King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by konoyaro, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

My reading of Neil's quote is that ITCOTCK uses the OME mastering.

2. hatfield

hatfield Forum Resident

It sounds to me as if he's saying that's exactly what they did use.

The latest stereo mastering for Red is the 30th Anniversary Edition
    The latest stereo mastering for In The Court is the HDCD 30th Anniv. Edition.

3. Figure

Figure New Member

As no "remix" word is used, I assume that we will see no new stereo mix of In the Court? Well, 5.1 is great, but, after all those words of finding original multitracks, I can't believe that such a crew has let this chance pass by. (

4. hatfield

hatfield Forum Resident

This is also in his post regarding In The Court. Look up a few posts and see.

5. grebmops

grebmops New Member

No, that's not it. I think he's saying we have two mixes now: 1) The 2009 mix by Fripp and Wilson (I'm listening to it right now). 2) the OME.

6. hatfield

hatfield Forum Resident

Poster bhazen asked the following question:

Neil posted the following:

What else needs to be said?

7. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Exactly. This is from the Burning Shed page:

Though I have to admit to being confused as to what they mean by both 2004 mix AND original 1969 vinyl mix. I think that may be a mistake - I'm guessing it's the 2004 remaster of the original mix.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

In addition to the 2004 remaster, they have included a needle drop of the original UK vinyl.

9. Figure

Figure New Member

Ah, sorry, I was too fast, thanks.

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Tom -the new In The Court of The Crimson King is available in three formats: double cd, cd/dvda and 5cd/1dvda deluxe box set.
    You listed the tracks for the 2CD set.
    Tracks
    Double CD version:

CD/DVDA version:

5CD/1DVDA Deluxe Box Set version:

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

What are the next releases?

12. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Only the ITCOTCK single, which features the title tracks split in two halves - A and B side.

My contribution to the SQ debate: as much as I'm enjoying both editions of the album on the 2-CD set (the 2009 remix and the 2004 remaster), what REALLY floats my boat here is the Morgan Studios instrumental version of 21CSM (presumably recorded with Tony Clarke, before the band decamped to Wessex Studios, to cut the whole album without him) - there's a huge difference in Michael Giles' drum sound, which sounds much more spacious and natural.

Granted, the album wouldn't be the album it is, without the decision the band made to cut it without a producer but, sonically, that version of 21CSM is a infuriating tease of what it could have sounded like.

13. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I don't have the set yet, but according to the liner notes as regards disc 3, it would appear this is incorrect:

"De-clicked vinyl transfer of the original stereo first Island Records issued pink label UK pressing run. Sourced from two vinyl LPs - one of which is Robert Fripp's personal archive copy. "

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Re: post #637 - wow. If this isn't the last word on those five songs, I don't know what would be.

15. hatfield

hatfield Forum Resident

No problem! After the last few posts here I was starting to think maybe I've got the whole thing wrong.

16. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Ah! I think we've been talking at cross-purposes - I was referring to D2 of the 2-CD set, whereas you're talking about d3 of the 5-disc set.

17. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Nice! I'll have to wait for my copy as it is on my Christmas wish list, but it sounds like I'm going to enjoy it.

18. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but honestly I couldn't compare the group to anyone else I've heard. And depending on the album, you can get an entirely different sound altogether.

As for what albums to start with, I think the first releases in this series are the best - In the Court of the Crimson King is an absolute classic, and Red is also killer. ITCOTCK might be best described as a more angry-sounding Moody Blues with a lot more experimentation. Red is an often heavy, loud proggy album with some jazz and classical overtones.

You can get a decent enough idea going to Amazon.com and checking out the brief clips you can play from each track. You'll need the whole albums to suck you in, but this should give you an idea if this is even close to your cup of tea. I tend to think that anyone who can appreciate prog or fusion will find at least one KC album to love.

19. thuleatan

thuleatan Forum Resident

This is good to hear - thanks. I know for a fact that my system has no problems with A, B, or C, so I'll definitely be picking up Red now. The integrity of the DTS version was the dealbreaker for me because it's the only surround option I'd be able to enjoy with my current gear.

20. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I am getting gaps between tracks on the 'Red' & 'In the Court' 5.1 DTS tracks, is anyone else having this problem? I am using a Sony DVD/SACD player, I do not have a DVD-A deck.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

See if you can play them on a standard CD player with digital out to 5.1 amp.

22. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

I believe you're thinking of a DTS-CD, which can be played this way.

23. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I am talking about the DVD-A, I am sending to my amp via optical cable, my DVD deck & receiver both decode DTS. I don't have this problem with Talking Heads, Porcupine Tree or No-Man DVD-A's.

24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Is this disc HDCD encoded?

25. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

No HDCD this time...
    hold on to your 30th editions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.