Led Zeppelin "40th Anniversary" Remasters in 2009

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, but I'd still rather hear the Faces Nod then 2009 Zeppelin remasters. :agree::laugh:

2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Exactly!

"Sadly RL is long gone, now only Brickwall Bob remains."

3. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

would it be possible to release this years concert to vinyl?

as for the rest, what's the point? do you really think all those stinkin' Mothership CDs are sitting on the shelf cause they are brickwalled (or not). no it's cause everyone knows the songs and don't need anything else.

4. IIRC IORR

IIRC IORR Forum Resident

Why would they be "working hard on trying to replicate the sound of the original vinyl pressings from the 60s and 70s" as opposed to the sound of the original mastertapes?

What would be the basis of the implicit assumption that "the sound of the original vinyl pressings from the 60s and 70s" IS the sound of the original mastertapes?

IMO, there seems to be a little too much marketing-based appealing to the current nostalgia factor for "the sound of the original vinyl pressings from the 60s and 70s " at work here ....

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

:winkgrin:How about the SHM box that's coming out on the 10th?:cheers:

6. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't believe so. Mothership was aimed at new, young listeners. Lets hope the remasters at least match the Diament's. If they at least match soundwise, I'm sure the packaging will be far superior to the originals.

7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I hope it is not those cardboard sleeves where the cd would be scratched if you stuffed it back.They look cool but I would put the cds in a plastic jewel case

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just got back from a record store in Montreal where I mentioned to the owner that rumor has it the whole Zeppelin catalog will be redone next year. He wouldn't give me details but he said he's hearing it's more than a rumor and that the new releases unlike the Classic versions will have bonus tracks, etc.

9. steveharris

I`m not at all doubting you,this may be the most promising thing I`ve heard,but did he his info from a credible source? Any word on the rest of the live stuff?

10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I just bought a load of plastic inserts for these card sleeves so that they don't scuff, I am going to use them for all my Beatles cd singles, EPs and Capitol box sets. A lot of the Japanese mini vinyl replicas have them as standard.

11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

In the past when he's told me stuff about upcoming releases, it's been info he's heard from his distributors and he's been right on every time. No word on any live stuff but Page and Jones have both said they hope the O2 show gets out at some point. As for other shows, there's been no mention anywhere. To be honest, there are so many great sounding unofficial recordings out there, I doubt Page has any great desire to bother putting much work into more live releases.

12. steveharris

:)
    Thanks! that is what I wanted to hear,I still hope we get an official japan`71,after HTWWW came out I can`t even play Burn that Candle

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

COOL! :righton:

Any more info is welcomed :goodie:

I'd love to see bonus tracks, outtakes, alt mixes, sessions, etc, and of course, all the original artwork

14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Loud Bob sucks!!!!

15. steveharris

We all should send emails requesting non loud mastering.not as if they will listen!

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

We'll just have to write the emails in bold, italic, underlined, size 72 font. :righton:

17. Bowie Fett

From Billboard.com:

There is one piece of Zeppelin news to report. On Nov. 4, Rhino will release a 10-disc boxed set featuring the band's nine studio albums plus the rarities album "Coda" in mini-LP replica sleeves with artwork from the original U.K. vinyl releases.

The attention to detail is eye-popping: "Led Zeppelin III" has its gatefold sleeve with a rotatable laminated card disc, while six different versions of the cover for "In Through the Out Door" are featured. Even the complex "Physical Graffiti" inner/outer cover is faithfully reproduced.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003855970

Will these be the remasters? It seems like a lot of care was put into the set...

:cool:

18. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

:confused:

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Might be some good news then. I remember the planned Zep 4 release with bonus tracks that was mentioned in Record Collector so many years ago.

Page did say he had a lot of alt takes and mixes that would be good to release in an interview once as well.

If it had bonus tracks I would buy them regardless of the mastering to be honest but I hope the mastering is done well.

Eddie

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I knew Bowie Fett knew what she was talking about.

21. steveharris

Who is that on Bowie`s avatar anyway?
    until I hear otherwise This is just different packaging!

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No he doesn't. :rolleyes: Why is that sometimes despising one's work goes a step futher by despising the engineer as a person. :confused:

What none of us know sure is why he masters things in a certain manner. How do you know he doesn't master a cd as requested by the artist. If an artist wants his/her cd to be louder, the engineer does that. If not, the engineer loses work. Despite how we wish all cd's to be mastered, it just isn't going to happen.

23. Bowie Fett

Natalie Wood

:love::goodie::love:

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Release box for Xmas, individuals trickle out next year. Rhino has been doing this for years now...

25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

No I think these will be a Rhino-produced version of the box currently for sale on SHM-CD in Japan. It uses the 1994 remasters as source (except for TSRTS soundtrack, which is the 2007 remaster) so it's simply a nice new package for those who don't have the catalog already. Anyone who bought the 10-disc Led Zeppelin Complete Studio Recordings box in the 90's has exactly the same thing plus the bonus tracks on Coda that aren't on the new Japanese version!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.