Layla 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gene Thomas, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Unfinished version on Crossroads is 5:31 I believe. I wonder how long this new finished version will be with the 3rd verse? I assume Clapton's vocals for the 3rd verse were available to be included on the Crossroads boxset but they decided to edit it at 5:31 during his solo.

Will be great to have a finished version.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I did not notice any additional parts beyond piano, organ, and Bobby's vocals, nor have I heard of any involvement from Eric.

I'm not certain who played it, but I don't believe it was Bobby.

The third verse exists on Crossroads, but is instrumental only as no vocals were recorded. 3:19 to 3:40. The third verse vocals on the new mix are solely Bobby's. The mix on Crossroads was not edited. That said, the new mix does go on for another 30 seconds or so to the end of the take, rather than fading out as the Crossroads version does.

3. Almost Simon

Curious. :confused: My money was on Dick Simms as he was the keyboard player from the 461OB. Marc Roberty's EC Sessions book mentions that Clapton and Townshend did return to the 2nd Domino's album tapes but no mention of what work took place and what musicians were involved.

But as Townshend took no part in the 461OB sessions we can't even assume it was Simms as i'm pretty sure that band didnt come together until Eric was in Miami.

Have to see who is credited when the reissue comes out next year.

Thanks for the info, i'll give the Crossroads version another listen later and compare it to the Live in Concert version. Very much looking forward to this release :righton:

4. Almost Simon

Is there anymore news about the final tracklisting for this release yet?? :wave:

5. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Any news on this one? Two months to go....

6. fspadafora

fspadafora Forum Resident

Disc 1 ■ The latest Layla Remastered 

Disc 2■ Layla Bonus Disc CD: 13 songs a valuable rare tracks (four tracks first appeared, six songs remixed) 
    1 Mean Old World (session outtake Layla / Eric Clapton [/ Anthology] included)
    2 Roll It Over (single B side tune produced by Phil Spector / Eric Clapton [/ Anthology] included)
    3 Tell the Truth (Single-A, produced by Phil Spector faces music / Eric Clapton [/ Anthology] included)
    4 It's Too Late (Live The Johnny Cash Show, November 5, 1970 / unreleased)
    5 Little While Got To Get Better In 5 (Live The Johnny Cash Show, November 5, 1970 / unreleased)
    6 Matchbox (WITH Carl Perkins & Johnny Cash) (The Johnny Cash Show Live, November 5, 1970 / unreleased)
    7 Blues Power (Live The Johnny Cash Show, November 5, 1970 / unreleased)
    8 Snake Lake Blues (April, 1971 / than for the second album session in May Dominos / Eric Clapton [/ Anthology] new mix that was recorded but unreleased)
    9 Evil (April, 1971 / than for the second album session in May Dominos / Eric Clapton [/ Anthology] new mix that was recorded but unreleased)
    10 Mean Old Frisco (April, 1971 / than for the second album session in May Dominos / Eric Clapton [/ Anthology] new mix that was recorded but unreleased)
    11 One More Chance (April, 1971 / than for the second album session in May Dominos / Eric Clapton [/ Anthology] new mix that was recorded but unreleased)
    12 Jam Got To Get Better In A Little While (April, 1971 / than Dominos sessions for the second album in May / unreleased)
    13 Got To Get Better In A Little While (April, 1971 / than for the second album session in May Dominos / Eric Clapton [/ Anthology] was recorded but unpublished New mix)

Disc 3 ■ (DVD: Only sound recording ※) [unpublished] Layla 5.1ch surround mix by Elliot Scheiner (Dolby / dts) * In 2003 SA-CD version is different. 
    (Bonus Track) Mean Old World

Disc 4 ■ (CD) [In Concert (CD1) Remastered]
    1. Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad
    2. Got To Get Better In A Little While
    3. Let It Rain
    4. Presence Of The Lord
    5. Key To The Highway
    6. Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out

Disc 5 ■ (CD) [In Concert (CD2) Remastered]
    1. Tell The Truth
    2. Bottle Of Red Wine
    3. Roll It Over
    4. Blues Power
    5. Have You Ever Loved A Woman
    6. Little Wing
    7. Crossroads

■ 2LP [year] 1970 UK Layla latest remastered from the master analog ・

7. fspadafora

photo of deluxe box

Attached Files:

8. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Don't know where you found this, but it's not only the lack of a source (not to mention the awkward wording) that makes this completely bogus.

