Led Zeppelin Live CD/DVD Due 8 November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc roberty, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solomon

solomon Forum Resident

So does that mean those rather crappy sounding board tapes from '73 and '80 that appear on bootlegs might actually sound pretty good if we could hear the masters? Quality like How The West Was Won maybe? Someone must have enough money to buy them back (though rewarding thieves with a profit is a bit too much - how about a sting operation: get the tapes, nab the suspects, save the money?).

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In 30+ years as a music collector, I can tell you that 90% of the time, the reason people do not provide background/details is that they don't have any.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

:righton: Make that 99% of the time - you're an optimist LOL.

4. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Doubt it since HTWWW was from multi-tracks. The 75 boots that have been turning up are from soundboard tapes though and they sound decent.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A concert dedicated to Ahmet Ertegun by one of the biggest groups in the world might come out on a competitors label? Are the "band" free agents? Maybe shopped to various DVD distributors like Eagle Rock or whatnot. Who would turn down a LZ release unless the advance was too astronomical?

I've been to concerts that have 16 cameras rolling and 3 camera cranes whizzing around that never saw daylight. Oh well.

6. circus77

circus77 Well-Known Member

I am close to one of the band.

7. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

yes, and sometimes they have inside information and don't want to burn a source. I can back up that claim -- ain't nothin' coming out on Nov. 8. I can provide no further details.

8. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Seen that all too often also. You'd think if they went through all that trouble/expense, something legit would come out....eventually.

What usually happens, an "official" statement would come out saying - we looked at the film/listened to the tapes and it wasn't up to our standards.

Bootleggers to the rescue! They give the people what they want, surely not the artists/labels. Sad part now...with the "you-tube" generation, hard to find anything worthy of saving.

9. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Look at the sheer number of unreleased concert films Neil Young has in his vault...

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think he was referring to you but the one post guy who joined and made his first post in this thread and then made his second post in this thread to explain how he knew it would not come out and said post was "I am close to one of the band". You have to agree that some people would be suspicious. Usually I find people who are friends with the band tend to keep their opinions quiet and rarely say I'm friends with the band because normally they just use their own name e.g. Ross Halfin and everyone knows they are friends with the band or they just keep quiet. But either way....

With nothing coming out about a potential release since the first post of this thread it does suggests that nothing is coming Nov 8th and it was probably a place holder for an intended release.

Something behind the scenes must have happened because I know they worked on the project and were doing so all summer. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits about it.

I can probably guess what happened but it would just be a guess. :)

11. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

You are correct. Work was done and at one point it looked like a go -- I even wrote about it. But as Bob Dylan said, things have changed.

12. circus77

Ok so you mean me. Here we go, I am close to one of the band and I am told the O2 show from 2007 will not be coming out on Nov 8th ( if ever ). As Mark said as well I cannot provide anymore info. I have just joined this forum and yes it was my first post, SO WHAT!!!!!!

13. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

And it was the most accurate post in this entire thread.

If you wonder why more true insiders don't post sensitive info here... you've got a shining example right here.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Amen. Let's see, I try to be decent, and share some information with you, and in return, you Attack me ? Oh, yeah, that's a place I want to return to again, and again.

circus77...welcome. :wave: Speaking ONLY for myself, I'd love to have a big, Blu Ray presentation of '02, with 7.1 sound, but if it ain't happenin', it ain't happening'. My life will go on, but thank you for contributing.

15. circus77

Thanks my friend appreciate your post.:righton:

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I didn't mean you, I thought someone else meant you. I was merely pointing that out.

When someone joins fairly soon after a thread starts and then posts in that very same thread as their first post and claims to have insider knowledge about that very subject it looks suspicious.

I could care less who you do or do not know.

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Sorry mate but you can't expect people to just accept that someone is a true insider just because they said so. You have to earn respect.

Is it really so far fetched that someone would be suspicious about a post like this? No it isn't.

Also any true insider that started posting sensitive information without being given the OK would soon become a non-insider. Keeping your mouth shut is one of the per-requisites of being an insider. I wouldn't say I "know" people but the few that I have met don't say much of anything unless they've been told it's ok to mention something or at least know the limits of what they can divulge.

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A lot of us were afraid that when joining earlier this year, Steven Wilson would get the usual rude treatment. Luckily, people accepted him at his word, and treated him kindly. Same for Bobby Whitlock, but that was before my time, and people were nicer then.

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

So, all anyone has to do is show up, say "I'm an insider", and start talking, and we suddenly should believe them?

Not bloody likely. When you have a NAME like Steven Wilson or Bobby Whitlock, who COMES OUT AND SAYS who they are, then there's no problem. Otherwise, what's the point of even sharing information if you're not going to divulge the source. It's damned infuriating. Maybe I'm just too nosy. :sigh:

20. circus77

Just passing on the info that the O2 will not be out on Nov 8th and I really do not care if you believe me or not.

21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Any reason why? Since they put the effort into preparing it, something must have changed, opinion-wise, between the band members.

22. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Anyone who knows the Zep 'world' know that its not always possible to divulge sources.

It's been stated by enough people in this thread that its not the O2, and realistically who could really think it is - a major Zep release in 3 weeks time without any advertisements, promotion or previews is never likely to happen.

However, as has also been stated in this thread, with posters being treated with scorn when trying to give definitive information, it's unlikely to be repeated.

23. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

He was sitting one toilet stall away from Bobby P., and passing the TP back and forth, they forged a bond, and out of that bond came the insider decision to postpone O2.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The OP never divulged a source.

I prefer some gossip and I as a reader can scrutinize the information. I'm guessing his info comes from the Plant/Bonham(leaning towards the latter) camps since JPJ and Page aren't that active right now.

Declaring their name is not really proof, and SH Forum has a checkered past for music industry people who activily posted after revealing their identity only to never return.

25. Hmm, the 40 year anniversary date of Led Zeppelin album number four eh...

I'll guess at something real nice from the '71 North American or UK tour. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.