Led Zeppelin "40th Anniversary" Remasters in 2009

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done!

On stands yet? Must buy!

2. attym

attym Forum Resident

"Rocks greatest band!"

I agree

3. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Would it have been that difficult to combine the regular stereo recording of "Ten Years Gone" with the partial multitrack recording? Multitracks exist for everything but the guitar, so why not put the multitrack (without guitar) on the left and the regular stereo (with guitar) on the right. Right?? Wouldn't that work?

4. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

So glad I just picked up the vinyl replica box set...................URGH!

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Does the article say anything about 40th anniversary remasters?

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Perhaps now that it seems the new Page/Jones/Bonham group idea has fallen apart, Page will focus on the archives for a bit. I've already heard the O2 DVD has gone from a "would be nice to do" to "will be nice." So maybe proper remasters will happen too. Last January Page talked in Japan about being willing to do that if the sound could be improved. I kind of got the sense that the 40th anniversary set that's been released using the old 90's remasters was done to fill the demand for something while they focused on the new group. Now that's done, so perhaps Page will focus on that and hope after Plant gets another year or two of Alison under his belt he'll want to do another reunion show or something.

7. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Frank,

At one time, I felt the same way. I'm don't know what digital EQs you have actually tried but for my ears, the most transparent, artifact-free, most flexible and best sounding EQ I've heard to date happens to be digital (an 80-bit software plug-in).

Even my previous favorite analog EQs sound opaque by comparison.
    Not all digital EQ is the same. Just as not all digital converters and not all so-called 24-bit or high sample rate digital is the same.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Where'd you hear that? 'Cause I hope it's true.

9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Thanks, Barry! Your insight is always very much appreciated. I think people tend to over use digital plug ins and that muddles up the sound. I am very minimalistic when I master for people.

Frank R.

10. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It's been in the news for the past couple of days. I was hoping it wasn't true. Thee thre three of the world's finest musicians. Why shouldn't they get together and play THEIR music?

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I thought I just read they're ready to forge ahead?

12. kwf

kwf Forum Resident

There's no point in going around that block again. Most of the so-called "fans" on this board don't care....

13. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

15. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

They absolutely should. With Robert Plant. My opinion...YMMV.

18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

So why should Robert Plant be able to play Led Zeppelin music with other artists as he's been doing since 1988 but not the others?

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

20. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Because it's being casually offered, and enjoyed, outside of the context of the behemoth of 'Led Zeppelin' - with none of the attendant baggage and/or expectations associated with that name. And Plant knows this.

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Oh come on, I was there in '88 watching and reading all the interviews when Plant suddenly rediscovered that he'd been part of Led Zeppelin, dug out the arm bracelets and snakeskin boots and told MuchMusic's Laurie Brown in one interview that his new album was what would have been his contribution to Led Zeppelin XV. I was watching in 1993 when he dug out the '73 tour clothes and haircut and proclaimed he was singing Whole Lotta Love better at that point than in 1969. I saw the ads proclaiming Page and Plant as "the evolution of Led Zeppelin." I was also listening to his radio ads when he came through Montreal last time. They proclaimed an evening with the voice of Led Zeppelin as the vocal dive bombs from When the Levee Breaks and Whole Lotta Love sirened in the background. Last year, I saw review after review talk about the "voice of Led Zeppelin" teaming with country singer Alison Krauss and how the most enthusiastic responses of each show was for the Battle of Evermore and Black Country Woman. No, Robert Plant has done quite well trading on the "behemoth of Led Zeppelin." Yet he's only one of four members. Two others plus the son of the third decided they work well together on new music and wanted to form a new group yet the press kept insisting it was Led Zeppelin trying to carry on and fair-weather fans told them to retire. Again I ask, why should one member of Led Zeppelin be able to use the name for his personal gain but the others not?

22. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Yes, Plant was happy to trade on Zeppelin (with Page) for the Unledded period. No argument there. It was shameless.

But that's now 15 years ago. And it's the reviews of Plant/Krauss, and the audience response, that may well have highlighted the Zeppelin content. But other than performing 2 or 3 mostly drastically reworked Zeppelin songs (in keeping with the musical orientation of the collaboration), Plant has made little mention of the fact (I've not heard any promotion of the kind you're referring to). You're suggesting he's sold the Plant/Krauss tour on the Zeppelin myth, which, as far as I know, is utterly ridiculous.

You're seriously suggesting the following 'Black Dog' is no different to what a Zeppelin 'reunion' would be proposing?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QV50ACNlAek

23. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

I am well behind on this - who did the 1994 remasters ?

I have the original Diament's/Sidore Japan 32XD's (plus WG Targets) and the Crop Circle Box (Marino/Page).

Unless there is a 'lot' of extra bonus material what would any 40th remaster bring to the table I don't already have, especially considering the mastering techniques of today?

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Of course not, but dig out footage of Plant/Krauss doing Battle of Evermore or Black Country Woman and you won't see much reworking. As for Plant taking advantage of the LZ myth for Plant/Krauss, a good chunk of the sales for Raising Sand occurred in the run up to the O2 show. After the hoopla died down, it fell to the lower sections of the charts, bumped slightly when they did the CMY Crossroads special, then fell out of the top 100 entirely.

And what was so shameless about Page and Plant? Other than the fact they shut JPJ out of the process and used his signature song as title of their first album, what's wrong with two musicians playing THEIR music together?

Plus, we're veering way off topic here. I'm as guilty as the rest here but let's try and bring the focus back to the thread topic. The one silver lining in the Bonham, Jones, Page band not working out is that Page may focus on remasters/O2 DVD, etc., which he probably wouldn't have touched had he been focused on launching a new group.

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

George Marino did the 1994 masters as well since his crop circle masters were used. Forum member Zal worked on reconstituting the albums and told us that a couple of tracks had to be sent back to Marino for re-remastering since they didn't flow properly (hiss levels mismatched, fades sounded weird) when put back in the album order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.