Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti - 1st U.S. double Lp Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott333, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

so through all of this has anybody determined how to tell which pressing one has based on all of these etchings???

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Early US lacquer cuts

One thing you can see is that all the early US pressings have deadwax matrices ending with "-B", "-C", or "-D". Also, there are some "-E" cuts. From what I can tell, each of the letters represents a different lacquer cut. BTW, the Monarch cuts have a second letter, but that appears to me to indicate another metal part still made from one the first sets of lacquers. Due to Led Zep's popularity, it's stands to reason that Atlantic would have initially cut several sets of lacquers (probably B to E or so) in anticipation of big sales.

Metal parts from those lacquers sets would have been sent to the various pressing plants (Presswell--PR, Columbia Terra Haute--CTH. Monarch--MO, etc.). Probably all those plants were pressing records at the same time, for different regions of the US. For that reason, it is difficult to pinpoint which one is the "first".

Has anyone seen a US copy with -A deadwax? I have not. Possibly the first cut was rejected, I don't know.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

So what does a "-G" cut signify? Mine seems like a pretty early pressing.

4. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

"-G" probably designates the seventh lacquer cut for the album. At least that would be logical, but I don't know how consistent Atlantic was in their process.

From what I've read on this forum, the "H-" cut seems to be made later, perhaps from the 1980s. So "-G" could date from a time after the initial cuts, or maybe A to G were all cut at approximately the same time and used throughout the 1970s.

How does the -G cut sound?

5. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I don't have another vinyl pressing to compare it to, just the early Atlantic cd, but I think it sounds good. It seems slightly lower in volume level compared to the other sides of the lp. It's a pretty balanced cut tonality-wise though.

Not sure if this gives you an idea since this is system dependent, but this is a quick needeldrop sample I did of "Down by the Seaside" from the "-G" cut. I took out two pops manually and then normalized it: http://audiosamples.wikispaces.com/...72413802/Down By The Seaside (US lp clip).wav

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

That may have to do with the length of the album side - side 3 is almost 22 minutes which is the longest of the four sides.

7. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Good point. I didn't think about that.

8. Panthers26

Panthers26 Forum Resident

Great! I have the promotional UK with the "EG" in the deadwax. Bought it thinking it was the 1st press, obviously not, the deadwax area is huge on all 4 sides, the massive drum sound is just not there. Cost me £25 GBP!:realmad:

I also have what i think is a later pressing with A1/B4/C2/D1. Is this a 1st pressing? The drums are a lot better on this one. Hammer of the gods indeed!

9. petey

petey Forum Resident

Hi - thanks a lot for this recommendation. I picked up a copy in vg+ condition and sounds amazing. However, it does not have the same matrix numbers or any of the GP GRT etchings on side four, but does have the Mrs. Valens credit. I bought it because it has the orange promo sticker but just realized it didn't have the black track listing sticker.

I noticed that because I came across another one in mint- condition that has both stickers. But looking at the labels on the listing it does not have a "MO" or any letter ending after the numbers. Example, side three is ST-SS-763311.

The Monarch one I have sounds great, but does the one you list above have the letter designation on the label? are you familiar with the non-letter designation means?

Thanks for your great recommendations!

Pete

10. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

I can tell you that the Canadian first pressing is awful - not only the worst sounding of Canadian Led Zeppelin records, but the single worst Led Zeppelin record I've ever heard from anywhere. There's so little bottom that it sounds like it could be an accident.

11. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

I have what I thought was a first CDN pressing and it isn't missing the bottom end...

Matrix numbers:
    S1 ST-SS-773309-1B-2H
    S2 ST-SS-773310-1A-2H
    S3 ST-SS-773311-1B-2H
    S4 ST-SS-773312-1A-2H

Do you have the same?

12. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

No resemblance at all!

