Label saver? How about a dent puller? (WARNING LARGE PICTURES)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeff Guidry, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam

Be careful you are not sued by Monster. They probably have a patent on something similar. (Just kidding! This is a great idea.)

2. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I just tried this and was very pleased with the results. I found no warping or other pressure issue and I was able to use a stream of running water for several minutes with no effect on the label.

BTW, Harbor Freight has these suction cup dent pullers on sale for $2.99 this week.

3. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Nice one! Welcome to the forum.

Now, I gotta ask...are you any relation to Louisiana Lightning?

4. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

$0.99 each now http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46900

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Outstanding! and welcome to the forum. :wave:

6. Jimbob45677

Jimbob45677 Forum Resident

Good thinking Batman! might give this a go soon

7. sbroache

sbroache Forum Resident

Thanks! Great DIY label clamp.

8. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

9. Chris Knox

Chris Knox New Member

Great stuff! Just ordered an identical pair here in NZ.

10. xman

xman Active Member

Hi Jerry and welcome. A big Thank You. I made my own because I didn't want to pay $49.99 + S&H for a Goove Master (Extremely Overpriced). Although I like what I made from following instructions I learned on this forum, it is time consuming. That Brain *art of yours is just what the Doctor ordered and only takes seconds to apply. I paid $5.49 ea @ Pep Boys. Made by Bondo they look very sturdy and really do the job. You Da Man!

Anyone know of a smaller size for 45's?

11. xman

xman Active Member

My Bad, Thanks - Jeff

12. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

This could be very cool. I have an AutoZone a minute from my house and a day off tomorrow. I know what I'll be doing.

Thanks very much for the tip.

13. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Got two of these at Autozone and they work as described.

Pos:
    1) Cheap.
    2)They made cleaning faster.
    3)The handles made for a secure grip on the lps allowing for more pressure on the cleaning brush.
    4) Cleaned about 25 lps and no slips or loss of vacuum. No accidents.

Neg:
    1)The rubbers smells very strong, like fresh rubber. I cleaned the rubber with detergent and alcohol. It helped, and after a few weeks the rubber smell is slowly diminishing. I keep them in the basement. They smell that strong.
    2) It's a little hard to center when the dead wax area is small. On some lps I had maybe 1 or 2 mm clearence. In the future, I will cut the rubber disks a little smaller in diameter and that will help.
    3) Even after cleaning the rubber and wiping hard with alcohol, sometimes the rubber leaves a mark on the dead wax area. It's very small and minor and not circumferential. It looks almost oil-like. I haven't tried cleaning it off but I will next time. That part doesn't bother me very much as it didn't stop me.

14. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

Haha, I was waiting for someone to mention the smell. It is intense.

15. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Is there any harm to the record if the dent puller goes beyond the dead wax and on to the grooves? I have a new LP that has about .5" of dead wax on each side - I haven't bought them yet so I don't know if the dent pullers would go over, but 5" is beyond the dead wax on each side.

16. Blazer

Blazer New Member

What a great idea. I have used these label protectors and taken them to the next level. Mine were shipped off to Paulo Innovative Engineered Solutions in St. Louis, MO. They cryogenically treated my label protectors in liquid nitrogen at temperatures well below 320 degree Fahrenheit. When I got them back, I immediately cleaned 10 LPs for listening tests. The cryogenically treated label protectors made an astounding improvement in my 2 channel playback system. I experienced a more natural and less harsh midrange, a tighter bass response, a wider sound stage and more open, airy high frequencies above 22,750 Hz. Now I no longer feel the need to upgrade my phono stage. I strongly recommend this upgrade!

17. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

If you don't mind, could you tell me what they charged for this procedure?
    I'd really like to look into something like this.

18. Blazer

Blazer New Member

Sorry Hanglow... I was just joking!

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

While they were there, you should have paid for "demagnetizing" upgrade:laugh:

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Blazer, you must have got a bit of a shock when a response to your comment from 4 months ago suddenly pushed the thread up in "New Posts".

21. orthobiz

orthobiz Forum Resident

Or to grab a turntable from a rack! :)

Paul

22. orthobiz

orthobiz Forum Resident

Maybe it will counteract the smell from my GEM Dandy Super Cleaning fluid. I have to hide it in the basement.

Paul

23. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

Just don't bother trying to use them as dent pullers. They don't work.

Also, buy them at Harbor Freight instead. They're probably about half the price for the pair.

24. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Could be a fun party game also - vinyl tug-of-war. For more advanced players, try a "name that LP" play-off.

25. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Thats cool! I found a cheap ebay supplier in Hong Kong who sells these at under $4 each with cheap flat-rate worldwide shipping. They are 4.6" so I think should be the perfect size. I've ordered mine - hope they don't sell out too quickly - more than 10 available! :) Good luck all!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320431157357

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.