Kate Bush Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaximilianRG, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. They do not. If in North America you purchased the box set when it was first released, you probably got a U.K. version. Later on EMI Canada and I think Capitol U.S. began putting their own CD pressings in the box. My friend purchased a copy a year or so after the original release, found it had the U.S. jacket for the first album and other EMI-Manhatten CD pressings. He was not amused and immediately dumped the set at a used shop.

There are acutally 6 different versions of Kate Bush's first LP cover.

1. UK (big eyeball and Kate on a kite)
    2. US (Country & Western, Kate in a wooden box wearing red socks)
    3. Canada (Vogue picture, Kate holding her head with her hands, was
    also used for 1st US pressing)
    4. Japan (pink leotard picture)
    5. Yugoslavia (white dress picture)
    6. Uruguay (Kate's head only, technically a very low-quality picture)

I have the first 4. U.K. Canada and U.S were bought back in the day. I acquired a Japan pressing in around 1987 w/out an OBI strip.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

3. doubleknotspy

doubleknotspy Forum Resident

And they included the original cover on the first page of the booklet. It's odd they cropped the cover for the cd set since the original cover was previously available on the Japanese LP.

4. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would the UPC on the UK box be different from other releases? If so, can someone here give me the UPC for the UK version?

5. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

This is the original cover for me (I'm from Germany):

Attached Files:

6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Talking of This woman's work, I saw the cassette version of it in a copy of Record collector a few years ago, and I was amazed to see they used the same budget priced artwork of the regular (for late 80s) releases.

In the CD box, were the main cds just stock copies as well?

[​IMG]

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Mine were.

8. My fave is the Japanese cover - I like the "artiness" of the original UK, but it seems a bit goofy for an album called The Kick Inside.

Then again, I am kind of partial to this version, which dosen't really require a cover:

[​IMG]

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

yeah, ii have the Yogoslavian issue...found it used at a Yugosavian street vendor several years ago...I was surprised there was yet ANOTHER version of the cover!

10. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Butch, the next time you and I are out picking up chicks, and we walk into a bar and see two girls sitting there, one of whom is Kate Bush with her hands on her head, I'll do you a big favour and let you have the other one. ;)

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The "kite" cover is the best.....looks like a Japanese painting!

Evan

12. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

:laugh:

13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Yes ! the best cover
    IMO , have a cd ,
    but not vinyl...sadly .

14. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

A couple of quick questions:

Is their any difference in the mastering between the UK and the original Japanese "This Woman's Work" boxed set?

Has the UK release been reissued - I mean if I see one on Ebay will it have the mastering found on the original UK discs?

Which box set sounds best ;-)

Cheers

David

15. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

16. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

In addition to this question, are the vinyl releases of this box all the same or are there UK and JPN releases..?

17. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

I guess its a bad day to ask a question about Kate Bush :)

Maybe someone will give us their opinion!

18. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

A bad day to ask about anything, what with the DNS problems. But I can help with the This Woman's Work question. Someone commented a few months ago that the Japanese box used the same mastering for The Kick Inside as the original Japanese discs, which in turn would make it a different mastering from the British box. I don't remember seeing anyone remark on the two discs unique to the box.

Easy enough to check, though. If someone posts some EAC peak values from the UK CD box (preferably at least one of the regular albums, and at least one of the bonus discs) I'll see if they match what's on my Japanese box.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Would that be the Japanese first pressings or a later mastering?

Just curious....

20. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

Yes I'd be interested in understanding which mastering is on the Japanese box, and if there are variations... what I mean is are there Japanese box sets with different masterings... not sure if i'm making much sense.

At the end of the day I want to get the best Kate releases and need to know if the Box set is worth investigating!!

Thanks in advance

21. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I am not sure if there are variations, but I doubt it. My Japanese boxed set has the same masterings as all of the original Japanese individual CD releases.

22. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

Matt

are the discs in your box Kate Bush - the CP32 Japan Black Triangles?

23. Matthew B.

No. The box postdates the black triangles; the discs are TOCP-6460 through TOCP-6467. But I gather from what I've read here that it uses the same mastering.

I'll post all the peak values later tonight.

24. Matthew B.

Okay. Via EAC, here are the peak levels for the eight discs in the Japanese edition of This Woman's Work.

Tenshi to koakuma (Angels and Imps) / The Kick Inside, Toshiba EMI TOCP-6460:

82.3 / 83.7 / 70.7 / 83.1 / 61.9 / 75.7 / 74.6 / 44.4 / 83.1 / 80.4 / 71.7 / 75.2 / 46.0

Raion haato / Lionheart, Toshiba EMI TOCP-6461:

100.0 / 100.0 / 100.0 / 100.0 / 63.0 / 100.0 / 75.5 / 100.0 / 100.0 / 100.0

Ma monogatari (Demon Tale) / Never for Ever, Toshiba EMI TOCP-6462:

100.0 / 71.0 / 100.0 / 93.5 / 92.4 / 100.0 / 97.5 / 80.5 / 43.2 / 48.4 / 100.0

Doriimingu / The Dreaming, Toshiba EMI TOCP-6463:

100.0 / 96.5 / 91.6 / 92.7 / 97.9 / 100.0 / 87.3 / 60.4 / 76.7 / 87.6

Ai no katachi (The Shape of Love) / Hounds of Love, Toshiba EMI TOCP-6464:

96.5 / 82.3 / 91.7 / 68.1 / 95.8 / 48.5 / 57.0 / 98.5 / 77.5 / 100.0 / 88.8 / 100.0

Senshuaru waarudo / The Sensual World, Toshiba EMI TOCP-6465:

78.4 / 100.0 / 70.4 / 78.8 / 99.1 / 80.3 / 82.4 / 74.3 / 89.6 / 57.0 / 93.7

Bonus disc Vol. I, Toshiba EMI TOCP-6466:

95.4 / 89.0 / 77.6 / 80.6 / 83.0 / 60.3 / 96.5 / 74.0 / 88.5 / 91.2 / 41.5 / 64.9 / 95.5 / 95.4 / 95.4

Bonus disc Vol. II, Toshiba EMI TOCP-6467:

93.3 / 92.5 / 58.3 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 95.5 / 87.0 / 95.5 / 95.5 / 95.5 / 97.7 / 91.2

There are some other reports of peak levels on Kate Bush discs scattered around this site, but if any deal with the box set specifically, I missed them. The catalogue numbers used in the UK version of the box set match those previously used for the individual discs, but for some albums the same catalogue number has been used for more than one CD mastering. This post (and the thread in general) is especially useful.

The Kick Inside levels match reported peak values for the Japanese "black triangle" CD (CP35-3045) and Pastmasters CD (CP21-6082), so it's very probably the same mastering. This does not match the mastering on any known UK discs.

For Lionheart and Never for Ever, the levels match those I've seen for early issues in both Japan and the UK, though I haven't seen a report on the CP32 Never for Ever.

The Dreaming matches both the Japanese CP32 and the early UK discs from Nimbus (but not those from EMI Swindon).

Hounds of Love matches the Japanese CP32; so far as I'm aware, it doesn't match any British discs.

The Sensual World matches the Canadian issue (Capitol C2 93078). I haven't seen peak values for any other issue of this album, but they may just have used the same mastering everywhere.

I'd guess the bonus discs just clone the UK version, but again, no other peak-level reports.

25. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

^^ Many thanks for doing those :)

Simon :)

It is interesting to compare these with some readings posted here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.