Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Sorry I misread the year off the liner notes of the Castle remaster. I have that book by Doug Hinman although it's been in the hands of a friend for a while. And I swear that that book had it 1967; I keep copious notes I've used when compiling deluxe cassette versions of albums back in the day. I've always liked how "This Is Where I Belong" setup "Waterloo Sunset" on The Kink Kronikles so I copied it on my cassette of Something Else By. It followed "Funny Face" and "End of the Season" followed "Waterloo Sunset" and finally "Act Nice and Gentle". Well The Kinks used 2 older tracks on Face to Face so I might just keep this sequence as is when/if I make my CD-R version.

2. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

Oh hey look, Something Else and Arthur are coming out. Now I'm interested.

Anyone have any wavefroms of the recent Deluxe Editions? I want to see if the peak limiting people were talking about is anything to be worrying about. If it's only as bad as the Village Green Deluxe Edition, then I'm jumping right in.

Although, I hope the EQ is a little better than the VGPS DE.

If they are too loud, then I'll probably still get Something Else and Arthur for the bonus tracks but find a better stereo Arthur. From what I remember, the one to get is the Castle with the reversed channels, right?

3. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Thanks!

Seeing that makes me feel better.

I wonder if Ray has multis of most everything once they started recording in stereo/3-track in 1966, but has always just kept them to himself (doesn't want to mess with history)? He has admitted that he used to like to keep certain session tapes.

Maybe he agreed to let Sandoval use some of them for this awkward 1966 period, where many songs just never got a stereo mix for whatever reason?

Then again, we're not getting stereo mixes for "Act Nice and Gentle" or "Mr. Pleasant" on the 'Something Else...' Deluxe, so who really knows what the hells is going on?

4. Mike D'Aversa

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=238973

5. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

The people at theseconddisk.com or whoever that has been annotating the sources of the deluxe's tracks have done a pretty good job, but when it comes to the rare/unreleased stereo mixes they are only guessing, I think.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Just scored a copy of the 10-track Sanctuary Promo CD made for the 2001 BBC Sessions release. Hopefully "See My Friends" won't have the cross-fade over the first note!!

7. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Waveforms in post #742. I don't think the peak limiting is anything to worry about, but some people were alarmed.

8. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

That always sounded like malarkey to me. As someone at BSN pointed out, why would Pye be using their budget division to put out promos for recent hits? And why hasn't any copy of this LP materialised?

I don't think he has much, if any, stuff from Pye, though. See this interview from 1998:

Michael Fremer: But you got all of the RCA tapes back?

Ray Davies: We got most of them back. Fortunately, the ones that were slightly damaged, which I felt concerned about, I had taken the time to make really good copies.

Michael Fremer: And you still have the multi-tracks on these things? Which is something you don't have from the original Pye releases.

Ray Davies: No, they exist! They swear they don't have them, but I know they do.

I think they have some multis here and there from other albums too, but it's pretty hit or miss. If there were actually a complete set of multis for Face to Face then I'd expect to see full stereo remixes of "Party Line," "House in the Country," and others beyond what we're getting — instead there's just a handful of remixes, including stuff like "You're Looking Fine," which already had a genuine stereo mix to begin with.

Google Books doesn't show any use of Harry Rag meaning fag prior to 1967, though the similar oily rag turns up in slang dictionaries. On the other hand, Rosie Lee for tea was in general use before "Have a Cuppa Tea."

Guy E has mentioned the waveform picture. For comparison sound samples, see this post.

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Where? When? (Kelvin Hall doesn't count):confused:

10. Matthew B.

Sorry; on the forthcoming Deluxe Face to Face.

Or if you meant where's the existing stereo "You're Looking Fine," it's on the existing stereo Face to Face.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It's in mono on the stereo FTF.

12. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

Are you sure?

I thought it was one of the few proper stereo mixes on the album. It's probably narrow, though.

13. Matthew B.

I'm listening to it now, and it's stereo. Narrow, but stereo.

14. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

"Deluxe Edition" stickers

Anybody doing anything creative with the "Deluxe Edition" stickers? Saving them somehow? Are you keeping them on the covers or removing them?

15. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

They seem a little useless. i threw mine away that came on the John Barleycorn Deluxe. Will probably do the same with The Kinks Deluxes once i get them.

16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I stuck them to the side of the trashbag. Then I sprinkled some coffee grounds over them. I screamed "Magnifico" and kissed three of my fingers.

17. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

I wonder when the 30-second previews will be available.

I'm intrigued about some of the alternative versions, like Little Miss Queen of Darkness on the mono FTF disc. And I'd like to know if the stereo Hold My Hand is the demo version from the Star Parade compilation or an unreleased stereo mix of the mono single.

What are we expecting in September? Did Andrew Sandoval say he'd remastered the lost Dave Davies album years ago and it still wasn't released? The only problem I can think of is duplicates - they seem to be avoiding them. Some of the tracks will surely be bonus tracks from the current deluxe issues, unless there are different mixes. The only track missing now is There's No Life Without Love. We can also expect Muswell Hillbillies in September. Is Lola going to be in that batch, too?

18. Laservampire

Hopefully soon! I can't wait to hear these :agree:

Hopefully it's the (apparently excellent) unreleased stereo mix, the mono mix is so murky sounding. As far as I know they don't have the master for the Star Parade version of "Hold My Hand", at least not at the time they compiled the unreleased 2002 Album That Never Was.

Yes, the mastering was finished in 2002 but never got released. Even if they did a single disc remaster of it we'd still be getting 5 or 6 tracks that aren't on the deluxe editions:

"There's No Life Without Love" (mono and unreleased stereo)
    "Crying"
    "Are You Ready"
    "Do You Wish To Be A Man"
    "Hold My Hand" (Star Parade Demo)
    "Good Luck Charm" (mono mix from acetate, hopefully not lossy sourced like the Picture Book boxset!!)

19. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

Thanks!

Looks like I'll be seeking out that old Arthur CD after all....

20. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I'm convinced. That's what I'm going to do next time.

21. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I stuck it on the cover of my deluxe CD-R of Rolling Stones No. 2. If only!

22. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Was keeping 'em hoping to think of something creative, then I thought....nah, just through the d*mn things away. I know the sets are deluxe.

Speaking of these deluxe issues, when do you think Amazon (US) will lower their price? Still above $30 and not moving. :shake:

23. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

<<Yes, the mastering was finished in 2002 but never got released. Even if they did a single disc remaster of it we'd still be getting 5 or 6 tracks that aren't on the deluxe editions>>

Has there every been any official explanation as to why the Dave Davies solo album was never released? I'm not talking about the first time around, in the 60s, but more recently. It would have been sense to have released the album right after the single disc Santuarcy reissues.

24. Laservampire

No idea on that man, could have been many things:

- vetoed by Dave or Ray
    - licensing issues with Reprise
    - Sanctuary canned the project for unknown reasons

From what I've heard, they re-used the 2002 masterings for "Creeping Jean" and "Groovy Movies" on the 2004 VGPS Deluxe when Ray wouldn't allow them to use "Pictures In The Sand" and "Till Death Us Do Part"

25. Mike D'Aversa

Perhaps the same reason as before. Lack of enthusiasm for the project by Dave and/or the record company?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.