Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ifoundout

ifoundout New Member

I'll be interested to hear whether these were given the "modern mastering" treatment.

2. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Is it absolutely certain "I'll Remember" was recorded that early (I mean as certain as the Beatles recording dates/tapes/documents are)?

If it was, then (IMO) there should be a thread on this, because Ray Davies and George Harrison must have been somehow sharing each other's minds...

3. Mike D'Aversa

???

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Yeah me too. Maybe we should have a thread on these Kinks Deluxe editions and discuss them and the mastering. :D

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Really? You want to find out how they sound to see if you want to buy them?
    That's just crazy talk!

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

How's the mastering on the new Kinda Kinks?

7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Worlds better than the 1998, slightly fuller than the PRT but a bit louder. Don't hesitate man, just buy 'em!

8. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

About Kinda Kinks...
    The PRT Kinda Kinks is the one exception in an otherwise great batch: Too bright. The remaster corrects that by bringing in some much needed low end, but is compromised with digital compression. The version on the MFSL Kinks / Kinda Kinks twofer is superior to both.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  9. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'm pretty sure the Mofi is just re-eq'd from the PRT, I'll have to double check that though.

10. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I don't think the timing on the the Mofi is a close enough match for it to be re-EQed from the PRT. Certainly the first album isn't; the PRT "You Really Got Me" has the fake echo, but it's actually mono, while the Mofi "You Really Got Me" has fake stereo reverb with a glitch in the right channel absent from the PRT.

11. Matthew B.

Nope. Doug Hinman's book says that "I'll Remember" and "Listen to Me" may have been recorded at the first Kontroversy section, and that "Time Will Tell" might have been as well, but there's doubt about the latter because it was never submitted for publishing. I would infer from that that "I'll Remember" and "Listen to Me" were submitted to their publisher around that time, but Hinman doesn't actually say that.

Even if "I'll Remember" were from a later Kontroversy session — early November, say — it'd still precede the release of Rubber Soul.

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

So these new deluxe remasters
    are loud and compressed ? :confused:

13. Matthew B.

I'm in rough agreement with Andreas on Kinda Kinks. The Deluxe Edition sounds like the MFSL after additional peak limiting; I'd rank the masterings MFSL > Deluxe > PRT. All three of these are good, and not terribly dissimilar. Given the price and the bonus tracks, the Deluxe Edition is probably the best purchase.

I put up some links in the previous thread to comparison samples for Kinks, Kinda Kinks, and The Kink Kontroversy.

14. Matthew B.

Loud, yes. There's been some peak-limiting, but I don't see much evidence of other compression.

15. Mike D'Aversa

So, am I the only one who finds "If I Needed Someone" and "I'll Remember" to be freakishly similar, considering that neither was (apparently) influenced by the other (and both were likely written and recorded within weeks of each other)?

Additional info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Needed_Someone

The song was heavily influenced by the music of The Byrds. In a 2004 radio interview with the BBC in London, Roger McGuinn confirmed that Harrison had sent a tape recording of the song to him in Los Angeles before it was released on record. Harrison did this to show McGuinn that the guitar riff he had used in "If I Needed Someone" was based on McGuinn's own riff in "The Bells of Rhymney." The song's introduction and coda are also very similar to those of the Byrds' song.

The strangest part in all of this, IMO, is that Ray decided to leave "I'll Remember" as the closing number on FTF. Lots of artists, over the years, have tended to "scrap/bury" songs that sounded anything remotely like another "prominent" song. Especially a prolific writer, like Ray was by 1966. He must have really liked this song to keep it on there, even though it has traditionally been viewed one of the least popular/regarded songs on FTF (an odd ending to a famous album, and the ultimate anti-climax/bummer of a song, coming after the "un-toppable" "Sunny Afternoon").

Has this topic been discussed to death previously, or is no one else even half as fascinated by this as I?

