LED ZEPPELIN: Definitive Collection CD Box Set Due In November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

The 2003's don't seem to have any added compression at all - there's still audible tape hiss and the infamous kick drum squeak...

2. What does hiss and a squeaking kick drum have to do with whether any compression was applied or not???

The 2003 Japanese mini-LP's have raised levels accomplished by the means of digital compression or some other form of limiting. You can trust me on this, and there are plenty of wav-form screenshots available on this forum to illustrate this.

In other words: The 2003 versions are slightly louder than the 1997 and 1994 George Marino remasters. It's not a big difference, but it is there and totally unnecessary in my opinion.

3. krlpuretone

I'm saying there is also an audible clarity on some of the instruments in the 2003 mixes that is NOT present on the 1993 box mastering. Whether they zapped perceived imperfections in the final production mastering process or not is more intrusive to me than a kick drum squeaking.

As you know, compression in some form or another is present in all digital media, the main issue is how judiciously it is used (to the benefit or detriment of the original recording) The Stevie Wonder debate proves that one can twist in circles forever on this stuff...unless you or I are sitting in the control room, we don't know for sure what is coming off the tapes (or indeed which tapes were used)

I think the main differences between different masters that people seem to forget is hardware used in the glass master preparation stage - i.e. Steve's new masters using the “Kensei Audio Transposer” were not possible before the advent of said technology. In each subsequent release, the computer ability exists to transfer more of the sound; whether the labels can and do use this in said releases is open to debate.

Personally I like to hear a pickup toggle being switched in a recording and prefer detail over dullness.

4. I have to disagree with this statement, unless you think of compression as a reduction of the file size. In that sense, the CD format is compressed/data-reduced compared to the original analog master tape.

As far as digital compression = reduction of dynamic range goes (with the purpose to get a louder CD and to bring out low-level detail), there are many CD's out there which don't use any at all. The AF Gold CD's even have a respective statement on the sleeve.

Of course, most (but not all) records use some form of compression during the recording of the album, i.e. to records certain instruments etc. This type of compression is not the issue I was referring to.

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I do too. However, it all depends on how the detail is brought out. If it's brought out by a careful transfer using the best technology possible at the highest resolution then fine. If it's done by compression of the entire mix, then that can be problematic. In order to bring out low-level details, they need to be boosted. If the dynamic range of the recording is such that peaks are nearing or reaching 0dBFS, then the only way to boost the details without pushing the peaks over the 0dB line is to squash the peaks. That compromises the power of the music. Led Zeppelin was always about light and shade, the power of dynamics. Squash the dynamics and you rob the music of its power.

It's also possible to boost just the low-level details without touching the peaks, but the result is still somewhat similar, it's just squashing up instead of down. Either way, the dynamics are compromised. Again, I prefer bringing out the details with resolution, careful EQ, etc. This **may** be possible to some extent with SHM technology, but that's pretty much limited to the reduction of errors while reading data in real time from an optical disc. Once the data is transferred to a computer and A-Bed with the non-SHM versions, my understanding is that they are digitally identical. So in essence, all one has to do is transfer any CD's data to hard disk using EAC and ensuring the rip was 100% error free and the resulting data stream should play back with every bit as much fidelity as an SHM disc.

6. krlpuretone

I agree that there are variances in the improvement of sonics of SHM discs.

Some (like the Humble Pie two CD collection) are fantastic and set the music soaring, others are so-so (Allman Brothers Fillmore) and not really an improvement on available versions.

I guess that my point is more that the hardware and processes used in preparing the actual glass master can and does make a difference in some cases.

It's up to the ears (and the quality of the playback system) if you can hear an improvement in the finished product.

7. beauford1313

beauford1313 The Busta Rhymes of the Ukraine

This is $99 at amazon.com today.

8. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

Is this worth getting? I have the Diaments, the crop circle box and box set 2. never got the mid 1990s versions.

9. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Just ordered it. Thanks for posting! I've been waiting for the right price for this set. :goodie:

10. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

Big sale on the Led Zppelin box on Amazon today. Gold box deal

11. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Just remember you are paying for the packaging.

12. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

How is the sound on this?

13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Basically the same as all the other versions of the LZ remasters that share the same mastering source (George Marino). Some unnamed personnel boosted some of the tracks slightly in the early 2000s by about 2dB but it wasn't a new remastering from "scratch" but just a slight boost of the Marino remasters. The original Japanese site lists these as sourced from "1994 remasters" (except the soundtrack from The Song Remains The Same, which is the 2007 remix mastered by Bob Ludwig). I'd rather save my money and use my own volume control. It doesn't chop off the transients. :)

This box at $99 is a good deal for anyone looking for the complete LZ studio recordings in a nice package and not wanting to search out the Diament/Sidore original CDs.

14. esa

esa Forum Resident

Does anyone know if "Stairway To Heaven" in this box set fades out at the end, like it does in the 1993 box?

I got that '93 box set and was appalled to hear "STH" fade out during Plant's a cappella vocal at the end. I'm glad I kept my original CD with the correct ending.

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:righton:

16. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

i still have the standards. :cool:
    (some LPs are not so good but all cds are ok)

17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Bah, stupid thread title, got me all excited for new remasters....

18. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

gee.. :eek:
    without way to edit i quoted myself.
    i mean, some LPs are not so good because are too old and have "risks"!

19. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I like the sound on the original CDs the best. But the box is useful for the artwork, and the extra tracks on Coda.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Gotta love those bonus tracks! :wave:

21. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Reviving thread for a quick question about the currently available "Definitive Collection" box set, on the Rhino label (the one available from Amazon):

Are the discs and packaging made in Japan?

Again, not the SHM version, just the plain vanilla one that frequently goes on sale for cheap at Amazon. Just trying to determine if these are the typical high quality Made in Japan mini LPs, or low quality US manufactured ones.

22. Yes, made in Japan, both discs and sleeves.

The sleeves are of nice quality but are thinner than the first Japanese mini-LP's from the 90's. I think I read something like the new packaging is supposed to replicate the original US vinyl (which had thinner sleeves) and the first mini-LP release was to replicate the UK vinyl (which had thicker sleeves).

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Could it be that you've got that backwards? The latest box set's artwork replicates the UK labels and artwork (LZI with the cyan lettering), etc. I have the 2003 mini-LPs and they all seem to be similar to North American sleeves. UK sleeves tend to be thinner.

24. Yup, you are probably right, I got it mixed up.

25. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Thanks guys, looks like I'll finally cave and get this before all physical product disappears in the not-to-distant, download-only future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.