- It continually refers to 'Crossroads' as 'Anthology'
    - More obviously, the stupid dig at Phil Spector

9. fspadafora

Hmm, sorry to offend you. Thought I was providing some information people would find interesting. Really would not waste any time posting bogus information here, but maybe that is something you would do.

Information is translated from a very reliable source (diskunion.net), but feel free to get a better Japanese translation as I did not know you would be trying to verify this for some sort of trial.

source:
    http://diskunion.net/rock/ct/detail/RT110118-DD-01

10. Mike D'Aversa

Who said I was offended?

And what's with the "maybe that is something you would do"? Sorry if I offended you. I also didn't say you of posting bogus info on purpose.

Anyway, thanks for citing the source and reason for the awkward wording!

Actually, I now think this probably is legit, considering the site it comes from, as well as the fact that an alternate translation of the text reveals that there is no dig at Spector (a popular pastime round these parts the last few years) -

Derek & the Dominoes / 'Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs - 40th Anniversary Commemorative Super Deluxe Edition (4 SHM-CD +2 LP +1 DVD)

Disc 1 'Layla...' - newly remastered

I Looked Away
    Bell Bottom Blues
    Keep On Growing
    Nobody Knows You (When You're Down And Out)
    I Am Yours
    Anyday
    Key To The Highway
    Tell The Truth
    Why Does Love Got to be So Sad?
    Have You Ever Loved A Woman
    Little Wing
    It's Too Late
    Layla
    Thorn Tree In The Garden

Disc 2 (CD) - 'Layla...' (debut four songs, remix songs 6) includes bonus CD: rare rare track to 13 songs

Mean old world (Leila session outtakes / 'Eric Clapton/anthology' in the journal).
    Roll it over (Phil Spector produced by single B side / 'Eric Clapton/anthology' in the journal)
    Tell the truth (with Phil Spector producing single-A song / 'Eric Clapton/anthology' in the journal).
    It's to late (the Johnny-cache, show, live, unreleased / November 5, 1970)
    While got-to-get-better-Inn-little-my (the Johnny-cache-show-live, November 5, 1970 / unpublished).
    Match box (WITH Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins) (the Johnny-cache, show, live, unreleased / November 5, 1970)
    Pm Blues power (the Johnny-cache-show-live, November 5, 1970 / unpublished)
    Pm snake Lake Blues (April 1971, included in the / 'Eric Clapton/anthology' sessions may, Dominos's second album for more but unreleased new mix)
    Evil (April 1971, included in the / 'Eric Clapton/anthology' sessions may, Dominos's second album for more but unreleased new mix)
    Mean old Frisco (April 1971, included in the / 'Eric Clapton/anthology' sessions may, Dominos's second album for more but unreleased new mix)
    One more chance (although April 1971, included in the / 'Eric Clapton/anthology' sessions may, Dominos's second album for more unreleased new mix)
    Got-to-get-better-in-a-little-while my Jam (1971 April than may, Dominos's second album for session / unpublished).
    While got-to-get-better-in-a-little-my (April 1971, included in the / 'Eric Clapton/anthology' sessions may, Dominos's second album for more but unreleased new mix)

Disc 3 (DVD) - New Remixed In 5.1 Channel Surround (Dolby/DTS)

I Looked Away
    Bell Bottom Blues
    Keep On Growing
    I Am Yours
    Anyday
    Key To The Highway
    Tell The Truth
    Little Wing
    It's Too Late
    Layla
    Thorn Tree In The Garden

(Bonus track)
    Mean old world

Disc 4 (CD) - 'In Concert (cd1)' - Newly remastered

1 Love's sad stuff
    2. While got-to-get-better-in-a-little-my
    3 Let it rain.
    4 Presence of the road
    (Less than the bonus tracks: "live at the Fillmore")
    5 To Highway barrier.
    6 No one knows

Disc 5 (cd) - 'In Concert (cd2)' - Newly remastered

1. Tell The Truth
    2. Bottle Of Red Wine
    3. Roll It Over
    4. Blues Power
    6. Little Wing
    7. Crossroads

Original vinyl double LP of 'Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs' (newly remastered from 1970 UK analog master)

Side 1
    I Looked Away
    Bell Bottom Blues
    Keep On Growing

Side 2
    I Am Yours
    Anyday
    Key To The Highway

Side 3
    Tell The Truth

Side 4
    Little Wing
    It's Too Late
    Layla
    Thorn Tree In The Garden

11. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

It sounds like a great box. Guess it will go for $200 or more.

