Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Indeed!
    ... and welcome to the forum!

:edthumbs:

2. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

What happened to these? - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6530048&postcount=962

18. You're Looking Fine [Alternate Stereo Mix]
    19. Sunny Afternoon [Alternate Stereo Mix]
    20. Fancy [Alternate Stereo Mix]
    21. Little Miss Queen Of Darkness [Alternate Stereo Mix]
    22. Dandy [Alternate Stereo Mix]

What happened to these? - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6530048&postcount=962

18. Hold My Hand
    19. Victoria [BBC Version]
    20. Mr Churchill Says [BBC Version]
    21. Arthur [BBC Version]

3. ChrisdeB

ChrisdeB Forum Resident

Many thanks.Anyone going to Meltdown. I have tickets for rhe final night with the London Philimonic

all the best

Chris de B

4. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

There seem to be conflicting reports on the tracklists. Spincds and amazon.co.uk agree with the shortened version of Arthur cd2.

5. ifoundout

ifoundout New Member

I'm out.

6. ChrisdeB

ChrisdeB Forum Resident

7. MOSSTWO

MOSSTWO New Member

It is just the general excitement

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

How is the mastering on
    TVGPS deluxe ?

9. Mike D'Aversa

Nobody knows, as its never been brought up for discussion before now...

10. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

It's just one man's opinion, but I think the deluxe Kinda Kinks and The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society are..
    Kinktastic sounding. :D Add all the bonus material and nice booklets..and what's not to like ?

I'm really enjoying these two and The Kink Kontroversy also.

11. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

Nowadays there's no new release or reissue that hasn't some limiting applied ( except those comin from AF or MFSL and in some cases there has been some controversy too..............) at least they are not brickwalled or horribly EQ'ed-------so they might be better ?? sure..........but despite being modern reissues, they are fine..........I like them more than the beatles remasters that are so highly regarded by some.....in fact they are better to PRT's in some ways........

12. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I agree. A bit of limiting is par for the course with almost any cd you buy. It's a real mistake to assume that it means brickwalling.

To me, these discs are sounding mighty fine. :righton:

13. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Why is "This Is Where I Belong" on Face to Face? It was recorded sometime between Feb & May 1967 as were several tracks on Something Else.

14. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It was recorded in May 1966, according to Doug Hinman.

It couldn't possibly have been recorded as late as May 1967, since it was released that April.

15. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

So is there any truth to the rumor that "Sunny Afternoon" was released in stereo back in the day on a promo Marble Arch LP? I think I read that over at the Both Sides Now board but no-one offered up any proof...

16. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I seem to recall that the earlier tracklists were tentative and "pending Ray's approval".

17. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

The possibility that these tracks may not make the final cut makes me very sad.

18. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Is that before or after being remastered?

19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I guess I shouldn't believe every last thing I read on the Internet, but that was the first explanation that popped up.

20. Laservampire

The tracklists are complete on the HMV UK site.

I believe it's just a case of the end of the list being lopped off and many sources copying the shortened tracklist. The tracklist for Face To Face on the previous page is shortened, but the annotations refer to tracks that aren't listed.

AFAIK, Ray has nothing against the mono mix of "Hold My Hand" or the BBC tracks on the Arthur Deluxe, so there's no need to worry. If it were unreleased songs appearing then disappearing, then it would be Ray vetoing them.

21. Mike D'Aversa

That's gotta be an urban legend. Although just a promo LP, I still think it would have leaked at some point over the years. The closest we have at the moment is that really weird sounding version with little of the instrumental track audible/Ray's lead vocals on one side/Rasa & Ray's backing on the other. Is that some sort of elaborate OOPS/extraction job? Or a bizarre overdub session tape/work mix, perhaps?

On a related tangent, and provided the original HMV tracklist is correct, how is it that so many complete session multitracks exist from the FTF era (and, presumably, almost no other during the PYE years?

I think Andrew Sandoval has hinted at new stereo mixing for that issue, but does anyone have a link to it? Are we that confident that, at least, some of those ("This Is Where I Belong"/"Big Black Smoke"/etc) won't be the same old fake-stereo (ala the "stereo" YRGM from the debut)?

22. Laservampire

Pretty sure the circulating stereo mix is a rough mix from the multis, recorded onto a cassette. There's also a much better quality boot of the backing track only.

I doubt that Andrew would use fake stereo on anything (YRGM notwithstanding, being more of an "added reverb" mix)

Here's the quote from Facebook:

Attached Files:

23. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

It was available in simulated stereo.

It's also available as a (rough) stereo mix and as a backing track on bootleg releases only. :)

24. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

That much is true, as in

Disc 2, Tracks 16 and 19 from Sunny Afternoon - Marble Arch MALS 716 (U.K.), 1967

(track 19 is not in the tracklist)

25. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

I shouldn't think any of the tracks will be from the Marble Arch compilation.

Those are budget poor-quality simulated stereo versions, and Andrew Sandoval would not include these on the deluxe CDs.

We should expect FTF to include previously unreleased proper stereo mixes.

The stereo mix of the album itself is a bit all over the place, with some tracks in stereo, some in simulated stereo and some in mono! I believe this is the reason for all of the alternative stereo mixes featured.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.