King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by konoyaro, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Neil . . . do you know of any professional reviews of this player? I couldn't find any after a quick search on google (by "unit name" + "review"), but I may have overlooked some.

If you have any first hand experience, that would be appreciated and valued as well. Here is a link to an earlier thread on the unit:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=162225&highlight=hhb+udp

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I can finally post a bit about "In the Court of the Crimson King". I can tell you that in no way is the 5.1 compressed or "maximized". It sounds incredible, and it's hard to believe that it's 40 years old. The surround field was created with great care, and does not sound "gimmicky" at all. The dream sequence from "Moonchild" is a surround sound demo track, with sounds eminating from all around the listening area. The power tracks, "21st Century.." and the title track have very powerful surround mixes. All 5 speakers are used to their full potential, with the lead vocals in the center, and the four corners carrying discrete sounds creating a very wide sound field.

To be honest, I have not listened to the DTS or Stereo tracks. Sorry. I've been having too much fun in the car and at home listening to the HiRez MLP. The extras are icing on the cake, especially for long time fans, but for me, I've been fixated on the main program.

If you are the least bit interested in the KC reissues, I would suggest that this one be your starting point, even if you've never heard any KC. This one is Killer!!! :D

3. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

to JonUrban: I am pleased to read this. Can't wait till Lizard is out. I ordered all three from Amazon.co.uk a month ago.

4. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The DVD-A is NTSC.

5. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you got an advance copy as I thought this wasn't released yet?

From what you've said and what I've heard of the new Red I'm really looking forward to all these reissues, especially ITCOTCK.

6. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

This is what I want to know! I'm glad to hear that the surround mixes are well mastered and tastefully done; but the stereo tracks are 24/96 while the surround tracks are 24/48, so this to me is the most important part of this release.

7. lazarus

lazarus Forum Resident

I compared the stereo 24/96 tracks to my UK pressed pink rim vinyl copy and to my surprise the dvd-audio won the contest .To my ears none of them are top audiophile quality (maybe some will disagree). They both sound a bit flat (one-dimensional) but I think that the DVD-audio are a bit better. Sorry, I can´t explain any better.

8. Amazon.ca has it listed for $26.99 (not in stock yet). They also have 16 other versions of "Court" listed and the description is vague enough that I'm not pre-ordering until I'm sure it's the DVD-A version. Which will happen when it's actually released on Oct. 20, I'm guessing.

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Jon is actually mentioned in the liner notes of RED as one of the DVD QC testers. I assume he is the same for ITCOTCK.

10. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting to note that the 40th anniversary editions won't come with HDCD encoding on the redbook CDs. For some, this might give at least some merit to 30th anniversary editions as redbook releases.

11. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Wow this is a lot different than I expected. I'll give a more thorough feedback later but so far i'm too bewildered to describe it. Would you guys like a sample of the surround?

12. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Preordered from Burning Shed. I'm in the US. Still no Red.

13. lazarus

lazarus Forum Resident

The 30 minutes video from French TV is great!:thumbsup:

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

That really freaked me out! Never expected that. A few of us over at QQ were selected to "beta test" the DVD-A portion of the discs, looking for errors with the menu structure, playability on multiple players, etc. Part of the deal was a non-disclosure agreement. That's why I could post that YES, these would be DVD-A's, but I could not say how I knew or give you any details of the recordings. I've got 'Lizard' now, and I'll just say "You'll like it"! :D

I still am really enjoying the ITCOTCK, especially since it's new music to me!

15. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

Isn't it amazing how the King Crimson remasters are doing so much right, whilst other bigger selling remasters are stuffing up.

For example, the Live Genesis box has some glitches on some pressings. You would think that there would be some basic quality control, but no, it is just product - roll it out.

Yet the King Crimson are sent to people, such as Jon, to do some basic quality control.

Robert Fripp does not only (justifiably) rant and rave about the sins of the big business music industry. He is showing them how it should be done!

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Don't speak too soon, Fripp and DGM have had their share of f-ups for sure.

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I pre-ordered this from amazon, as he description clearly states DVD-A
    In the Court of the Crimson King (Deluxe)

However, this listing for Red does not indicate DVD-A:
    Red.
    The description states DTS, not DVD-A, but I though twhen I looked last week I saw a Red listed with DVD-A. I can't locate that today.

Any help?

18. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Kind of infuriating, isn't it?

I just want to see what the Court box looks like! Every other boxset I see released has at least a picture or two out there well in advance and there's NOTHING for ItCotKC, or for Red or Lizard.

I grab a couple shots of Red tonight if no one else has.

19. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

I bought the new cd/dvd-a editions of Red and ITCOTCK today in my local UK independent record store. The digipacks appear to be welded into the slip cases. Anyone got any tips how to get them out without damaging the packaging???

20. One unbelievable photo, for sure!!!!!

Attached Files:

21. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Yes. One of the only Cd that was un-playable by my CD player was the 2-Cd edition of Exposure. I had to rip it in EAC (quality: 70% !) and burn it.

Still a great product!

22. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

doesn't mean anything but sort of amazing they are all still alive!! And looking so well!

Fantastic!

23. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I saw John Wetton recently at his Asia appearance here on LI and he looked well. Glad to see him with the guys.

24. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I posted shots of the package, the back and the discs over at QQ a few days ago. Here's the link:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11945

25. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

SW looks more like a starstruck fan here than the mixing engineer

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.