sound very nice indeed. I picked it up today from a UK record store for £20GBP. The shop had other PG's but the cover on this one drew me in as it just looked and felt more 'vintage'. Thick card for the inner sleeves (with cut-out at the open edge) and with the Gothic Print credit. I'm listening to it right now and I'm very pleased with how it sounds.

However, I just spotted an auction on Ebay UK and noticed another piece of information that doesn't appear to have been mentioned here. It states "NO Warners logo at 3 0'clock' on the labels. Although my copy fits the 1st press description perfectly, it DOES have the Warners logo at 3 o'clock, after the circular print on each label. The sellers description seems to highlight this as an important ommision. Here's the auction in question;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHYSICAL-...81061644641?pt=UK_Records&hash=item4170945961

I just wondered if anybody is able to shed any light on the with/without logo question? Also, my matrix numbers simply end with A/B/C/D, i.e no 1, 2, 3 and 4. Is that normal? Excuse my ignorance if so, I'm still learning!

Thanks & Best Wishes,

Keith.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Hi Keith

IIRC, the labels without the Warner logo were on the first pressings. I can't recall when the Warner logo first appeared (maybe '76??). All the original pressings I've seen advertised have always specified A,B,C,D followed by a number. usually A1, C1, D1 and either B4 or B5 (or something like that. It always seems to be the B that is not a 1).

It does seem plausible that the original stampers could have been used just as the labels were switched over and hence you would have the original matrix details with the Warner logo label.

However, you're indicating that your copy doesn't have numbers after the letters. So I'm not sure what that's all about. Maybe they are there but hard to read? Dunno just guessing really.

Eddie

8. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Many thanks for your response Eddie, that's a good observation regarding the label switch over, I didn't consider that. As for the numbers after the A,B,C and D, they are definitely not present as I've had the magnifying glass out! I'm not sure what that's all about! I'm really enjoying the vinyl though, it brings back the days when I first heard this material for the first time. It sounds fresh again.

9. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Ok, I was looking at my copy out of curiosity and wanted to post the info since I think its interesting.

First, the labels have the catalog with the suffix: "SRP" not SP, not PR, I was looking at the thread with info on Atco/Atlantic codes for pressing plants and couldn't find any reference to it. Any ideas?

Then these are the matrix numbers:

1: ST-SS-753309-C PRC GD AT
    2: ST-SS-753310-E AT F.T. PR GD

3: ST-SS-753311-C IGOL PR
    4: ST-SS-753312 BB 15 (MR) △ 19708-X GI PR

So, all these stampers were plated at Philips Recording, I have one ending in B, a pair in C and other in E, but how come there is a Monarch stamper mixed there? Again, what SRP is?? The 4th has the same the BB info that others posted as very early (some promos use it), and also if one looks at the work done by the forum member Frank Daniels who compiled delta numbers and conected them to dates this delta number matches the '75 initial run.

If these B-C-D-E-F sets of lacquers were from the first run of cuts I imagine that they would be sent to different plants to make many copies. Why would a plant use stampers made from the B/C/D lacquers? Maybe these guys were sent stampers that the others weren't using at that moment. Also, this is a cutout so maybe this means this is a later pressing, and this would somehow explain how they used pretty much what was on hand regarding stampers.

10. themagicmanmdt

themagicmanmdt Forum Resident

dee likes this.
  11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I just picked up an orange stickered Promo copy today with the same deadwax.

12. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I've been on the hunt for a clean pressing of PG literally since the day it came out. The US originals were prone to surface noise which I learned first hand selling it back in the day. I just got one from eBay that appeared promising. I was delighted to hear virtually no surface noise (except side three) and a healthy, big sound with lots of dynamic range and headroom. It begs to be played loudly. Anyway, I looked up this thread to study the matrix numbers and upon closer examination it was a Canadian pressing. All the matrix numbers are like those above except that they are all "1A". There is a "C" beneath the angel's wing which I assume means it came from a Columbia pressing plant. I've never heard Physical Graffiti sound this good.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  13. cplyons

cplyons Forum Resident

Digging back up an old thread.
    After doing lots of research on the site here and elsewhere, I still am a bit mystified by my early (how early?) pressing of Physical Graffiti. It has deep and strong bass, is very quiet and pretty much Mint -

Here is my info:

First line signifies Label, second signifies dead wax data, All dead wax is handwritten.

