Layla 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gene Thomas, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Anyone from Universal listening ?

If they get it out again on DVDA or Blu ray for instance will it qualify for a grammy nomindation next year ?

The ultimate kick in the nuts to those out there doing good work and making releases commecially available to the masses rather than locked up in overpriced box sets.

2. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I received my Super Deluxe set today and I was aware of the complaints about packaging so I was expecting the worst when I opened it. But I was pleasantly surprised. I wonder if the packaging has been modified. The first thing I saw when I opened the box was a large piece of bubblewrap. It protected the 3D top from the contents below and also kept things from sliding around much. Is this new? I don't recall seing it mentioned in any of the complaints I read.

3. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Where did you order from?
    I'm looking into both B&N and Overstock right now.

4. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

B&N with a 20% off coupon code.

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

jwstl, Go back and see Post 791 and 792. It only took nine months but it appears someone, somewhere actually caught on to what we figured out here 9 months ago. :rolleyes: Finally, a $100 box set saved by a $0.10 piece of bubblewrap. :winkgrin:

BTW, St. Louis is my old home town, are you a native or a transplant?

6. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

It sounds new. I bought the box on release & there was no Bubblerap inside.

7. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Thanks for the info on those posts. It's as if someone involved was reading this thread. I'm glad I waited to order.

I'm a transplant to Saint Louis but I've been here 11 years so it's starting to feel like home.

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Thanks for the tip about Overstock. Just ordered a copy. And congrats to Bill and Elliot on their big win last week!! :)
    Its been a big year for surround sound releases and its nice to see the best of the best get awards for their work.

9. Hip Einie

Hip Einie New Member

Long time lurker, first time poster here; working toward the number of posts I need to see the classifieds.:)

I just ordered one from Overstock.com, as well. Fingers crossed that we don't get damaged copies. I have the SACD, and the Scheiner 5.1 mix is the biggest reason I got this new set.

I don't want to take a chance that the 5.1 disc disappears along with the availability of this 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition.

10. Hip Einie

Hip Einie New Member

Got my copy from Overstock, and it had a piece of bubblewrap in the box. No damage to any of the contents, except for glue on a few of the discs, which I cleaned with alcohol and a lint-free cloth. The discs play fine so far, so I'm a happy camper.

The reason I bought it, the surround mix, is excellent. Really discrete use of instrument placement. The SACD 5.1 mix pales in comparison, IMO.

11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I just received my Overstock order as well. A bit of glue residue on the first disc, which doesn't bother me, as the MFSL is still the go-to version of this album to me. However, the bigger problem was that the set was totally missing the DVD. :(

I wrote to Overstock and they said they would contact their warehouse and try to obtain a replacement disc. We'll see how that goes. Sucks, as that was the single biggest selling point of this set for me.

12. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I also ordered a Layla Box at Overstock this week also. Mine was missing the Bonus Disc and the DVD. I was told by a Customer Service Rep. that they would send me the 2 discs from their warehouse also. I wonder why they are sending out boxes with missing discs? The box I received was in good condition and mine also had the Bubblewrap inside. The 3-D Artwork inside is cool and was in good shape. I can see how that could be damaged easily without the Bubblewrap.

13. easyge

easyge Senior Member

I had the same problem when I got mine from Soundstage Direct right as their stock was down to just 1. The DVD was missing. They did fine one and they sent it to me. Only bummer to me was the disc was not in the best shape.

14. Hip Einie

Hip Einie New Member

That does suck. Did you check to see if the disc fell down its slot to the bottom of the jacket sleeve?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's what happened with my set. It wasn't immediately obvious, but sure enough one of the discs had slipped down in.

16. Hip Einie

Hip Einie New Member

The gatefold for Layla should have been manufactured like the one for Aqualung. Put each disc in its own protective sleeve, then put each sleeve in its own slot in the gatefold. Better yet, jewel cases should have been used.

There's no excuse for having glue on discs, loose discs, etc.

17. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Welcome Hip Einie,

Definitely no excuse for glue anywhere near the discs. I like the Pink Floyd Immersion sets having the discs placed in sleeves.

18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I just ordered from Overstock too. I didn't know there were any of these sets still available except on ebay. So glad I read this thread!

19. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

Got mine from Overstock, and the mix of Layla in 5.1 is a revelation. I'm only familiar with that track, but it really sounds great spread out. I'm digging the rest of this album, which I've waited for Scheiner's mix to hear since I heard was rejected for the SACD.

20. BobFever

BobFever Forum Resident

Saw this at Best Buy right after release and they had that anti-theft wire that dents the box when it is on so tight. Refused to buy it. Was upset when it sold for some steep prices online. Very happy to see this. Thank You everybody.:edthumbs:

21. ssmith3046

UPS has mine on the way. Great deal from Overstock.com.

22. Now in stock at ImportCDs.com for $85.33 plus 5$ S&H.

23. ssmith3046

The set I ordered from Overstock arrived safe and sound. Since records are my main format I gave them a spin after a run through my RCM and was quite impressed. I'm looking forward to firing up my A/V set up and listening to the 5.1 mix. All in all for $86.00 I'm quite happy with this set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.