King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

2. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Love to see pics of the big set!

3. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Listening to the 24/48 stereo mix of "Epitaph" right now. I am completely blown away! This song absolutely thunders now. This album has really benefited from having the pre-bounce multi-tracks.

I am officially 100% sold on getting all of the KC 40th reissues now. I can't wait for "In the Wake of Poseidon" and this has now got me interested in exploring "Lizard" and "Islands" (when it's released) both of which I've never owned copies of in my 20 or so years or 'Crimson-ing'

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Lizard isn't coming out until Jan. 12 now, according to wherehouse.com

5. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Are you talking about something other than the Lizard CD/DVD-A reissue set? I received Red and Lizard from burningshed.com in early November. The Court is also available as a CD/DVD-A set, but is also available as a more elaborate 5 CD/DVD-A box set.

Burning Shed King Crimson reissues

6. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Who is having trouble with the pause between the tracks on Lizard? it is out and a friend of mine has it but there is some sort of pause between two of the tracks. I am wondering if that the cause of the delay here in the U.S.

Red sounds amazing though not my favorite KC album. Court is a TRUE revelation both in surround and stereo. Perhaps the final last gasp in hi rez rock releases but done the way they should be done. too bad the Genesis stuff wasn't this good.

7. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Simon - You need to catch up on the previous thread. I think it has been determined that this is happening to people that send a digital signal to their receiver/processor. Each track is re-determining the digital format and switching to it between tracks. If you use the analog outputs on your player, you shouldn't have those pauses.

8. G E

G E Senior Member

Not so. I have Lizard and my Pioneer Elite 79 avi stops playing after track 3 and does not proceed to track 4 (Lady of the Dancing Water). This is for the multichannel hi-res program (dvd-a). Sound out via analog jacks, no digital connection. The gaps between songs is an issue with some players with the DTS stream sent digitally.

And in my case it is not a pause, it is a hard stop. I can get to track 4 by pressing the track advance key on my remote at the very end of Track 3 - there are a few seconds of silence at the end so I do not miss anything except automation. If it hangs I have to open the tray, close it again and select track 4 from the menu. Then the rest of the disc plays fine.
    Ths player has played every other SACD and dvd-a disc I own without issue. I must have a few hundred of 'em now.

If anyone is still on the fence about whether or not to get Lizzard, do not hesitate - Outstanding use of surround field, very interesting music and the sound quality is the best of the three released so far. Burningshed.com has them and they are a consciencious outfit - no issues whatsover in my 5 or 6 transactions with them. I might even buy a their T-shirt!

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Here you go- just arrived.

Attached Files:

10. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

What I want to know is:

Who is that foxy blonde chick in that picture above? (Far left in the pic.)

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

One thing's for sure -- they couldn't have met her at a King Crimson concert.

12. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

That's odd, my Pioneer Elite DV59AVi plays it just fine.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thank you!

14. Sticks

Sticks Forum Resident

Thanks for the picture Bill. This is the way a classic album should be treated. The price is good as well. All up it is the equivanent to the cost of 4 new releases so it's a bargain in my opinion.

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Is that a repeatable error, every time?

This really won't resolve anything for you, but my DV45a – very infrequently – will go through a similar behavior on a DVD-A. But it's not repeatable or predictable. Almost as though every once in a great while it just refuses to play. Re-load solves it, as it does for you.

From that, I'm guessing it's a player issue and not the disc. Shouldn't be happening on their top-shelf model, obviously.

Do you have another player to access for a test?

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

It sounds absolutely incredible.

17. NicS

NicS Forum Resident

I might as well chime in here now, I have a DV45a also and I just finished listening to Lizard five minutes ago. No stops,no glitches all is well. I do want to report that after repeated listenings of all three releases Lizard by far has the best SQ IMO !!!

It sounds like Steve W. really made this one a labor of love. Just listen to the last snippet of Big Top and follow it around your room...A very underated album.

18. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

Could it be one of the girlfriends of McDonald or Giles that later appeared with them on the cover of the album they released after quiting King Crimson?

19. Sticks

Sticks Forum Resident

Bill, My Box plus the 2 other versions of the album plus Red and Lizard all arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. It will be a feast that's for sure. In the package I've also got the McDonald & Giles album (only ever had it on vinyl) and the two Hatfield And The North albums. I'll be in prog rock heaven for a month.

How many pages in that 12" book that comes with the box? Is it up to the standard of the rest of the packaging which does look sensational in that photo?

20. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Thank you for posting that picture, Bill :thumbsup:

I can't wait for my copy to show up!

21. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Oh man I wished I had just bought this version instead of the 2 disc!

22. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

oops double post! sorry!

23. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I believe that's Judy Dyble, a (brief) member of KC in its early days. IIRC, she can be heard singing on an early demo version of "I Talk To The Wind" that first appeared on the "Young Person's Guide To King Crimson" album.

24. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Holy wow! :righton:

25. Toka

Toka Active Member

Just got mine today...holy wow is right! :eek: :eek:

Top drawer package by any measure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.