Side 1: ST-SS-753309-LY
    ST-SS-753309-C (sideways backward "S", AT, PR, SH)
    Side 2: ST-SS-753310-LY
    ST-SS-753310-D (sideways backward "S", AT, PR, FT, SH)
    Side 3: ST-SS-753311-LY
    ST-SS-753311-C (PR, SH)
    Side 4: ST-SS-753312-LY
    ST-SS-753312-B (sideways backward "S", PR, SH)

From this info, I parse this to mean:

- Label indicates all sides were pressed at LY (Shelley Products, Huntington Station, NY)
    From dead wax:
    - Stereo (ST); Swan Song (SS); Year of Master Tape delivery (75); Master Tape number (3309 etc)
    The B, C and D after the tape number is the cutting letter, D meaning fourth, C meaning third, B second, etc.
    AT means Atlantic Records
    PR means Presswell Records Mfg. Co., Ancora, NJ

OK, questions:
    Why does PR in the deadwax (Preswell) contradict LY on the labels (Shelley)?
    Who mastered these sides, backwards S guy or SH? Who is SH?

And last but pretty important to me: Is this real or a fake?

14. cplyons

cplyons Forum Resident

Nothing? Am I late to the party and everybody else knows this stuff?

15. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Helping to revive an older thread: I did a shootout between an early US Pressing like Ben's (B B D B on sides 1 2 3 4, respectively--Presswell pressing) and the Classic Records 180 gram mastering. To me, the Classic Records mastering sounds less futzed with, aside from what I agree is a toppy tonality. The early US pressing sounds very fine, but it also sounds more compressed to me. That makes for a more dramatic sound that can be very impactful, and I enjoy listening to it. By contrast, while the Classic Records BG mastering sounds a little smaller at first, with an undeniable rise above 8K or so (I'm guessing), I also hear all the parts more distinctly no matter what the dynamic. The bass lines are more tuneful, the drums more dynamic, and the vocals more human-sized and nuanced, etc. More like a direct-from-the-master tonality. And the very quiet vinyl is quite seductive.

Overall, though, I agree wholeheartedly with Ben: either of these versions is very nice.

16. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Who mastered the original US plates? Was it George Piros? Or somone else. Have a pressing, a Monarch , 75 Rock no WB logo, that has no GP in the matrix and it is form a B plate.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I'm assuming it was GP and not George Peckham.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Tw
    :wave:Two questions:

1) Has the "F.T." mystery been solved? Frank Tabino?
    2) Do all lp versions of Physical Graffiti have the inner sleeve credit of "Mrs. Valens" for Boogie With Stu?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  19. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

20. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Hello screw_squirrel,
    I'm jumping on this old thred because I'm very interested on the highlighted sentence here above, that I missed last time...

Do you have a documented source in order to prove that statement?

Thanks!

21. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Very first UK with a C1 matrix and without the logo on right side label...and that sounds very good to me. Not the very best I heard ever, but it delivers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

marcfeld69 and Giorgio like this.
  22. screw_squirrel

screw_squirrel Forum Resident

Hi Giorgio,
    here's a picture where you can clearly see the die cut of the inner sleeve. The dead wax width is really bigger than the 1st official UK pressing and also the US one. (different mastering)
    Regarding the hand etched matix number SSK.89400.A E.G. S-4 I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. Don't know if the result will be visible cause I take pictures with my mobile...

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exempli_gratia

[​IMG]

23. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Hello screw_squirrel,

Here below the info received from another member of this forum regarding this query:

Handwritten "E.G." in the deadwax might actually stand for E.G. Records, Ltd.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.G._Records

I've certainly seen "E.G." in the deadwax of 1980s King Crimson LPs, and that band was associated with E.G.

http://robertfrippspeaks.com/fromperfectsound2.html

E.G. also worked with artists that had records distributed in the US by Atlantic.
    Possibly, the Physical Graffiti with E.G. In the deadwax was a later reissue distributed by E.G. Records. (not "exempli gratia").

That's my guess, anyway.

TLMusic likes this.
  24. screw_squirrel

screw_squirrel Forum Resident

Well... Could be, but sound strange to me as far as E.G. (the mastering lab) is connected to Island and Polygram.
    Led Zeppelin was Atlantic and later WEA...
    But why not!
    The label has a tiny WEA logo on it at the end of the "ALL RIGHTS OF THE MANUFACTURER .../... OF THIS RECORD PROHIBITED" sentence.
    What I know is that later pressings for UK came also from Germany.

25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

It doesn't make any sense to me that a British mastering engineer would etch "E.G." in the deadwax for the latin phrase exempli gratia (which directly translates to "for example") to indicate a promo. How much more obtuse could one get? I would bet it's either a mastering engineer's initials or has something to do with E.G. records (no connection to The Mastering Lab).

Giorgio, violetvinyl, TLMusic and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.