Mine has 2SS.200.A/B/C/D Q TLC

WEA Music of Canada/ 1810 Birchmount Rd., Scarborough

13. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

On the back cover mine says:

Swan Song Inc / 444 Madison Ave / NY, NY 10022
    Manufactured and distributed by WEA Music of Canada Ltd. P C 1975 Atlantic Recording Corporation

On the labels:

Manufactured and distributed by WEA Music of Canada Ltd

There is no Canadian address on this one at all...

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wonder when WEA Music of Canada moved to 1810 Birchmount Rd in Scarborough. My guess is sometime after 1975.

15. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

That TLC cut is a Quality pressing. But I also have this Don Mills pressing with a matrices similar to yours:

s1) ST-SS-773309-1D-2H,D,Z
    s2) ST-SS-773310-1B-2H
    s3) ST-SS-773311-1A-2H
    s4 ST-SS-773312-1A-2H

It has a "C" on the label, which I think indicates a CBS pressing. It's a bit duller than the TLC cut, and also has just slightly less punch.

Both sound really sad compared to my 1st press German, which for dynamics, depth and air comes in second (though not very closely) to the truly impressive 1st press UK. Alas, that's the only one I've heard that actually thumps. (The now very expensive Classic Records pressing isn't in the same league at all as the UK or the German 1st pressings.)

While a 1st press UK remains the grail, I'm still on the lookout for a US 1st press, as I've never had an opportunity to hear one.

It's not on topic, but I'm very appreciative of the Barry Diamont cd for this title.

16. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

I've also seen a copy, which was purchased at Sam's in Toronto on the day of release, that has cover and one of the records manufactured in the US, the other record manufactured in Canada - the labels on that one disc being the only place the word Canada appears at all.

17. petey

petey Forum Resident

I received a copy of the US promo of Physical Graffiti today. It is the heavy vinyl. It has the "Mrs. Valens" credit on Boogie with Stu. It has the black song listing sticker, and the round orange promo not for sale sticker. It has the Rockefeller address, and no indication that it is a record club version.

The only thing I cant find reference to is the fact that there is no letter designation as to where it was pressed - no letters.

Label numbers and matrix as follows:

Side 1:
    Label: ST-SS-753309
    Matrix:ST-SS-753309-BBB - 1 111 AT PR
    Side 2:
    Label: ST-SS-753310
    Matrix: ST-SS-753310-BBB - 11-1 AT PR F.T.
    Side 3:
    Label: ST-SS-753311
    Matrix: ST-SS-753311-BBB-1 AT F.T. PR
    Side 4:
    Label: ST-SS-753312
    Matrix: ST-SS-753312 BBB - 1-111 PR

The "B's" and "1's" following the first "B" are lightly etched.

There is the "cough" and little guitar play after In My Time Of Dyin.

It's Mint-. Has the thumping drums, bass and amazing clarity. Much better than my classic version and my other light vinyl promo (no black track listing sticker) version.

I'm guessing it was pressed at Presswell based on deadwax etching.

Anybody know what this one is?

Pete

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Nothing spells success like imitation. When someone sees the prices he gets it's hard to postulate that they look to his methods for their own success even if they don't have the goods or knowledge to pull it off. You can fool the newbies but over time an imitator will be found out and then they will reap those oats as well. If this other seller has been true in his descriptions and people feel confident dealing with him, it probably doesn't hurt that they have a pay a little bit of a premium. It goes a long way if you needn't worry about sending something back and dealing with epay and paypal to sort out your issues.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

^^ Did you mean to post that in this thread? Sounds like it was meant for a different friend...possibly the Bill Evans AP thread you were posting in? :)

20. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I would partecipate at this query providing my contribute with the information from mine copies.
    Here is the matrix information about the 2 US copies I have:

US PROMO copy
    Side 1: ST-SS-753309-B AT PR
    Side 2: ST-SS-753310-B AT PR F.T.
    Side 3: ST-SS-753311-B AT F.T. PR
    Side 4: ST-SS-753312-B PR

US standard copy
    Side 1: ST-SS-753309-C PR AT
    Side 2: ST-SS-753310-B AT PR F.T.
    Side 3: ST-SS-753311-B AT F.T. PR
    Side 4: ST-SS-753312-D AT GP PR

Just to know, I have also the first UK pressing, that has these matrix:
    Side 1: SSK.89400.A1
    Side 2: SSK.89400.B4
    Side 3: SSK.89400.C1
    Side 4: SSK.89400.D1

Regarding how to identify the first pressing, I would add this information about the insert: all the first pressing (US and UK) should be smooth (but not glossy) on the outside and textured on the inside.

