Layla 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gene Thomas, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The 40th Anniversary Edition is Here!!

For those who are not following Bobby's thread, this is what he posted this morning:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=5946788&postcount=804

"LAYLA GETS A 40TH ANNIVERSARY RELEASE IN DIFFERENT FORMATS
    4 November 2010 by Your Way To Music
    filed under Reissues
    Leave a comment
    Derek and The Dominos classic “Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs” will be getting a 40th Anniversary release in March 2011. Ok, so it is late by a few months, but who’s counting!

The set will be available in three formats:

1 newly remastered CD
    2 2CD Deluxe Edition
    3 4CD/1DVD/2LP Super Deluxe Edition

Tracklists will be announced soon, but should include material from the Johnny Cash Show, the unreleased second Dominos album, live at the Fillmore tracks and much more. We understand that the main album will be mastered from the UK master tapes.

Bobby Whitlock’s long awaited autobiography is due to be published at the same time.

Related posts:

GEORGE HARRISON’S ‘ALL THINGS MUST PASS’ REMASTERED AND RESTORED FOR LIMITED EDITION, NUMBERED 3 LP VINYL COLLECTION COMMEMORATING ALBUM’S 40TH ANNIVERSARY On Friday, November 26, George Harrison’s magnificent 1970 solo debut, All Things Must Pass, will...
    BOBBY WHITLOCK PUBLISHES HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY THIS WINTER Bobby Whitlock will be publishing his autobiography this winter. Here is a short synopsis of..."

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Great, yet another super expensive Super Deluxe Edition to have to contemplate buying .......

We already have 5 or 6 tracks from the Dominos unreleased second album on the "Crossroads" box set. These tracks are a major highlight of the set to me, & I wonder if there's all that many more left that they will issue.

I am also VERY curious as to what is on the DVD. Were the Dominos ever professionally filmed?

3. crossroads69

Two tracks 'Its Too Late' and 'Matchbox' were filmed professionally in a TV studio for the Johnny Cash show.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Actually, it was the Ryman Auditorium here in downtown Nashville. :angel:

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Thanks for posting this here. I wonder if the UK master tapes will improve the sound quality of the original album any? I think I'll be holding off buying it until I read some reviews. I already own this on vinyl and have 4 different CD versions of it.

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

My Favourite album of all time :righton:

I have the vinyl, Original CD, SACD & the Box so I may as well go for the Deluxe 40th set too.

7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I wonder if they would consider hi-res downloads like ATMP by George Harrison?

8. crossroads69

I'm quite happy with my SACD. I'm hoping for better sonics on the Live on Fillmore stuff than the 1994 CD. I also don't have the Crosstoads box and so I'd love to have the tracks from the cancelled second album.

9. crossroads69

I'll also go ahead and re-post my only complaint about this reissue from the other thread:

"I wish they would offer the 4CD/1DVD super deluxe package without the LP's. Lot of fans don't have the equipment to play vinyls and so why make them pay for the LP's? Instead offer the 2-LP vinyl version separately so that more casual vinyl fans can also get it without having to pay the hefty super deluxe price. Clubbing the two formats together doesn't make a lot of sense."

10. street legal

It makes all the sense in the world ......... for the record company.

I agree with you 100%, though. These $150 packages are getting old pretty fast for me.
    The collector in me needs to have the unreleased material, but that's ALL I'm interested in, in these types of packages. The material that I want could usually be put onto 1 or 2 CD's & be sold for $20 - $30, bot NOOO ............
    I'm surprised they're not including reel to reel & 8 tracks in these packages as well. :rolleyes:

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Well.............this is all news to me............and i'm very happy :goodie::goodie::goodie:

The outtakes i've heard on bootleg from the 2nd album sound very good BUT they're instrumental. The boots believed to have come from Carl Radle's own collection. So maybe there are further finished tracks with vocals, who knows. I do know that some of the extra tracks are Jim Gordon acoustic tunes with Jim on vocals (they're not so good.) I think the same Gordon tunes were later tried out again during the sessions for the Traffic LP - Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys. I'm hoping they won't be part of this collection, they don't add anything to the sound and feel of the original Layla sessions. But the other full band recordings from the 1971 Olympic Studio's ouutakes do sound good.

I look forward to further news on this reissue. :righton:

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I've known about the 40th Anniv "Layla" for quite some time. IIRC, Bobby Whitlock has had a hand in "finishing some" of the Dominoes tracks from the aborted 2nd studio LP.

13. street legal

Oh, Christ Almighty ............. more of this again, like the Exile on Main Street rarities?

WHY do they have to tamper with vintage material decades after the fact?

14. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'd be one of the first to buy them. The BOTR was a good idea, I thought they might do the same for ATMP.

15. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I literally bought the 20th Anniversary Edition on Amazon a few days ago. D'oh!

16. Almost Simon

That would indicate a finished version of 'Got to Get Better in a Little While' which was released on the Crossroads boxset but with no backing vocals or keyboards.

But what about Clapton? Surely he'd need to be involved??

Can't wait for the finished tracklisting.

17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Amen to that.... I'd love to have some of these "super deluxe" editions, but it seems like a waste of money to be paying for LPs that I won't even be able to play. :rolleyes:

18. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

I agree with this completely. Really want to hear (and buy!) the remastered album and new material but don't want to pay through the nose for vinyl that will never be played. :help:

19. Almost Simon

Anyone ready to speculate what the 4cd's will include??? The main question being what tracks, if any, from the 20th Anniversary collection will be included??

20. stevef

stevef Senior Member

I was wondering if any additional unreleased material might surface for the upcoming release. I recall a fascinating alternate version of "Little Wing" that I heard that came out on a very rare obscure CD promo for The Layla Sessions box.
    And the Layla box neglected to include the "Tell The Truth-Jam" that was only previously released on the long OOP History of Eric Clapton LP (and HTF CD).
    While I've always enjoyed all the unreleased jams on the Layla box, hopefully there is some more unreleased material that might be included.

21. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I don't own the "History Of..." album, but have heard the Tell The Truth jam from it and thought this was one of the two Tell The Truth jams on Disc 3 of the Sessions box?

22. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Lots of reasons. The songs are unfinished. Missing vocals. Damage to one or more of the recorded tracks. Poorly recorded or not properly balanced back in the day. The desire to make demos and unfinished songs sound like complete and polished tunes. Vanity. I could go on, but you get the drift. Ron

23. Almost Simon

I agree, I believe it is on there. The one difference being that on the 'History of' album you hear Eric sing "Tell the truth" at the start (same as on the finished Layla album,) but after that the remainder of the tune is instrumental. On the 20th Anniversary boxset the vocals are removed.

No idea why though. That bugged me 20 years back when I first bought the Layla boxset.

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I'm sure you could find a buyer for the vinyl out of the set.

25. Almost Simon

Is that a studio or live recording??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.