Least Liked ( Original ) Beatles Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Iamnotthewalrus

Iamnotthewalrus Forum Resident

I like Till There Was You. It's cleary based on Peggy Lee's recording.

2. Garageflower

Garageflower Turn up the music. Hi as Fi can go.

I like the acoustic guitar, but that's all.

DK Pete likes this.
  3. Iamnotthewalrus

I like the song.

JFSebastion and DK Pete like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The song is ok but I love their overall performance of it.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Dagnabbit!! Again! Why do you fellas hate ETTBMB so much? I was just listening to BFS in its entirety last night and that song is a very cool George sung (and played!) performance. Bad Boy…hated it for the longest time along the same lines as Lizzy but then, hearing it one morning on the way to work, it’s very cool garage-band quality hit me.

6. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Rick Richards on Telecaster guitar, burnin.

7. Iamnotthewalrus

It's got a good groove and the lyrics are good. Sure, it isn't a personal favorite but I wouldn't list it as being bad. In some ways, I enjoy it more than the great While My Guitar Gently Weeps with that Great annoying guitar solo by the Great Eric Clapton we're all supposed to adore. I got confused there! You were talking about the Carl Perkins cover. It's good. His original is better, but theirs isn't bad at all.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

The Georgia Satellites. The band who had the big hit "Keep Your Hands to Yourself."

9. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Every other Beatles version of ROB I prefer to original. I would say the best is the Swedish TV one 0n Anthology 1.
    Buck Owens and I both say you're wrong.

That premise is kind of dumb. That's like saying Twist and Shout isn't one of the best the Beatles ever did but I'll play the OP's game.

Bottom 10 Beatles for Me in no particular order.
    Regular Releases (not including Revolution 9 or the German Single)

Tell Me What You See
    You Like Me Too Much
    Run For Your Life
    Long Long Long
    I'll Get You
    It's Only a Northern Song
    Blue Jay Way
    Flying
    Dig It
    Don't Bother Me.

10. Iamnotthewalrus

I agree with most of those. A lot of the songs people list here surprised me. Strawberry Fields , A Day In The Life is ruined by the orchestra, Eleanor Rigby, etc. Those are among my favorites of theirs. I kind of like "I'll Get You" and "Flying" but can understand why they've been listed but Beatles fans hating "Strawberry Fields"?!?

11. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Those are people whose negative vibes should be avoided.

DK Pete likes this.
  12. Iamnotthewalrus

Yes, it is. It's true.

13. Iamnotthewalrus

It's not the greatest song ever written but it's good. Have you heard Peggy Lee's recording?

DK Pete likes this.
  14. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

It was only that high on the extra amount after they had made a whole lot of money. We could use some of that tax policy now actually.

Iamnotthewalrus likes this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It’s nice…I’m just not a fan of her voice.

16. Iamnotthewalrus

"It was such a thrill to work with Peggy Lee who had been one of my idols since a kid. Her version of 'Til There Was You' was what inspired me to do it with The Beatles (of course, I didn’t realise it was from the musical 'Music Man')..."

Paul McCartney

DK Pete likes this.
  17. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Always surprised to see Bad Boy mentioned. It's my favourite Beatles cover. It absolutely rocks.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It’s a great version…there’s just something about her vocal tone I never connected with. That’s just me; she had a beautiful voice.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I place it in the Rock and Roll Music/Dizzy Miss Lizzy group of covers in which the vocals, while quite “powerhouse”, sound phoned-in as they say. Still, BB finally clicked with me after fifty years or so.

cyril sneer likes this.
  20. NYSPORTSFAN

A lot of The Beatles covers were better live than the studio. This is pretty heavy to be honest.

The Beatles "Dizzy Miss Lizzie"

Big Pasi and BostonBob like this.
  21. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

I'm fine with "Don't Pass Me By." It's charming. Nobody invovled was wearing a straight face, and so I can forgive its ineptitudes. They way I've learned to forgive "Rocky Raccoon." (Still utterly resistant to "Piggies," though.) A double album gave them a chance to stretch a little, and goof around a little, and include interesting genre pastiches and sonic experiments, and finally get Ringo a solo writing credit. But some people are crying for less, I presume on the theory that if they'd axed the likes of "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" from The Beatles, there were all kinds of superior tracks out there to fill the remaining space. (I'll give you "Not Guilty," and I wish they'd put their minds to "Sour Milk Sea," but then what? "Child of Nature"? "Circles"? "Junk"?? "Teddy Boy"???)

I don't think anybody's claiming it's objectively a great song, but it's a matter of opinion as to whether there's anything redeemable in it. It might be worth trying to imagine that there is, or at the very least why other people think so.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  22. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

Boys
    I Wanna Be Your Man
    Matchbox
    Honey Don't
    Act Naturally
    What Goes On
    Yellow Submarine
    With a Little Help From My Friends
    Don't Pass Me By
    Good Night
    Octopus’s Garden

23. NYSPORTSFAN

"Not Guilty" the Anthology version should have been released. The combination of the harpsichord, melodic bass and hard rock sound. This would have fit well on an album that had "Helter Skelter" and "Everybody Got Something To Hide."

The Beatles: "Not Guilty: 1968

24. BostonBob

BostonBob Paperback Writer

Love the live version of DML on the Hollywood album, even if it is a edited version of two different performances (to make it longer).

"I'll Be Back" comes to mind as a least favorite original, but I'm sure there are a few that I like less.

"That Means a Lot" is pretty bad if we're counting everything.

25. BostonBob

BostonBob Paperback Writer

I've wondered if his "See you around at the clubs" statement was caught on film but omitted from "Get Back" for some reason. It seems like they must have it in order to quote it. It's "funny" how "Let it Be" dodged the event entirely (except for a bit of the bickering that led up to it).