King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by konoyaro, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

wait, is there going to be a DVD-A?

(just kidding, hehe)

blu-ray @ 7.1/24/192 :hide:

;)

2. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

There were some studies here of the supposed 'HDCD' on the 30ths. Apparently there is reason to believe that only Wake, Lizard and Islands actually had any peak extension.

This thread has some info:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=168427

Given how compressed the 30ths of the Wetton-era material were (unlike the excellent work on the 1st 4 albums), it would have been nice to have a fresh stereo version of Red on this new release. Of course, unlike the original EG CD versions of Larks and S&BB (which were horrible, IMO), the original EG CD of Red (circa 1987) was astonishing to my ears, so I'll happily refer to that for my preferred digital version of Red in stereo.

3. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I suppose the main attraction here is the 5.1, high-rez & bonus tracks anyway.
    I am a CRIM-HEAD with almost everything KC ever released and related solo items.
    I plan on getting a DVD-A capable player very soon for these.
    Until then, it rather sucks hearing breaks between tracks - on 'Court' especially.
    Gaps between tracks & monster prog albums don't mix.

4. grebmops

grebmops New Member

That's new to me Jeff. What's your favorite mastering of Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black? I'm curious.

5. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I should listen to it again, but I can't say I was so happy about EG's Red... while the 30th was kind of harsh.

I think it is the drums. Better in the 30th in a big way. Reminded me of the difference between the drums of the Rhino's Relayer and the original digital mastering.

6. Jeff Carney

On these particular titles, vinyl is the only way to fly, IMO. I wish I could recommend a digital version, but it's difficult to do that.

For example, perhaps the least "offensive" digital version of Larks' I've heard on CD is the Japanese black triangle. Unlike some of the other BTs, which merely use the EG masterings, this one is a different mastering and less bright (but still far too bright for me) than the EG that was issued by Jem in the US and Virgin in the UK. The so-called "Defintive Edition" had added reverb (no thanks) and the 30th was hit pretty hard with compression. I like the tonality on the 30th, but the lack of punch due to the limiting is frustrating.

Ymmv.

7. Jeff Carney

The original EG of Red is held in high regard from many in these parts and for good reason, IMO. I also think that the 'Definitive Edition' remastering of Red was one of the better ones. I think both of these eat the 30th for breakfast.

8. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Maybe there is hope for the hi-rez remastering of the 30th.
    But I will listen to the EG again.
    It is, after all, my favorite KC.

9. Jeff Carney

Well, we now have Red out in 5.1, and that is exciting news. My comments were made with exclusive respect to the original stereo mix. Given that Mr. Wilkes informs us that for the stereo mastering, the 30th has been resurrected for this release, I suspect that the original EG CD will continue to be my "go to" version when I have the itch to spin the original mix.

However, I still await my new copy of Red with great anticipation; for surround sound fun and the video.

10. NicS

NicS Forum Resident

I received my copy of Red yesterday, I've listened on my surround system and I can say this honestly; Wilson and Fripp did an incredible job. The space, the dynamics, are all so much more pronounced. It's wonderful, every song shines. All of the instruments buried in the old mix come out so clearly now. I can't wait to hear In the Court now. if it's this good I'll be buying the whole catalog again.

11. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

That's the sort of review I want to read. :righton:

12. G E

G E Senior Member

Last night I played the Genesis "Lamb Lies Down" SACD Japanese Import immediately followed by RED 5.1 dvd-a. "Sweet-sounding" is probably not the way I would typically describe the sonic signature of RED, but after playing the entirety of Lamb SACD, it did indeed sound sweet.

I was hoping the Japanese version would be a tad less shrill than the UK import (it replaces a badly damaged disc 1 of my original set) but it sounds the same, I may do further checking on this.

A question for those involved in the production of RED, why was dvd-a chosen over SACD? Was it easier and less expensive to include the video portions of content? Just curious.

I am looking forward to the rest of the catalog. Lizard and Court are on order with Burning Shed. To have KC's back catalog re-done in hi-rez surround ---AND DONE WELL --- is beyond my wildest hopes and dreams.

ge

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

after purchasing the Beatles box I can only go with the 2 CD versions :shake:

14. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I've been listening to Court the past two days, and the same holds true. I'm moving things around the house, so I have no 5.1 capability right now, but the stereo version, especially I Talk To The Wind, are amazingly clear and dynamic. The real gems are the extras, especially the duo version of ITTTW and a trio version of 20th CSM. The extra air around the arrangements make details stand out that I've never heard. Couldn't be happier. Waiting for Lizard, and bring on Lark's Tongue!!

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I predict Lizard in 5.1 will be phantasmagorically amazing!

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is the same master on the discs, it should be exactly the same sound. (Remember they're SACDs, not CDs: somebody has yet to say they hear differences in data-identical SACDs pressings... Maybe it won't be long... :rolleyes:)

I was not involved in the production of course, but a SACD can't have video content. And usually the SACD format is chosen when the files went in a DSD stage, which wasn't the case here; I think everything from the transfer to the mixing to the mastering was done in PCM. (of course there are exceptions)

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Attached Files:

18. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

looks fantastic!
    thanks

19. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Beautiful Lizard package. I have ITCOTCK, Lizard and Red CD/DVD-A packages on order from Burning Shed. ITCOTCK shipped 8 days ago, and still did not show up in the mail today :( I guess I'll spin the 30th anniversary, or my vinyl Young Person's Guide for now.

20. trevaaar

trevaaar Forum Resident

Is that from the stereo or the 5.1?

If anyone's got ITCOTCK can you check both the new and original stereo mixes on that?

21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

All of Steve's multichannel releases have been on DVD-A. :)

22. neil wilkes

neil wilkes Active Member

DVD-A/V - not straight DVD-A - was used because it is the only true universal format for surround sound & stereo and video that will play in every installed DVD player in one form or another.
    Easier? No. Better? IMHO, definitely

23. neil wilkes

neil wilkes Active Member

You'd better believe it!!
    The surround mix is a revelation, and the new stereo mix is also - to my ears - a definite improvement. To quote Robert's words from the liner notes:
    SO far, from the 3 titles completed, Lizard is my favourite by a fair margin.

24. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

I'm not accustomed to interpreting "spectrals" (which I assume just show frequency distribution over time?) -- so what issues might that be?

Being a man of modest means, I've only pre-ordered Lizard so far. It's actually the Crim album I love the most (which I guess is pretty unusual... hey ho :cool: ...), and I'm really curious about that new stereo mix!

And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that these releases also have me considering multichannel DVD-A capability... (It's only money, but you gotta have 'em to spend 'em...)

:cheers:

25. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

you can ease into it like I did all those years ago.. got a reasonably cheap theater in a box set and slowly replaced bits an pieces. You only need DTS to enjoy the surround mix anyway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.