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

No kidding! Look at all those bonus tracks. Do you like the Kinks or NOT! lol

17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I don't find them terribly similar either, and I have to say, as a huge Beatles and George fan, I might actually prefer "I'll Remember"! It seems that whatever faint resemblance there might be is compounded by the fact that George's song was released almost immediately, and Ray's didn't come out until 1966.

I actually think it works quite well as a downbeat album ender -- a pretty daring move, imo. I'm admittedly very new to the Kinks -- only getting into them within the last 5 years or so -- but I guess one of the benefits of being a late-comer is that I've formed all my opinions completely unaffected by knowing what most fans consider the "good" and "bad" songs. No preconceptions. I've never even considered that "I'll Remember" might be "weak" (or derivative of another song, let alone "If I Needed Someone") until you mentioned it.

I'm intrigued, but not quite fascinated... ;)

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Let me put it this way: Since you brought it up, I get what you're saying; if you hadn't mentioned it, though, it would never have occurred to me. And I'm very familiar with both songs and albums.

Well, I'm not.

19. xios

xios Senior Member

I'm still surprised that the Traveling Wilburys used the opening verse of "Buttons and Bows" in their song "Dirty World" and didn't get sued.

20. Matthew B.

The songs seem to use the same scale as their melodic springboard, but it's a fairly obvious scale. I can believe in the coincidence. Interesting similarity, though, and I hadn't noticed it till you pointed it out.

Well, it might have been a rushed decision — for all I know, he might have originally intended to finish with "End of the Season." And yet I can see how "I'll Remember" would appeal to Ray. Thematically, it's the same song as "Days." "Days" is more lyrically sophisticated, sure, and it's the better song, but that comes at the expense of the naïve, garagey feel that gives "I'll Remember" a raucous charm of its own. It's about looking back in fondness on something you know is gone forever, and the song itself is a throwback to an earlier album and a sound they'd abandoned. It seems fitting to use the album's most clearly retrospective number as the closer.

21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Whoa! Now that would have been the perfect ending IMO.

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

You don't consider the results of the TT Dynamic Range Meter to be an indication?
    Kink Kontrovery measures DR 12 on the PRT versus DR 8 on the Deluxe.

23. Matthew B.

Peak limiting alone would do that, though, wouldn't it? Of course that's a form of compression, but the quiet parts of the songs still seem quiet on the Deluxe Editions relative to the rest of the track, unlike the more extreme compression you get on some of the Reprise masterings, for instance.

24. ChrisdeB

ChrisdeB Forum Resident

More Kinks to Kronikle in Second Wave of U.K. Deluxe Reissues

with one comment

This year’s deluxe reissues of The Kinks’ first three LPs were among the more surprising and better-received catalogue projects in 2011. And the second wave of deluxe editions is on its way from Universal U.K.!

Expansions of the band’s Face to Face (1966), Something Else by The Kinks (1967) and Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) (1969) are due out June 20 with the usual features (mono and stereo mixes, non-LP singles, BBC sessions and other rare and unreleased goodies). Of course, the influential The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society (1968) was given the triple-disc treatment by Sanctuary U.K. in 2004, but one wonders whether any others might be in the planning.

Initial reports mentioned an expansion of Muswell Hillbillies (1971), the band’s first LP for RCA after departing Pye, but did not mention the beloved Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneyground, Part One (1970). However, thanks to the great reporting of Mike Segretto at Psychobabble, we know that reissue producer Andrew Sandoval will likely be producing a reissue of Lola pending approval from Ray Davies.

In the meantime, pre-order links and track lists reside beyond the jump!

