John Lennon expanded reissues and box set planned in 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah, I have the 1986 Geffen. The back artwork is actually *reversed* on it!

It doesn't sound markedly different than the more common 1989 Capitol reissue. Maybe Capitol used the same mastering for all I know.

I also have the original Polydor Milk and Honey. Never bothered to buy any subsequent reissues of it because it sounds fantastic.

2. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Yeah. I kinda wish I never ditched my Poldor M & H, or my Geffen DF for that matter. I like most of the bonus cuts on the remasters, but damn, they are LOUD! I'm hoping the new ones are given the "Beatles Remasters" treatment.

3. Well I don't know if the MFSL is no noised but it is brickwalled and remixed.

4. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

In the Q&A on her Twitter page, Yoko was asked if she'd considered reissuing the 2 Plastic Ono Band albums (John & Yoko) as one set with bonus tracks.

Her reply was positive, saying a friend had suggested the idea to her recently.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Would LOVE that extended version of "Remember" with the Zappa 'joke' at the end!

7. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

For the love of God & all that's holy, NO-O-O-O-O-O-O!
    I have no interest in Yoko's album(s) & I should not be forced to buy it if I want a remastered copy of John's album.
    If they're going to be available as a set, I should also be able to get John's album on its own.

Hmm, I seem to recall a version on LLT that was the unreleased version - it was off an acetate. I could be wrong.

My gut feeling is we will NEVER AGAIN hear the original mixes. We're stuck with the "Yoko Ono supervised remixes," which I'm guessing means she makes extra $$$ on the reissues for all her brilliant work re-writing history on these albums.
    Rock 'n' Roll had entire horn sections missing. Completely different album, NOT for the better.
    Can't wait for the press conference where she uses her obligatory "John would be proud" sound bite.

8. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

I'm not Yoko bashing here, just wondering...

Why put Yoko's songs on re-releases (and a box set) dedicated to John Lennon? They are two different artists that have their own fan bases - though there is some crossover. Just gather up the Lennon tracks from DF and M&H and make one album of his material. All of Yoko's material could go on her own dedicated box set.

9. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Because John Lennon considered Yoko Ono his artistic partner. They created and released music together as a team. That's why.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Or, more likely Yoko knows the only way her product will sell is to lump it in with John's more popular and more sell-able work.

11. erocky

erocky Senior Member

A negative post but I worry that it is probably accurate.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's neither negative nor positive- simply true.

13. As much as I am a fan of the whole JohnAndYoko/Heartplay concept & execution with both "Double Fantasy" & "Milk And Honey", which I think are brilliant collaborations, I would also love to see a 1980 Lennon album come out of these too. His work in 1980 was incredibly strong, and quite probably my favorite year of his solo work (with '71's "Imagine" a very close second, and then just behind that '70's "Plastic Ono Band").

14. erocky

erocky Senior Member

It's always driven me nuts that the Lennon tracks on Double Fantasy/Milk and Honey have not been released on one cd.

15. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Oh but they have on the 1990 Lennon Box set disc 4 including John's vocal on Yoko's"Every Man Has a Women Who Loves Him". You can find all the 1980 tracks there on 1 CD.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You could always burn them to a single CD.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It makes no sense to suggest greed was Yoko's reason for having the remixes done. I doubt the fact they were remixed had any positive effect on the sales. If anything, it had a negative effect, if this board is any indication. And they had to pay to have the remixes done, which cut into the profits from the sales of the reissues. If money was her only motivation, then she would have just reissued remastered versions of the original mixes... it would be cheaper and sell just as well. It seems likely that the remixes were done because Yoko felt the albums could be improved by remixing, and wanted to improve them to present them in the best light possible. Regardless of how you feel about the quality of the remixes, it seems clear the motivation was not money.

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Unfortunately your probably right.

However I just needle dropped the best vinyl pressings of each title (of all the EMI/Apple titles) and I'm happy with the results.

Live Peace In Toronto (German)
    Plastic Ono Band (German)
    Imagine (EMI 100 UK)
    Sometime in NYC (German)
    Mind Games (1st UK)
    Walls & Bridges (EMI Millenium UK)
    Rock N' Roll (EMI 100 UK)
    Shaved Fish (German)

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Right but that was an alternate mix of the released version which was recorded at Trident. AFAIK the earlier EMI performance hasn't circulated.

20. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Not quite. You think its true, but since you dont know what Yoko 'knows' its not objectively true at all :) Its an opinion, not a fact.

Certainly, John chose to have Yoko's tracks on his albums. That was his decision. The fact that they remain there isn't something Yoko should be blamed for. As for the remixes, Im not sure it makes more money for Yoko. Regardless, she and Sean both get all the money from anything Lennon-related anyway, so Im not sure what difference it would make.

Steve

21. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Totally agree. Especially since many people seem to think that Yoko does this to make money for herself independently of John's estate, but I cant really see why she would bother. After all, she and Sean get all the money from the Lennon estate anyway, so I really dont think greed is a factor. Some people just cannot seem to avoid blaming Yoko for everything that they do not like about what has happened to the Lennon or Beatles catalogues.

Steve

22. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I'd love to have that. It's obvious that the two were meant to be a pair. It'd also be a nice way to give people an introduction to her work. He albums aren't very easy to find.

Blah, blah, Yoko is a witch, blah, blah, she's a gold digger, blah, blah, harpy, etc...

23. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I think there's a HUGE difference between criticizing what she's done with Lennon's catalogue vs "blaming her for everything."
    I can't speak for other fans, but my objection to the remixing was that it seemed unnecessary. There were original mixes in circulation on CD. It came across as meddlesome & revisionist. Some of the work in question was released during the "Lost Weekend" (when she had no direct role in those titles). Now, if Lennon were alive today & felt the albums needed remixing, we'd be criticizing HIM for remixing them.
    This is not a case about having an issue with Yoko Ono, it's about having an issue with someone other than John Lennon remixing his albums posthumously, which, in this case, happens to be Yoko Ono. Big difference.

Perhaps they were meant to be a pair. But they were issued as individual albums. As such, I ought to have the same option of (not) buying the album now as anyone did back then. By the same token, there may very well be someone who does not care for John's album. He/she should have the option of not getting it. It's not like we're talking about splitting up the White Album into two records. These were always sold as two INDIVIDUAL albums.

I've given her music a shot, it just doesn't do anything for me. I respect the fact that she inspired Lennon to create some incredible music. I wouldn't consider anyone who doesn't like her music to be "Yoko-bashing."

24. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I am one of the few that LOVES Yoko's Plastic Ono Band and would MOST DEFINITELY get this set. For those of you who don't like Yoko, you can use her disc as a coaster or you can send them to me. :) "WHY" rocks harder than most things John EVER did. Yes, I DID just say that, and I am a huge Lennon fan.

25. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Well put, Petrofsk! I agree, if we were not happy with the remixes we would be all over John as well. However certain albums DID need remixing (Mind Games, save for MEAT CITY, was bettered in the remix), and I like having both options.

I have been finding early UK and German pressings and I will agree they sound better. My first version of LIVE PEACE was a German import from the 70's and EVERY other version I have heard since cannot match it (this is the one title IMHO that has suffered the most in the remixing process).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.