Led Zeppelin "40th Anniversary" Remasters in 2009

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Love II (A whole lot more) :D:D:D

2. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

I knew something was afoot when I was visiting a favorite record store in Northeast Ohio in March and they had marked down all of the Led Zep catalog to $9.99 and placed them in the "clearance" section of the store, which has ALWAYS been a tell-tale sign for me, at this particular store, that a re-issue of a band's catalog is on the way. I even asked the clerk if he knew about some pending re-issue program, but he knew nothing.

3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

That`s so long a wait.It would be great news but it`s so far off.I wonder if Eddie Kramer is involved mixing bonus material?That`s what the big draw for me would be,I`m not going to set myself up for dissapointment expecting to happy with remasters then end up not liking them.By a stretch of the imagination we were getting hybrid SACDs I`d realy be looking forward to these.

4. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

Does this possibly have any connection to the Bonham story? Put two and two together... at least makes a more credible rumor.

5. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

How about a Coda reissue with even more bonus tracks like Sugar Mama and Sunshine Woman?

Here's a thought: Pink Floyd's album The Division Bell came out in 1994. Most of their catalog was reissued and remastered around 94/95. That's both new material and remasters around the same time. Just an observation, and it could mean absolutely nothing.

Here's another thought: I just happened to wear one of my Led Zeppelin shirts to class today, and this thread was started today. Weird...

Will 2009 be the year of "original dynamic range restored" remasters? Only time will tell (and people who leak info too, I guess)... I'll still probably end up buying the remaster of LZ II if it does come out, even if it does get bad reviews around here.

6. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

I heard they are going to be Deluxe versions with an extra disc of live material.

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

With McDonalds coupons or without?

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

If I can't use my coupon, I'm note getting it. :mad:

Actually, I doubt I'd get it even with a coupon....

9. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

With, of course Dave :D

10. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Although IMO this is at least 10,000 times more likely than studio bonus tracks I don't think this will happen either.

My money is on no bonus tracks of any kind.

#1 Page has stressed that there's nothing left to put out studio-outtake wise, which seems to imply that he doesn't see early/alternate versions of released songs as release worthy.

#2 I doubt we'd see a deluxe version with bonus disc of live material (as long as Page is in charge and not the record company). I imagine we will see more live albums of complete shows or representative amalgams of multiple shows along the lines of How The West was Won. For at least the 1975, 1977 and 1980 tours anyway.

#3 The albums still sell. Very well, in fact. Some huge name bands take stands oppossed to comps or issuing of outtakes. Genesis didnt release either until they disbanded (or were nearly disbanded/questioning whether to continue without Collins). AC/DC still refuse to release a Best of comp. Mick Jagger has gone on record as saying he has no interest in vault plundering (and the non-event of the Stones' Rarities comp from a couple years ago bears this out). In short these bands either continue to sell well (Led Zeppelin), still tour (The Stones) or both (AC/DC). I'm sure if sales of these bands drop significantly or they break up they'd quickly change their minds.

This is all conjecture and of course I'd love to be proven wrong.

11. Slipperman87

Slipperman87 Active Member

isn't the 40th anniversity this year?

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Released 12 January 1969

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Mimic the sound of the 60's/70's vinyl?

Oh wow in that case will they have added pops and crackles, distortion starting after track three and coming out though the wonder of a mono speaker record player sitting on the floor?

Thats a lot of effort for authenticity I'll grant you.

14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think the opposite is true.
    He said that 20 years ago. I don't have a cite handy but Page has said there were "some instrumentals" in the vault and IIRC he has mentioned alternate mixes with different solos.
    No way Page is releasing anything from '77 and '80. There are no multitrack recordings from those tours and Page pretty much sucked on those tours (with a few notable exceptions). I wouldn't be surprised if we get some more '75 Earl's Court material at some point but those shows are way too inconsistent to release as complete performances. Page was on the decline by that point and Plant's vocals were awful some some numbers (Rock and Roll for example)

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

There's that infamous song from the In Through The Out Door sessions that no one knows what the hell it is. Came out with all those Bonzo iso tracks.

16. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Agreed.

17. Chris M

Yep, I'd love to hear that. There is an unbooted instro from the IV sessions and the often booted PG outtake known as Swan Song. There are rumours of a studio version of We're Gonna Groove attempted during the II sessions. Not sure if that is accurate.

18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Hey where have you guys been...that stuff's so 5 minutes ago...there's a BUNCH of exciting new Steely Dan CD mastering variations threads that are active, folks, come on, GET IN THE GAME! ;)

19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Fifteen years ago actually, at the time of the release of Baby Come on Home.

I'm sure these types of things exist (as they do for all bands) but when he mentioned them did he say (or at least imply) that he may release them at some point?

None of the booted studio outtakes I've heard (not that I've heard them all of course) are screaming for a release. I have a feeling that he's one to not want to dilute the legacy of the band with items he considers substandard, given his meticulousness in the studio.

Maybe I'm strange but to my mind Page's biggest contribution to the band was not as writer or a guitar player but as producer. Those albums are amazingly recorded productions to my mind.

20. Chris M

I wish I had the quote handy but he didn't seem opposed to releasing them IIRC. I beleive they considered releasing a Deluxe Edition of IV at some point that was going to contain some outtakes.

When Page said "there was nothing in the vaults" I have a feeling he was thinking in terms of finished unreleased songs with vocals. There should be things like Stairway with alternate guitar solos.

21. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Oh, that would be great!

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

What I'd really LOVE to see released is the catalogue in 5.1, with loads of extra material like alternate mixes, outtakes, sessions, etc, etc :righton:

23. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Yes to mark the 30th anniversary in 2001 but they scrapped the idea, I would assume due to Page's reluctance or Plant's veto over quality issues with the available outtakes.

24. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

It's out there.

25. Chris M

Really? Tell me more :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.