King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Oops: Frame by Frame is the 2nd track and definitely is live along with Indiscipline. Yes: Elephant Talk. :righton:

2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

So, out of curiousity, I looked at the spectrum analysis using audacity, for Elepahant Talk 96/24.

Flat at about 24 Khz. I guess this is consistent with most of the other Crimson DVD-A's? But why?

(They sound great in any case)

Attached Files:

• et.jpg
      et.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My guess is that Steven works in 48kHz, and the files are then upsampled X2 for the mastering, and kept at that resolution. That way the original sound up to 24kHz is preserved from digital artefacts.

I sometimes double the sampling rate as well when I receive mixes in a relatively "low" resolution (44,1kHz, 48kHz...). It results in a very slightly cleaner job. Bob Katz talks about that in his book "Mastering Audio, the Art and the Science".

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I don't understand why "Easy Money" is listed as "DTS only" when in fact there is an MLP track as well... I do not have a DVD-A player and I usually just rip the DVD-As to FLAC files on a PC so I don't know if the track is playable via the DVD-A menu but it's there.

5. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I would never order from DGM directly again. Ever. Still no package, no way to cancel without returning the package to sender . . the package which I don't have . . no shipping date except the false one on the website, and the only contact I've been able to find (besides a very helpful Sid from the forums) appears as confused as I am. :realmad::realmad::realmad:

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:shake: I'm sorry to hear it. I'm having a bad flashback to last year. Next time, try Burning Shed or maybe Amazon.uk. I hope it shows up soon.

7. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Sorry to hear about your problems. I think there is enough evidence in this forum that the word "Discipline" in DGM is high ironic. It's also ironic that Robert Fripp keeps writing his rants in his diary on how the record companies shortchanged him for 40 years (which doesn't really seem the case looking at his house) but he does exactly the same to his own customers.

8. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Thanks, guys. Always went with Burning Shed, don't know what came over me this time. Not that important in the big picture, but . . .

9. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Max, I feel doubly bad for you as mine just arrived about an hour ago from Amazon UK. Sorry to hear about your troubles...

10. I agree with you. In the last two years, I got every package late (even later than would have been had from the UK with Burning Shed). To make matters worse, I've not ever (in more than 10 orders) gotten a CD from DGM in Los Angeles that didn't arrive with some part of the packaging broken. In the case of the ITCOTCK digipak, this was a major problem as the plastic case is not replaceable.

11. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I sent a PM to you concerning DGM's mailout maxnix !

12. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

my Discipline shipped yesterday!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.