Led Zeppelin "40th Anniversary" Remasters in 2009

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Really. I had the second pressing of the "trunk-full-o-45s" 12 inch vinyl preordered and then they pulled the rug out. :thumbsdn: Problem was, I didn't have the $750 ready to spend when they did the first pressing of those. Been cryin' in my beer ever since.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

don't think they matter much here as many are still trying to find Barry's masterings!:biglaugh:

3. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Don't you mean Love II - A Whole Lotta LOVE! Cirque Du Led Zeppelin ;) :laugh:

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Actually Giles Martin did say in an interview he did when Love was released that he'd love to work on Led Zeppelin remix/remasters.

5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I saw Elvis at Burger King.....

6. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I heard that the available "Outtakes" were actually songs from the IV sessions that are already released on Physical Graffiti and Houses of the Holy. If so, it would have been kind of "Complete Zoso Sessions Deluxe" or something. I'm glad they didn't release it.

7. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

There ya go Stefan... thats the next thing! The new Cirque Du Soleil show... "Kashmir - A Whole Lotta Love". :laugh:

8. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I saw Martin Burger King.

9. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member

In my view, the only person that should be considered for the mastering job besides Steve is the one and only BOB LUGWIG. Only RL Remasters will do the job.

10. Slipperman87

If R.L. did the Zeps the same way he did the 2002 Stones remasters, we could have some discs that would rival the diaments.

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

'dem's fightin' words around these parts.....

I'd probably buy them though. :shh:

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

NO. NOT BRICKWALL BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The days when Bob Ludwig did the kind of work he did on LZII are long gone.

13. Slipperman87

His mastering of Steely Dan's Gaucho was just fine.........that was only 5 years ago.

Memory Almost Full was brickwalled because that is what Mccartney wanted.

14. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

And Fogerty's Revival? And Springsteen's Magic? And Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same?

15. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

add the digital in rainbows to the list.

16. serj

serj Forum Resident

BRYAN FERRY "Dylanesque" mastering is not bad as the last Fogerty.. And 'Avalon' SACD just wonderful! And ZZ Top remasters are not bad too..

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Don't be silly. There are more than 2 capable mastering engineers on planet Earth.

18. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

It would be awesome if Barry Diament could get another chance at these, but that'll never happen. I'd really like to hear what he can do with today's equipment for a big label like Atlantic.

19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Just curious,how long would it take to remaster all the studio Zeppelin?
    On average what amount of bussiness mumbo jumbo usually needs to be sorted out for a project like this?(besides Plant not wanting anything new )

20. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

Ludwig is an industry guy. He'll give his clients what they ask for, and most of the time they probably ask for a really loud mastering. In the case of Springsteen's "Magic", the recording arrived squashed because of the horrible and amateurish mixing job by Brendan O'Brien. I'm sure if a client asked him to remaster an audiophile recording with no noise reduction, limiting, digital compression, and the like, he would do it and brilliantly at that.

I'd love to be optimistic about Zeppelin remasters, but after hearing "Mothership", I doubt there's any hope. The people they're aiming these remasters at are the same people that buy newer rock albums that are brick walled. Unless someone like Steve or Barry is given access to the original 2-track masters and are allowed to master them the way they're supposed to be done, the original Atlantic CD's mastered by Barry are the best there will be.

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

My thoughts exactly, unfortunately. Folks want to hear this stuff loud in thier IPods, dontcha know...:sigh:

Same goes for the Beatle's remasters, as well. It's just the way it is now, the "breath of life" is gone for good, unless another label like DCC or AF come along.

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

more live zeppelin cds
    more live zeppelin cds
    more live zeppelin cds
    more live zeppelin cds
    :)

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Sure, and Nick Davis can remix them. Maybe we can press them in the Philippines while we're at it!

(Who is Bob LUGWIG BTW? :))

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I was playing an old (original) copy of the Faces' album A Nod is as Good as a Wink the other night. It was obvious that this band had talent missing from other bands. The beautiful piano behind the acoustic and electric guitars and Ronnie Lane and Rod's vocals together. The song "Debris" as well as "Love Lives Here". Delicate layers and multitalented players all. They don't do it like this anymore. You can listen to the Black Crows or whatever, but you will not hear this kind of performance or recording. It has a magic about it that is hard to explain other than to say it is "classic."

And I was too young at the time to be groovin' in my parents house feeling on top of the world. Most of my favorite music is from the time before I got my first car, or had any money. It was not times of freedom and youth. It almost felt like hardship times actually.

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:confused:Wrong thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.