The Kinks, Face to Face: Deluxe Edition (Sanctuary/UMC (U.K.), 2011)

Disc 1: Mono LP and extras
    1.Party Line
    2.Rosie Won’t You Please Come Home
    3.Dandy
    4.Too Much on My Mind
    5.Session Man
    6.Rainy Day in June
    7.A House in the Country
    8.Holiday in Waikiki
    9.Most Exclusive Residence for Sale
    10.Fancy
    11.Little Miss Queen of Darkness
    12.You’re Looking Fine
    13.Sunny Afternoon
    14.I’ll Remember
    15.Dead End Street
    16.Big Black Smoke
    17.This is Where I Belong
    18.She’s Got Everything
    19.Little Miss Queen of Darkness (Alternate Take)
    20.Dead End Street (Alternate Take)

Disc 2: Stereo LP and extras
    1.Party Line
    2.Rosie Won’t You Please Come Home
    3.Dandy
    4.Too Much on My Mind
    5.Session Man
    6.Rainy Day in June
    7.A House in the Country
    8.Holiday in Waikiki
    9.Most Exclusive Residence for Sale
    10.Fancy
    11.Little Miss Queen of Darkness
    12.You’re Looking Fine
    13.Sunny Afternoon
    14.I’ll Remember
    15.This is Where I Belong
    16.Big Black Smoke
    17.She’s Got Everything

Disc 1, Tracks 1-14 from Pye LP NPL 18149 (U.K.), 1966
    Disc 1, Tracks 15-16 from Pye single 7N-17222 (U.K.), 1966
    Disc 1, Track 17 from Pye single 7N-17314 (U.K.), 1967
    Disc 1, Track 18 from Pye single 7N-17573 (U.K.), 1968
    Disc 1, Track 20 from Picture Book box set – Sanctuary/Universal 5313049 (U.K.), 2008
    Disc 2, Tracks 1-14 from Pye LP NSPL 18149 (U.K.), 1966
    Disc 2, Tracks 16 and 19 from Sunny Afternoon - Marble Arch MALS 716 (U.K.), 1967
    Disc 2, Tracks 15 and 17 from The Kink Kronikles - Reprise 2XS-6454 (U.S.), 1972
    All other tracks possibly previously unreleased

The Kinks, Something Else by The Kinks: Deluxe Edition (Sanctuary/UMC (U.K.), 2011)

Disc 1: Stereo LP and extras
    1.David Watts
    2.Death of a Clown
    3.Two Sisters
    4.No Return
    5.Harry Rag
    6.Tin Soldier Man
    7.Situation Vacant
    8.Love Me Till the Sun Shines
    9.Lazy Old Sun
    10.Afternoon Tea
    11.Funny Face
    12.End of the Season
    13.Waterloo Sunset
    14.Susannah’s Still Alive
    15.Autumn Almanac
    16.Sand on My Shoes
    17.Afternoon Tea (Alternate Version)
    18.Mr. Pleasant (Alternate Version)
    19.Lazy Old Sun (Alternate Vocal Version)
    20.Funny Face (Alternate Stereo Version)
    21.Afternoon Tea (German Stereo Mix)
    22.Tin Soldier Man (Alternate Backing Track)

Disc 2: Mono LP and extras
    1.David Watts
    2.Death of a Clown
    3.Two Sisters
    4.No Return
    5.Harry Rag
    6.Tin Soldier Man
    7.Situation Vacant
    8.Love Me Till the Sun Shines
    9.Lazy Old Sun
    10.Afternoon Tea
    11.Funny Face
    12.End of the Season
    13.Waterloo Sunset
    14.Act Nice and Gentle
    15.Mr. Pleasant
    16.Susannah’s Still Alive
    17.Autumn Almanac
    18.Harry Rag (Alternate)
    19.David Watts (Alternate)
    20.Afternoon Tea (Canadian Mono Mix)
    21.Sunny Afternoon (BBC Session)
    22.Autumn Almanac (BBC Session)
    23.Mr Pleasant (BBC Session)
    24.Susannah’s Still Alive (BBC Session)
    25.David Watts (BBC Session)
    26.Love Me Till the Sun Shines (BBC Session)
    27.Death of a Clown (BBC Session)
    28.Good Luck Charm (BBC Session)
    29.Harry Rag (BBC Session)
    30.Little Woman (Backing Track)

