Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

We are not getting any of those here?

YRGM the album is also fake stereo, right?

Thanks in advance.

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

3. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

I'm suprised to see Muswell Hillbillies on there and not Lola Vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround Part One. It seemed to me like they were focusing on the Pye-era albums.

4. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I wonder how accurate the article is, Lola would be a strange omission if true and wasn't the Muswell Hillbillies reissue fairly recent? Unless the date has changed the first 3 are out on 28th of Feb not March.
    Also why release out of chronological order?

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I am by no means a Kinks expert, so, of the Kinks and Kinda Kinks sets, which offers the best selection of outtake material? I have the Picture Book box set. Is there a lot on these sets that are essential? Which album was better?

6. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

'Lola' is definately being released in a deluxe edition, as this was confirmed on Ray Davies' site

Here's the original quote from December 2009 on Rays' site:

The new year will be seeing the release of deluxe editions of some of the Kinks best works with tons of extra tracks, included in this will be Arthur, Lola vs The Powerman and Something Else.

7. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

This post pretty much sums up the bonus material.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6154129&postcount=20

8. PacificOceanBlue

I know, I saw it. I was just curious about whether the hardcore Kinks fans thought these reissues were essential. I like the band and enjoy that era of their music, but I'm not sure if I "need" the first two albums....

9. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I'm mostly a fan of the Kinks once Ray Davies started writing lyrics reminiscent of Charles Dickens and before he moved out of it. That said, I think album one is pretty significant.

10. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

This is

11. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Ok fair enough. I was refering specifically to your question regarding outtake material and that post pretty much sums up the tracks that are currently unreleased.
    As regards to the first 2 albums, Kinda Kinks would be a sound buy as there is still some strong Ray Davies originals that were left off the box i.e. Something Better Beginning and Nothin in the World Can Stop Me Worryin about that Girl. Like the 98 reissue of this album it is one of the strongest for bonus material with the complete Kwyet Kinks EP and related singles.
    Most Kinks fans will lap them up if there is a decent sonic upgrade and for the Stereo version of the debut.....

12. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Yea, I don't really want to believe exactly what an article says that does not even give a source of it's information. Plus, I doubt they are reissuing Muswell Hillbillies and not Lola vs. Powerman. It would be nice to get all these next year though.

I'm hoping Sandoval will chime in sometime soon for details. Since he has not, it worries me that they may not have found the best masters or that the sets are actually pending and could be pulled at any moment.

14. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

It doesn't look like we're getting any fake stereo here except, possibly, for the fake-echo version of "You Really Got Me" (the song). The fake-echo version was originally released on LP with additional fake stereo reverb between the channels; CD reissues of this version have sometimes used the same fake stereo, and have sometimes been in mono. No idea how it's going to show up here yet.

No. You Really Got Me is a shortened American counterpart to the British album Kinks, and stereo editions of both albums use true stereo mixes (except for "You Really Got Me" itself, as discussed above).

As jl151080 said, plans for Lola have already been announced. I'm not as confident that we'll see deluxe editions of Kelvin Hall (what would they use for bonus tracks?) or Percy (it's just not that popular), though I'd like to see both.

Kinda Kinks is more consistent than their debut, but they were still finding their way at that point; I'm sure you'd enjoy both albums, but neither is crucial to a casual fan if you already have Picture Book. The Kink Kontroversy, on the other hand, is a stunner from start to finish.

15. Adam9

Maybe there'll be a Eddie Cochran tune or two as bonus tracks. ;)

16. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

Amazon.ca has them listed for $26.99 ea and a release date of March 22/11

17. Import Cds has them at $20.95, this is the lowest i've seen so far.

18. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That was the original title, as suggested by Bob Dylan. ;)

20. PacificOceanBlue

Thank you. I have already placed The Kink Kontroversy in my cart because that one originally looked like a must-have. I'm still debating about the first two albums....I may lean towards Kinda Kinks at this point as well.

21. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Kinda Kinks is a good album. If you enjoy Kontroversy, you would enjoy Kinda Kinks.

22. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

23. I still don't understand how Muswell Hillbillies is part of this series. Anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if the article just got it wrong... maybe they meant to say 'Village Green'?

24. Adam9

Well, there already is a VGPS Deluxe Edition.

25. Exactly. I'd expect a reissue of VGPS as part of the new series more so than Muswell due to Muswell being owned by a different label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.