Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It's on Kinda Kinks.

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

A few people would buy it :laugh:

3. I would pay $50 for a good SACD of the Ugly Pink CD mastering.

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

+1.

5. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I might not be as discerning as some, but I thought the 3-CD Village Green set was all I wished it would be, sound-wise. I also got a taste of what they could have been with the re-mixed Johnny Thunder. I was startled (in a good way) when I heard the track. The Kinks could have been produced by George Martin and mixed by someone else, but then it wouldn't have been the Kinks. Hearing Johnny Thunder so full and rich made me wish it was.
    But, I digress. I'm interested to hear these, especially the monos of course.

6. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

+1

Expectations for the Kinks SQ are unreasonably high. Pye Studios was a bit of a dump that none of the other major UK groups went back to, after they had enough money to record elsewhere. The Kinks limited appeal in the US (and, to a lesser extent, even the UK) during the late 60's, along with the inability to tour the US at that time, made them easily the greatest pop/rock act with the least amount of money during the 60's...

7. william shears

william shears Senior Member

And yet....
    I pulled out a first press UK Pye 'Kinda Kinks' LP yesterday after reading this thread. Beautiful full sound, raunch, mono-attitude, lovely bass, it just sounded so good. The US pressings of Kinks stuff was always mucked around with, the comparison with the equivalent american releases from the period is stark.
    The real issue is how badly the catalogue was served during the digital era.
    For me, personally, the sound on '65's 'Kinda Kinks' is just as good, maybe better than the mono 'Help' from that era or 'Out of Our Heads'.
    Pye was second division maybe, but after all the blather has died down the Who's records, right thru the 60s had a zillion issues with sound quality.
    Castle/Sanctuary have not served the legacy of the Kinks with any great honour.
    Steve's 'Searchers' SACD and the Donovan comp prove that the SQ from the Pye studios could be quite magical. Listening to the original Kinks UK 45s and LPs reveals the same magic....

8. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I wouldn't put all the blame on the studio. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, the deluxe edition of Village Green Preservation Society features a remix of Johnny Thunder from the original multitracks which sounds surprisingly good. So the problem may have to do more with the mix than the studio.

9. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

+1 :wave:
    those Pye st. recordings I have (Donovan, B. Jansch, Kinks, and others) may sound 'unrefined', raw sometimes, but they do have presence and detail missing on many other recordings of that era, I love them!
    Doc

10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up.

11. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Agreed. I'll add that I never really liked this album until I scored an original UK Pye mono. I tossed it on one day and it exploded from my speakers. The sound quality was on a completely different level than the CD I had and led me to re-evaluate the album. I now love it!

12. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

But in that case, why wouldn't it be with the other BBC tracks?

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Tracklisting for Kontroversy is up on Amazon. First cd is original album only. Here is what's on the second disc (according to Amazon).

1. Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
    2. Sittin' On A Sofa
    3. I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    4. Mr Reporter
    5. Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
    6. Time Will Tell
    7. And I Will Love You
    8. I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    9. All Night Stand
    10. Milk Cow Blues
    11. Ray Talks About Songwriting
    12. Never Met A Girl Like You Before
    13. Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight
    14. Pete Talks About Records
    15. Till The End Of The Day
    16. A Well Respected Man
    17. Where Have All The Good Times Gone

14. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Looking forward to these. Thought I might add that www.bangcd.com has all 3 for £11.99 ea. Anyone ever use these guys?

15. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I wonder what the thinking behind putting 'I'm not like Everybody Else' on Kontroversy is all about? Surely a better fit on Face to Face being the bside of Sunny Afternoon. I also would prefer the Kwyet Kinks ep on Kontroversy rather than Kinda Kinks.

I'm probably splitting hairs, if they sound as good as the tracks on Ultimate Collection I'll be one happy Kinks fan.

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Do we know what versions these songs are yet? Perhaps it's an early demo or something.

17. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Could be, there are 2 versions though so would be surprised if they have unearthed 2 alternate versions from the end of 65 early 66. The one sandwiched between All Night Stand and I Will Love You is probably a demo.
    Anyway only another few weeks of fruitless
    speculation. :laugh:

18. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

A lot has been posted about mono content.

Is there any new or rare stereo content on any of these discs?

19. Matthew B.

Stereo versions for most of these tracks do not and cannot exist. The new version of "I Don't Need You Anymore" may be a stereo mix; "I Believed You" is described in the press release as stereo, but that's almost certainly an error. I wouldn't describe any of the other known stereo content as "rare," though the stereo mix of Kinks has been out of print for some time outside the U.S.

We'll have a better idea of what's going on when they release more details, but there's probably been some minor juggling of the chronology just to find more bonus tracks to fill out Disc 2 for Kinda Kinks and Kontroversy, which unlike their other albums through 1969 have no stereo version.

20. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

21. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

OK, are we getting the Pye mono mixes of all three in album sequence?

That comment on "alternate mono mixes" is scary. The alternates are the "stereo" ones.

22. Matthew B.

Yes, along with the stereo mix of Kinks in album sequence. Kinda Kinks and Kontroversy do not exist in stereo.

"Alternate" just means that it's different from the standard UK single or album mix. And we're getting all the standard mixes as well, be they mono or stereo.

23. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Surprising hmv.com don't have these listed yet. I want to know what their prices will be.

24. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Thanks, Matthew.

Not even in Reprise issues?

25. Matthew B.

Reprise put out some fake stereo mixes of those LPs, if that counts, but no true stereo mixes. Both albums were recorded with overdubs made directly to the base track on single-track tape, so stereo mixes were impossible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.