John Lennon expanded reissues and box set planned in 2010 (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

What about the labels?

Does each album correctly replicate that record's label? i.e., is WALLS & BRIDGES an Apple Records label?

2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

No, there are pictures up thread of the labels.

3. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Yes, exactly. I didn't think they'd be included.

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Thanks. What I meant was, are those 3 "partial" photos duplicated in full on the inside of the packaging?

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

how did you miss all the pictures in the previous page?
    which was the page you originally clicked reply on.

6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

They already did nice Mini lp sleeves of these Lps which were far better than these
    stupid Dig packs,I just don't get it!!

7. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

And the mix is the worse for it, IMO.

Nobody was there to alleviate his paranoia about his voice. Hence, the work suffered.

Sometimes what we think we want is not what is best for us/in our own best interests...

8. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

On the Australian iTunes you can get most of the individual album tracks a la carte (some of the longer ones are album only), but the singles and rarities/home recordings are all "album only" unfortunately.

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I did a needledrop of that one recently from a mint Capitol LP which sounds pretty good in itself and I added on the live "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" and "I Saw Her Standing There" that he did with Elton John 11/28/74. I used a German DJM 12" single for that. I'm pleased with the results.

I'm sure Japan will have a new round of these with remastered original mixes before too long.

10. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

So has anyone heard the Mind Games remaster yet? Can someone who knows both versions (Original LP & CD pressings) report back if they finally included the entire ending to "Meat City"
    Also is the version of "God" on the Home Demos Cd the same one included in the Classic Albums DVD....?

Thanks,
    JF

11. Tyrell

Tyrell Forum Resident

Well it's neither comprehensive or very well packaged and the waveforms of the various songs show some rather shocking limiting and oh... even more noise reduction and 'Yoko-mix' dabblings.

I'll bypass it, this is a cash-in all so Yoko can die with the blinkered belief she somehow preserved the Lennon legacy with ANY degree of pride.

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I really don't think judging the sound of something based on a waveform is very fair. And could the limiting just be a part of those mixes?

13. Mike D'Aversa

Can you please specify what, exactly, you're ranting about? I mean, besides being one of those angry Beatle/Lennon fans who genuinely seem to deeply resent Yoko Ono (which is a condition I've never understood, especially among fans - originating from the term fanatic - who weren't even born before 1970)?

Thank you...

14. Mike D'Aversa

What are you talking about?

What mixes?

Which wavefroms?

15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Are you talking about the newly-remastered discs in the Signature Box? If so, I'm afraid you're completely off-track here. The few comparative waveforms posted so far show the remasters to be quieter and less compressed than the Yoko remixes -- and NONE of those remixes are part of this campaign.

What exactly are you so disgusted with?

16. Mike D'Aversa

I think that poster probably had a bad day, resents Yoko Ono for whatever reason, saw/read something out of context, and then decided to type before thinking.

The part I don't get is how the other poster seemed to understand what that person was talking about... :confused:

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I was responding to the post directly above mine:

And I'm referring to the original mixes present on the new remasters.

18. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Got a shipping notice today from Amazon. Signature Box and DF Stripped Down on it's path to my house via UPS.

19. Raf

Raf Senior Member

He's having a bad day. He's also leaving flecks of spittle in this thread.

20. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Anybody know which version of "Yer Blues" is included in the Gimme Some Truth box? The Toronto version or the Rock 'n' Roll Circus one?

21. Mike D'Aversa

22. Stateless

Stateless New Member

But you know? No offense, but I'll take what John wanted over your opinion.

Imagine sounded fine for 30 years before it was remixed IMO. It was a popular & critical hit, so I suppose John & his co-producers were confident in how they wanted the album to sound.

I'm glad you continue to enjoy the remixes. I take it you are not going to buy the new CD's considering John's mixes made the work "suffer".

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And elsewhere - apparently this is what "Tyrell" does. He's not having a bad day - he's having a bad life.

He spittled all over other threads as well. Seems like a fun guy... :sigh:

24. conception

conception Forum Resident

First of all, the remix did nothing but add some clarity and definition to the Imagine sound. It was John Lennon's vision, just sounding like a towel was removed over the sound.

I really don't think the John Lennon overdone echo period occurred until the albums after that, which are widely considered disappointing and not Lennon's best work. So while John may have preferred that, the preferences of many say that wasn't the best way he could have presented himself.

25. Here is the best look inside the John Lennon Signature Box Set yet!! Still photos, many of photos I've never seen before from the booklets, and all to a "Nobody Told Me" soundtrack!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbC2wOrgihc
    Surprised with all the CDs already out there that we haven't started seeing other songs from the Box Set & Double Fantasy Stripped Down posted on youtube yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.