John Lennon expanded reissues and box set planned in 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

There is a version of Beef Jerky with strings?

2. I know the, or should I say my, speculation & hopes for these are limitless until we get any concrete news, but...
    I was just wondering if they might do something similar to The Beatles Box Set, where you could get singles of the Stereo albums, but get the Mono albums only in the Box Set...not that there are Lennon Mono editions here to worry about, but...
    What if they are releasing 5 expanded edition albums (the five most popular, probably being- POB, Imagine, MG, W&B, DF) but then offering the others as part of a box set that includes those five & others (at least STINYC and M&H, and maybe "Menlove Ave", any of the live albums, etc., etc.)?
    I also wonder, if like The Beatles recent re-issues, if there will be a DVD component? My bet is that, marketing wise, they might want to duplicate those well received Beatles re-issues in form & content.

3. erocky

erocky Senior Member

No? Well brass then. Same thing. Just kidding.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

5. therockman

They are out there, and not so hard to find:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=175167&highlight=john+lennon

6. therockman

After looking at the way I listed this disc, I can see that there is no indication that this is the original mix, non no-noised; but it was. I see that it sold within a half hour. I can tell everybody that cares to know, that this disc had the original mix and had absolutely no noise reduction added to it whatsoever. It sounded just like an old UK black vinyl disc that I owned. It was a Toshiba first pressing of PLASTIC ONO BAND, and it was made at the same time as the Toshiba ABBEY ROAD CD. It was quite a buy for whoever purcahsed it from me.

7. Hmmm. I was under the impression that there is no version of Plastic Ono Band without NR (NoNoise or not). Also, that they all have the remixed piano intro to Love (IIRC). The other first pressing Lennon titles avoided use of NoNoise, but not Plastic Ono Band, unfortunately. If this was released in 1984, I am not doubting you, but it goes against everything I have ever read about the subject.

8. I used to and he's right--it sounded signficantly better than the later US version I bought to replace my original copy.

9. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Plus 1, I love Mind Games!

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

JL/POB was first issued on CD in March, 1986.

11. TheiPodAvenger

TheiPodAvenger Forum Resident

12. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Hell I want one!

13. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I won't be buying any more Lennon CDs but I would be all over new McCartney remasters without noise reduction! :)

14. therockman

:laugh:

I still have my Japanese Toshiba PLASTIC ONO BAND!!! :hide:

Sometimes I forget what I have and what I have sold. :magoo:

:cheers:

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Anybody know?

16. Millstone

Millstone New Member

so... the MFSL Imagine and POB have this remix/nonoise situation?

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I know we have some experts on JL's studio recordings here. Can someone out together a detailed fantasy tracklist for reissues of POB, Imagine, Mind Games, Walls and Double Fantasy?

Based on the boots and what was on Anthology I think there is more good material from POB for sure. I'd love a take of God with Billy Preston. The unbooted take at the end of the POB Classic Albums DVD was a nice surprise.

For Walls I'd love a 2CD with a stripped down mix of the entire album and the complete Record Plant rehearsals that were used on Menlove Ave as bonus material.

18. therockman

Yes, that is correct.

19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

PLEASE NO BRICKWALLED & NO DENOISED !!!! :shake:

I'd love to hear in great sound quality all that material from the lost Lennon Tapes we've had unofficially for ages :shh:

20. erocky

erocky Senior Member

If the Beatles albums can come out in original UK mono on cd, the original Lennon solo album mixes can come out without noise reduction. I seriously never thought that I would see the day that the Beatles monos would ever come out on disc.

21. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

There's no reason for POB to be so noisy. Nothing recorded at EMI is inherently noisy, certainly not from 1970. The boot sessions are very quiet and these often include the final takes (albeit in an unmixed state) of the songs included on the album. Without question, the remastered Lennon albums should include THE analogue masters (assuming they are still in the vaults). There's lots of session outtakes for most every album, not to mention stand-alone singles and other rarities that should be included.

To answer Chris, the EMI version of Cold Turkey has yet to see the light of day. Ron

22. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Same here. I would hope that seeing the presentation of the Beatles remasters and hearing the sound will give McCartney some ideas.

But please.. put the singles and b-sides on there!

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Did EMI acquire Geffen? If not I would guess the 5 would be:

POB
    Imagine
    STINYC
    Mind Games
    Walls of Bridges

Regardless of the widespread pans of STINYC, I think that's more likely to get the nod than an album of covers.

24. jacden

jacden Senior Member

"Double Fantasy" has been been on EMI since 1989, when it was released for the second time on CD.

Here's an overview of its various incarnations:

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/k99131.html

According to Wikipedia, Geffen is now owned by Universal.

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

No, DOUBLE FANTASY was owned by Lenono Music and was leased to Geffen Records and was first issued on CD in 1986 on that label. Rights reverted back to Yoko Ono shortly thereafter and the disc was re-released on Capitol Records in '89 and again, with bonus tracks and a new remaster, later on (in 2000 or so, I think.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.