Led Zeppelin "40th Anniversary" Remasters in 2009

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Just to come to "RL's" defense...he has stated that he has been doing what was asked of him. He spoke recently about how much he hates the loudness wars. And--though I haven't heard it--he supposedly mastered the new Guns 'n' Roses very well, even giving Axl a choice of masterings and letting Axl choose the dynamic version.

If Page wanted him to make them all sound like RL Zep II's, he would.

2. Macman

Macman Senior Member

You're not alone. I don't care if I ever hear another outtake, alternate version or demo again. It adds nothing IMO.

3. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I don't have a problem with bonus tracks as long as it's still possible to listen to the original album in its original running order. Fortunately, most CD players are equipped with a stop button, which can be pressed by those people who don't like bonus tracks. And thanks to remote controls, you don't even have to get up off the couch to stop the CD.

Frankly, I'm amazed we're still having a debate. If you don't like bonus tracks, just burn a CD-R with only the original album tracks.

4. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I agree with the above.... more for the same price is better...especially when it's just an appendage.

I play my digital music from an audiophile PC anyway so I can create the playlist the way I want....

I would like LZ re-issues to replace the need to buy the now OOP and expensive CLASSIC Records...they weren't always better or even equal to the original vinyl but it's nice ot have a quiet copy....if CD can do that even better.

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I just feel if they didnt think it was good enough to go on the album in the first place then it has no business being there.

By all means bung them on another CD but leave the core albums alone.

However, as this is Zeppelin and its been said many times that the vaults of decent studio outtakes is pretty much exhausted then it shouldnt be a worry either way.

6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I have to disagree with this

In case of false starts, jamming, under-rehearsed performances, ok, you're right

But in the case of radically different songs approach, unheared arrangements or mixes, bonus material is such a revelation.

I think many people still have "Beatles Anthology" as standard in their minds, and that's a clear example of a GREAT IDEA, highly requested but EXTREMELY POORLY executed.

Talking about Zep, of course die hard fans know about that Scorpio 12 CD set, but there must be much more material hidden @ Jimmy's vaults

Also, check www.ledzeppelin.com
    why there're all those previously unseen clips? (and still updating! last time I checked there wasn't a Tokyo 1972 video) ;)

7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I guess the only thing I'd be intrigued to hear are the two other alternative solos Page recorded for Stairway.

Just out of curiosity really.

8. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

At least one of those is out there.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. There is a lot of potentially fascinating material in the archives. Alternate takes of songs, alternate solos, demos, outtakes, rehearsals for the 1977 tour were recorded by the band (do the tapes still exist?), live material from various tours, etc. Can't see why having the chance to hear an alternate look into Zeppelin's creative process wouldn't be of interest to fans.

10. attym

attym Forum Resident

Based on the way Page has cropped and chopped all of the live releases going back to TSRTS, I don't think he wants us to hear anything that comes across less than perfect. I can't picture him releasing an outtakes album, or at least one that wasn't very polished similar to Coda but i don't think he has enough new material to do that.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think he was already asked and declined. I think he doesn't want to supply individual tracks of each song. He wasn't too keen on that at all. Can't recall where I read that though and I'm sure it was an unofficial source.

I think it will be only a matter of time before Zep have a Rockband/Guitar Hero game out there.

Eddie

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Good point. Although it was rumored back in 2001 that a special anniversary edition of the band's fourth album had been planned with bonus material. Who knows. There is probably a better chance of additional live material being released. Although, for all of us dreaming of the Japan '71 tapes being released, it may be awhile because the tapes were reviewed during the HTWWW/DVD preparations and Page did not feel the tapes were releasable.

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Mate!
    How I wish TSRTS would have been at least "near perfect". That God-awful destruction of Bonzo's Moby Dick was the painfully worst zep listening experience I've ever had :shake:

14. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

What's wrong with that?

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

When Page said that he was talking about finished/near-finished unreleased songs. He has said that there are some unreleased instrumentals and has mentioned that there are some insteresting alt mixes with different solos, etc. I'm sure there are unreleased early versions and re-makes.

16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Moby Dick was the biggest let down for me on the 2007 TSRTS.I love the version on the original.I know they had to match the audio to the existing video,but the soundtrack edits on Moby no Quater and Whole Lotta Love are inferior to the originals,really a giant step backwards. :cry:

On the other hand I think Kevin Shirley and Page did an excellent job editing How The West was Won.The Whole Lotta Love Medley works even though a few parts were not included & Tangerine,Thankyou, Comunnication Breakdown are left out.People complain that the dynamics were squashed out in the mixing.I agree,but the mix could have been much worse,it really is not bad sounding at all.just not 100% to everyone`s tastes but it`s more than acceptable.The mastering is not painful either.

I don`t see why they can`t just put the studio outtakes on a seperate cd set.Page knows what he has and that people are interested in hearing it.I don`t mean to beat a dead horse but those mysterious Japan`71 multitracks hold the most interest for me.They could probably even put different versions of some of the same songs like the BBC sessions.How bad can the tapes really be? I mean other bands have these official bootleg series the Clash even put out the Vanilla tape demos.Who the hell knows you can only speculate :confused:

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

2 years old thread and still nothing

Any news? will ever see the new Zep remasters? :shake:

This reminds me the endless Beatles rematers discussions that we loved ;)

18. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I just L-O-V-E listening to the John Bonham outakes. The ones I've heard are from the ITTOD sessions.

My God ! He is such a Wonderful and marvelous Drummer ! !

I'm very happy to finally have Since I've Been Loving You fron TSRTS on CD.

Zep should have released TSRTS as a 3-Album set in 1976.

ELP and Chicago had already shown that 2+ album sets sell well.

Personally, I find that the Mothership songs sound re-mixed with the Vocals and Bass prevalent in a way that I do not remember from the original album mixes.

Not bad in itself, but I prefer the mixes I grew up on. (I guess Mr. Plant has more clout now in the re-issuing of Led Zeppelin material... ? ? )

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

They weren't remixed. John Davis, who mastered Mothership appeared here on the forum for a short time in late 2007. He described the source in the message quoted below. I asked him in a PM how he managed to get the sound on some tracks to change so much that they sounded like remixes and he told me it was all done with careful EQ.

20. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

:righton:

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Too bad, Mothership sounds lousy. Played it once and went screaming from the room. Are there any Brits that can remaster anything without copious amounts of treble.

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Mothership was one of the worst cash-in Page projects ever

Track selection is bad, as well mastering.

The 2 CD remasters were much better :righton:

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Don't pin it all on him. All three were supposedly involved in selecting the tracks and planning it all. Kevin Shirley, who was doing the remix of the TSRTS soundtrack at the same time said in an interview that he recalled seeing the three of them sit around a table planning Mothership, the re-release of TSRTS and the O2 show.

This actually mirrors what Page told Mojo magazine earlier this year about discussions being held about doing additional LZ dates after the O2 and all three of them took part with no one saying he didn't want to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.