Layla 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gene Thomas, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

I've always been really miffed that when Live at Fillmore set came out I thought that it was an expanded version of the In Concert album and promptly sold my CD version of that.
    Of course Live at Fillmore omits a few tracks from In Concert replacing them with alternative versions, including a massively inferior Why Does Love Has To Be So Sad which loses all the punch in the introduction of the original.
    In Concert is now OOP which is really annoying!
    I hope this box set can right those wrongs and contain all of the original In Concert album with extras if possible.

2. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I don't understand the significance of using the UK master tapes. Wasn't the album recorded in Miami?

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I was wondering that also :confused:

4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I was thinking it would be

CD1 - Layla
    CD2 - Outtakes from both Layla, 2nd albums sessions and possibly the Spector produced debut single recorded during the sessions for 'All Things Must Pass' (Tell The Truth/Roll It Over)
    CD 3 + 4 - The Fillmore concerts again. I can't see where they'd get any other usuable live Domino's material from.

The last double cd release of the Fillmore concerts (Live at the Fillmore,) only featured just over 2 hours of material so there's still space for another 30/35 mins of live songs from the concerts.

5. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Yes, I understand all of that.

But I'd rather have a vintage jam without vocals than to have the "added" 40 years later.

If something was that poorly recorded, then it shouldn't be screwed around with to be deemed "releasable".

The desire to make 4 decade old ideas into actual "songs" 40 years later doesn't sit well with me either. I just don't see the point.

Yeah, I get the drift. And it reeks. All in my opinion, of course.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think there has to be more jams/outtakes from the sessions. I don't like the thought of Whitlock "finishing" tracks with modern-day overdubs. I really don't like that current philosophy embraced by The Stones and Springsteen. I prefer the outtakes to be in their original state, finished or not.

7. lennon_08518

lennon_08518 Forum Resident

That would be GREAT!! A little off topic, but I had Pattie Boyd sign my
    SACD of Layla when she was at The Fest For Beatlefans a couple of years ago.
    The disc is black and she signed the disc with a fine point silver sharpie.
    It looks fantastic....

and now back to the topic..........

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Possibly from the sessions for the aborted second album. But it's my understanding that there isn't much left from the LAOALS sessions. I believe the multitracks to the master takes were compiled together on reels while the other takes were thrown out or otherwise lost. There may be a few more things left unreleased, but it's my understanding the majority of what exists was issued for the 20th anniversary.

9. belardd

belardd Senior Member

the real question
    what is on the DVD?
    I've already got the Johnny Cash Show - 10 Minuites...tops
    what else?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It would be nice to have the stuff that wasn't broadcast.

11. PacificOceanBlue

Interesting. Well, we should be thankful for what we got with the 20th Anniversary set....I know I am.

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing.... although, I never owned a copy of the original In Concert album, just the Live at the Fillmore re-issue, so I've never had the chance to hear the original version.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Oh wow! You need it.

The version of Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad on "In Concert" is fantastic. It's light years better than the alternate that was included on "Live At The Fillmore".

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

For anyone who wants to hear the version of Why Does Love Has To Be So Sad from In Concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Aw7Jai7peM

15. PacificOceanBlue

Because the "In Concert" release is OOP, perhaps a few of the exclusive tracks that didn't make the Live At The Fillmore Set will get reissued on this set.

16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

That would sense since most fans have the Live At Fillmore live album released in the 90's on CD. I think the Fillmore material (if included) may benefit from a remix.

17. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Did this set drop yet?

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I was given the chance to hear the new mix of the studio Got To Get Better a few times, and while it does have new overdubs from Bobby (piano, organ, chorus vocals, third verse vocals, a few backing vocals), I'd say it works better than how it sounds on paper. The piano and organ fit right in, and while the new vocals are perhaps not seamless, they don't stick out like a sore thumb, either. Combined with the new mix, which IMO is a lot more vintage sounding than the one on Crossroads, I think for the most part it works. It's a *little* jarring after listening to the "naked" Crossroads mix for so long, but I wonder what my thoughts would be if I hadn't heard that and I didn't know the overdubs were new.

Cold ending, rather than the fade on Crossroads.

As far as I know, those were the only new overdubs, and only because the track was not completed (as anyone with Crossroads knows). AFAIK, no new Eric overdubs.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not as familiar with the In Concert (10/24) take, as I am with the LATF (10/23) take, but what do you prefer about the In Concert take? Neither is bad, but IMO there's a bit more energy or sense of urgency to the 10/23 take.

20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah... I've been keeping my eyes on the used bins for years, hoping to come across a copy of the In Concert CD, but so far with no luck. As a big D&D fan, I'd like to own the original version of the album... not just for the first version of WDLGTBSS, but for the several other alternates as well. It's the only "officially" released D&D material I'm missing.

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The MoFi double CD of "In Concert" is really good. Wish that hadn't gone in the great purge of about 3 years ago.

22. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Some additional info, including track information.....

http://www.yourwaytomusic.com/layla-gets-a-40th-anniversary-release-in-different-formats/

The set will be available in three formats:

1 newly remastered CD
    2 2CD Deluxe Edition
    3 4CD/1DVD/2LP Super Deluxe Edition

The provisional details are as follows:

1. Layla remastered CD
    2. Layla bonus CD (13 tracks including Johnny Cash TV Show and 6 Second album recordings)
    3. Layla 5.1 Surround Sound DVD (Elliot Scheiner mixes)
    4. In Concert remastered 2CDs with 4 bonus tracks

We understand that the vinyl album will be mastered from the UK ‘Super Polydor’ master tapes.

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

March 2011 is the timeframe I have read.

24. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I hope this is true, as I can save my money. As much as I love the Dominos, it doesn't sound like there's much actual new material here that we haven't already heard before, which is what I expected.

The bonus CD probably contains the same tracks we already have on the "Crossroads" box set, but I am very curious as to what the other few tracks will be, besides the Johnny Cash Show performances. I don't listen in surround, so the DVD would be pretty much useless for me.

25. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Is the proposed 5.1 mix the same as the SACD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.