12. fspadafora

No problem. I got the info up and was in the process of posting source. So next time maybe give the poster the benefit of the doubt, maybe simply ask for the source and wait more than 1 minute before calling something "completely bogus".

But you are probably right, I was the one who was offended. I do not post often, but I have seen too many people with valuable information decide to no longer be bothered with boards such as these do to such frustrating negative reactions.

In any case, I still am missing the dig at Phil Spector?

From the photo, it looks does like it is going to be a nice set. And in response to Mikes post, luckily the US version is only $89.16 on amazon right now versus the $200 cost of the SHM Japanese version we have been referencing.

http://www.amazon.com/Layla-Other-S...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1295625425&sr=1-3

13. Mike D'Aversa

Cleaned up a bit more -

Derek & the Dominoes / 'Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs - 40th Anniversary Commemorative Super Deluxe Edition (4 SHM CD +2 LP +1 DVD)

Disc 1 (CD) - 'Layla...' - Newly Remastered

01. I Looked Away
    02. Bell Bottom Blues
    03. Keep On Growing
    04. Nobody Knows You (When You're Down And Out)
    05. I Am Yours
    06. Anyday
    07. Key To The Highway
    08. Tell The Truth
    09. Why Does Love Got to be So Sad?
    10. Have You Ever Loved A Woman
    11. Little Wing
    12. It's Too Late
    13. Layla
    14. Thorn Tree In The Garden

Disc 2 (CD) - 'Layla...' Bonus cd (4 previously unreleased songs, 6 previously released songs newly remixed)

01. Mean Old World - 'Layla' session outtake (previously released on 'Crossroads')
    02. Roll It Over - Phil Spector produced single B side (previously released on 'Crossroads')
    03. Tell The Truth - Phil Spector produced single A side (previously released on 'Crossroads')
    04. It's Too Late - The Johnny Cash Show (November 5, 1970) - live, previously unreleased
    05. Got To Get Better In A Little While - The Johnny Cash Show (November 5, 1970) - live, previously unreleased
    06. Matchbox (with Johnny Cash & Carl Perkins) - The Johnny Cash Show (November 5, 1970) - live, previously unreleased
    07. Blues Power - The Johnny Cash Show (November 5, 1970) - live, previously unreleased
    08. Snake Lake Blues - Recorded April 1971, previously released on 'Crossroads' (newly remixed)
    09. Evil - Recorded April 1971, previously released on 'Crossroads' (newly remixed)
    10. Mean Old Frisco - Recorded April 1971, previously released on 'Crossroads' (newly remixed)
    11. One More Chance - Recorded April 1971, previously released on 'Crossroads' (newly remixed)
    12. Got To Get Better In A Little While (Jam) - Recorded April/May 1971, previously unreleased
    13. Got To Get Better In A Little While - Recorded April 1971, previously released on 'Crossroads' (newly remixed)

Disc 3 (DVD) - Album Newly Remixed In 5.1 Channel Surround (Dolby/DTS)

01. I Looked Away
    02. Bell Bottom Blues
    03. Keep On Growing
    04. Nobody Knows You (When You're Down And Out)
    05. I Am Yours
    06. Anyday
    07. Key To The Highway
    08. Tell The Truth
    09. Why Does Love Got to be So Sad?
    10. Have You Ever Loved A Woman
    11. Little Wing
    12. It's Too Late
    13. Layla
    14. Thorn Tree In The Garden

(Bonus track) -

15. Mean Old World

Disc 4 (CD) - 'In Concert (cd1)' - Newly Remastered

1. Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?
    2. Got To Get Better In A Little While
    3. Let It Rain
    4. Presence of The Lord

(Bonus tracks: 'Live At The Fillmore') -

5. Key To The Highway
    6. Nobody Knows You (When You're Down And Out)

Disc 5 (CD) - 'In Concert (cd2)' - Newly Remastered

1. Tell The Truth
    2. Bottle Of Red Wine
    3. Roll It Over
    4. Blues Power
    6. Little Wing
    7. Crossroads

Original vinyl double LP of 'Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs' (newly remastered from 1970 UK analog master)