To answer at the user named "Panthers26", I can say that the first UK pressing has the matrices that end with A1, B4, C1 and D1.

In this forum, the user "tlmusic" already stated: ...all the early US pressings have deadwax matrices ending with "-B", "-C", or "-D".
    Also, there are some "-E" cuts.
    I am very interested at the possible answer at his final question: "Has anyone seen a US copy with -A ??"

21. petey

petey Forum Resident

Giorgio - I have 2 US promo copies and both have the letter B. Does your US promo copy have both the orange promo not for sale sticker, and the black song listing sticker above?

Also, does it have "MO" or "PR", etc. next to the "ST-SS-75...." under the song listings on the label?

Giorgio likes this.
  22. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Petey - Thanks for your answer. Yes, my promo copy has both the orange promo not for sale sticker, and the black song listing sticker on front cover.
    Under the song listings on the label, next to the "ST-SS-75....", it has the letters "PR", as in the deadwax. It should be pressed at Presswell based.
    Is it correct?

Also, do your 2 US promo copies have the letter B at the end of matrix on each of the "eight" deadwax?

23. petey

petey Forum Resident

I believe you are correct - PR means presswell. What I am trying to figure out is why my copy has no designation on the label, but in the deadwax all for sides have "PR" etched in. So I am assuming it's presswell also. My other copy has "MO" on the label.

Not sure what you mean about the letter B at the end of the matrix on each of the "eight"? but I listed the label info and matrix info above.

Giorgio likes this.
  24. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I think you are correct too. Your copy should be from Presswell plant. Why this info is not on label is a good question....really I don't know...

About my question, sorry maybe I was not so clear...sorry also for my bad English :cry:
    I will try to better explain: you have two promo copies, so 2LP (4 record side) + 2LP (4 record side) = 8 record side.
    Each side has its deadwax with the matrix. My question was: do all your 8 record side end with B?
    Ok, your promo copy here above has BBB on each side...in your other promo copy do the 4 matrices end with B?

I ask you so because I am searching if someone has a copy with matrices that end with A....I think it should be possible only on a promo copy, or test pressing, if any.

25. petey

petey Forum Resident

Ok, here are the label and matrix numbers for the other promo copy.

Labels: same designation as listed above, except they end in "MO" indicating monarch.

Matrix:

Side 1: ST-SS-153309-BB (SECOND B LIGHT - FOLLOWED BY A STRANGE CIRCULAR SYMBOL) (TRIANGLE) 1910100 AT PR.

SIDE 2: ST-SS-153310-BB (SECOND B LIGHT - FOLLOWED BY A STRANGE CIRCULAR SYMBOL) (TRIANGLE) 19707-X-(3) PR F.T.

SIDE 3: ST-SS-153311-BB (SECOND B LIGHT - FOLLOWED BY A STRANGE CIRCULAR SYMBOL) IS (TRIANGLE) 19708(4) F.T. PR

SIDE 4: ST-SS-153312-BB (SECOND B LIGHT - FOLLOWED BY A STRANGE CIRCULAR SYMBOL) (TRIANGLE) 19708-X(1) IS PR

So no "A" designation. I will give this one another spin - shoot out with the other version because I do see on here a preference toward Monarch. But it is strange that one would have the PR designation only in the matrix and not the label, and the other would have the MO designation on the label but not the matrix.

Maybe I should play them backwards :)

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.