John Lennon expanded reissues and box set planned in 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I believe that there was a dispute and some legal action between Yoko and Elephant's Memory. I think that Elephant's Memory had some legitimate issues with royalties and credits. They probably settled out of court after the original release of the Live In NYC album and VHS. My guess is that these issues would have to be revisited and addressed properly before any reissue of this material, either in CD or DVD form. So it may be a bigger headache than Yoko (and her legal team) wants to deal with again. Arnie

2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

And another one of the many compilations: "The U.S. vs. John Lennon" soundtrack... :rolleyes:

Although the remastered '73 outtake "Here We Go Again", instrumental "How Do You Sleep?" and live version of "Attica State" were unique to this compilation.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Plus that killer quote: "I believe TIME wounds all heels."

4. Was the version of "Here We Go Again" different from the one on "Menlove Ave."? And I thought that song was from '74-'75...is it from the "Mind Games" sessions then? The song clip sample on Amazon.com sounded just like the version on "Menlove Ave." to me. It is my fave moment on "Menlove Ave"- along with "Be My Baby"- dig the Plastic Ono vibe on the Walls & Bridges tracks too.

5. Ok,

Well I'll take remastered remixes of "Imagine", "Mind Games" and the tracks that were remixed for "Walls and Bridges" as I felt the remixes were fine but the limiting, compression, etc. were horrible. Unfortunately, I have the feeling that THESE are in the mixes NOT just the mastering.

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It might have to do with the inferior sound quality on the master tapes. Anyone who's ever heard those recordings knows they really suck, unfortunately. Especially the drum sounds.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Nick Lowe has a song that goes by that title on his ABOMINABLE SHOWMAN album. it's good, too.

8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Late 1973, as part of the first "Rock & Roll"-sessions with Phil Spector. The version on the soundtrack is the exact same mix as on "Menlove Avenue", but remastered.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Lennon didn't originate that line. It's an old Groucho Marx line from the film Go West.

For that matter, John also didn't originate the line "life is what happens to you while you're making other plans" which is commonly misattributed to him.

10. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Who did then?

11. According to Wikipedia, it may have been writer and cartoonist Allen Saunders:
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Lennon#Double_Fantasy_.281980.29

12. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

This is a bit of a generalization. Some of the remixes (Mind Games in particular minus the mix for Meat City) better the originals. Lennon would have welcomed revision, there is no doubt.

I am not sure if I want to be buying these albums YET again...for a third time (on CD)...

The five no doubt will be:
    Plastic Ono Band
    Imagine
    Sometime in NYC
    Mind Games
    Walls and Bridges

I see that as the dividing line chronologically...maybe the five will be:

Unfinished Music 1
    Unfinished Music 2
    The Wedding Album
    Live Peace
    Plastic Ono - tee hee hee :)

13. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'd like to see the team that did the Beatles remasters do this set too.

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm can't remember. The internet is useless because everyone online mis-attributes the quote to Lennon. But I recall about 20 years ago there was a trivia column in our newspaper by LM Boyd. He'd feature random trivial facts and quotations. In one column he listed the quotation "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" and attributed it to Lennon. About a week later he published a correction, saying the actual quote "Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans" was originated by someone else. But I cannot remember who it was he named.

To back up that memory, I recently was reading an old Marvel comic from 1970, and in the Stan Lee's Soapbox column Stan quotes the line "Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans." He doesn't attribute the quote, but it's clear from context that it's a quotation, not something he originated himself. So the line was around at least as early as 1970. John Lennon just added the word "busy" to make it fit his melody.

edit: Solitary already answered the question, I now see.

15. I prefer Groucho's other line about time-

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".

16. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

"Wons" was a sampler to the casual fan with the hopes they'd like that disc and buy the box. Of course, a lot of fans bought both "just to have it":winkgrin:

17. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I wish they had put out the "John Lennon Collection on DVD. Those videos are easier on the eye than the current one.

18. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Correct me if I'm wrong but the first version of Cold Turkey, recorded at EMI, has never surfaced right? IIRC the released version is a re-make recorded at Trident a few days later and the alt mix on the Lost Lennon Tapes is an early mix of the released version.

19. winterrose

winterrose Member

Is there any chance that the same Beatles remaster team will work on each beatle's solo stuffs? Because that's what I want.

20. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

The 'Mind Games' out-takes/alternates that are on the 'Anthology' box are stunning and to be honest.....lost, because they're housed away only to the 'collector' fanbase so to speak. I would love to even just see them on the 'Mind Games' re-issue so that wonderful record can be reappraised and stand at least alongside 'Imagine' as one of his greatest solo records.

T.

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Not true. I sold my 1984 CD of PLASTIC ONO BAND here at the Forum Marketplace. Made by Toshiba, it had the original mix with no "no-noise" applied.

22. erocky

erocky Senior Member

What? I have never heard of this before. Anyone else have one of these?

23. erocky

erocky Senior Member

There is a lot of good material left to release.
    I heard Beef Jerky and Going Down On Love somewhere without the strings and they were both pretty cool. Don't know why those didn't come out on the Anthology.
    Cooking In the Kitchen of Love would have also have been worth having.
    What about the Live in New York City set? That thing has a lot of material that has yet to be issued like the rehearsals and the whole second concert! I also don't know of another record that could use a remix more!
    Putting the 1980 recordings on one disc would be really cool. The demos from 76-80 would also be worth having.

I would love to hear Plastic Ono Band in the original mix with the tape hiss. Is that too much to ask?

24. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

The best way to find the best sounding version is to get an original UK vinyl pressing of POB. They are easier to find than you think and it is better than any commercially available CD version. I HIGHLY doubt that we are going to see the original mixes, unless someone has the proof to suggest otherwise.

25. No, that's not too much to ask. All great suggestions!! Right on!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.