Side 1
    1. I Looked Away
    2. Bell Bottom Blues
    3. Keep On Growing
    4. Nobody Knows You (When You're Down And Out)

Side 2
    1. I Am Yours
    2. Anyday
    3. Key To The Highway

Side 3
    1. Tell The Truth
    2. Why Does Love Got to be So Sad?
    3. Have You Ever Loved A Woman

Side 4
    1. Little Wing
    2. It's Too Late
    3. Layla
    4. Thorn Tree In The Garden

14. street legal

street legal Senior Member

This will be an easy pass for me, thank God. There's absolutely nothing here that I don't already have, except for the Johnny Cash Show performances.

15. Mike D'Aversa

Sorry to have "jumped the gun"!

This was the "dig" at Phil Spector that I misread -

I accidentally thought that was along the lines of Phil Spector "faces the music". In other words, his somewhat recent prison sentence for murder/etc...

16. Mike D'Aversa

Which are absolutely vital/fantastic (IMO, better than any other released live performances of these particular songs - they were on fire that night)!

You also have the new 5.1 mix of the album/the newly remixed tracks from 'Crossroads' (some with new overdubs)/the unreleased "jam" version of "Got To Get Better In A Little While"?

17. Mike D'Aversa

Forgot to mention this is an audio only dvd (though not a dvd-a, I don't believe)...

18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Surround mix only Dolby and DTS? Pass...

Do you think there will be a vinyl only reissue?

19. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Maybe so regarding the Johnny Cash Show performances (I really WOULD love to have them).
    As far as 5.1, I don't have a 5.1 setup, so that's a moot point for myself, anyway. Newly remixed tracks don't excite me at all, either. For the money this thing is probably going to cost, it just wouldn't be anywhere NEAR being worth it for me. I would only recommend this set to someone who doesn't already have the "Layla" album, the "Crossroads" box set, & either "In Concert" or "Live at the Fillmore". My guess is that leaves very, very few Clapton fans.

20. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I appreciate the info. Thanks.

21. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I have, or had, multiple copies (LP, cassette, two disc CD, 20th Anniversary Edition, MC SACD, SHM SACD) of this album. It is certainly in my top five or so of all time favorites.

But I don't have all the live recordings or the Johnny Cash stuff. So, at $90, I couldn't help myself, I pre-ordered.

22. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Disc 2 is where all the action is - I can't see anything to be gained from another mastering of the core album, I too don't have DTS/5.1 and I struggle to see what could be gained from remastering the Live At The Fillmore set (which, having been put together in the 90's but pre-Loudness Wars, surely dates from the golden age of CD mastering anyway!)

This isn't a complaint, per se - the D&TD catalogue is so thin that the content could have been quite easily predicted - but just an acknowledgement that the core audience for this will be pretty small.

23. Almost Simon

This is a must have for me. A little disappointed that a few more of the 2nd album outtakes weren't used. I know not many of them have finished vocals but from the boots i've heard over the years there's several more interesting instrumentals that were recorded that Snake Lake Blues, but thats just a minor gripe, as a boxset this looks very good. And released just before my birthday so i'm very happy. :righton:

Can't see the listing on amazon.co.uk yet.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It is.

Why do you say that?

I'd argue the 2nd album remixes are very good, and as above Got To Get Better has the new overdubs by Bobby, but I concede that there isn't a ton of new stuff.

Agreed on disc 2. And just so there's no confusion, the 2 live CDs are In Concert (original mixes), with 4 additional songs from LATF ('93 mixes).

That's the key...I believe the only tracks with vocals are those that have been released, with the exception of a few Jim Gordon songs.

25. Mike D'Aversa

Thanks for the confirmation, Luke (as well as, I presume, Bill L. :))!

This is pretty much the best package they could have put together from what was available IMO.

IMO, it's just a real shame that, presumably, Eric didn't want to participate in the "finishing" of the songs for the second studio album. Especially since he'd already put a lot of work into "Got To Get Better In A Little While" back in '71. He had most of his parts recorded, just not the lead for the third verse, nor any of the co-leads for the choruses. I don't know how Bobby's 2010 vocals are going to be able to cover for that... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.