Disc 1, Tracks 1-13 released as Pye LP NSPL 18193 (U.K.), 1967
    Disc 1, Tracks 14-15 from The Kink Kronikles - Reprise 2XS-6454 (U.S.), 1972
    Disc 1, Track 19 from U.K. reissue of Something Else - Essential/Castle Communications ESM CD 480 (U.K.), 1998
    Disc 1, Track 21 from German edition of original LP – Pye/Hitton HTSLP 340044 (DE), 1967
    Disc 2, Tracks 1-13 released as Pye LP NPL 18193 (U.K.), 1967
    Disc 2, Track 14 from Pye single 7N-17321 (U.K.), 1967
    Disc 2, Track 15 from Pye single 7N-17314 (U.K.), 1967
    Disc 2, Track 16 from Pye single 7N-17429 (U.K.), 1967
    Disc 2, Track 17 from Pye single 7N-17400 (U.K.), 1967
    Disc 2, Track 20 from Pye single 828 (CA), 1967
    Disc 2, Tracks 26-29 from The BBC Sessions 1964-1977 - Sanctuary SANDD10 (U.K.), 2001
    Disc 2, Track 30 from U.K. reissue of Face to Face - Essential/Castle Communications ESM CD 479 (U.K.), 1998

The Kinks, Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire): Deluxe Edition (Sanctuary/UMC (U.K.), 2011)

Disc 1: Stereo LP and extras
    1.Victoria
    2.Yes Sir, No Sir
    3.Some Mother’s Son
    4.Drivin’
    5.Brainwashed
    6.Australia
    7.Shangri-La
    8.Mr Churchill Says
    9.She’s Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina
    10.Young and Innocent Days
    11.Nothing to Say
    12.Arthur
    13.Plastic Man
    14.This Man He Weeps Tonight
    15.Drivin’ (Alternate Mix)
    16.Mindless Child of Motherhood
    17.Hold My Hand
    18.Lincoln County
    19.Mr Shoemaker’s Daughter
    20.Mr Reporter
    21.Shangri-La (Backing Track)

Disc 2: Mono LP and extras

1.Victoria
    2.Yes Sir, No Sir
    3.Some Mother’s Son
    4.Drivin’
    5.Brainwashed
    6.Australia
    7.Shangri-La
    8.Mr Churchill Says
    9.She’s Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina
    10.Young and Innocent Days
    11.Nothing to Say
    12.Arthur
    13.Plastic Man
    14.This Man He Weeps Tonight
    15.Mindless Child of Motherhood
    16.Creeping Jean
    17.Lincoln County

Disc 1, Tracks 1-12 released as Pye LP NSPL 18317 (U.K.), 1969
    Disc 1, Track 13 from Star Parade - SR International 79343 (NE), 1969
    Disc 1, Track 14 from The Great Lost Kinks Album - Reprise MS-2127 (U.S.), 1973
    Disc 1, Tracks 16 and 19 from U.K. reissue of Face to Face - Essential/Castle Communications ESM CD 511 (U.K.), 1998
    Disc 1, Track 17 and Disc 2, Track 16 from Pye single 7N-17678 (U.K.), 1969
    Disc 1, Track 20 from U.K. reissue of Face to Face - Essential/Castle Communications ESM CD 479 (U.K.), 1998
    Disc 2, Tracks 1-12 released as Pye LP NPL 18317 (U.K.), 1969
    Disc 2, Track 13 from Pye single 7N-17724 (U.K.), 1969
    Disc 2, Track 14 from Pye single 7N-17812 (U.K.), 1969
    Disc 2, Track 15 from Pye single 7N-17776 (U.K.), 1969
    Disc 2, Track 17 from Pye single 7N-17514 (U.K.), 1969

Chris de B

25. ChrisdeB

ChrisdeB Forum Resident

More Kinks to Kronikle in Second Wave of U.K. Deluxe Reissues

I hope this is useful!!

Chris de B