John Lennon expanded reissues and box set planned in 2010 (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I was disappointed about that as well, but it's not a deal breaker.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I think that I might want one of these.

3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Oh yeah, definitely not a deal breaker. The new Beatles CD's are pure eye-candy compared to most of the CD's in my collection. Usually, I just stream the music and gaze over the packaging and the discs. :)

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

For anyone who has any of these yet, how did they handle the cover art for the "Walls & Bridges" album? Are the 3 partial photos on the front cover represented in full on the inside of the packaging? Also, I'd assume that this one has the lyrics reprinted, correct?

And how about the artwork for "Sometime in NYC"? Did they manage to reproduce all of the inner sleeve artwork?

5. Yes! There's all of these, only in The John Lennon Signature Box Set...

Home Tapes
    1. Mother
    2. Love
    3. God
    4. I Found Out
    5. Nobody Told Me
    6. Honey Don't
    7. One Of The Boys
    8. India, India
    9. Serve Yourself
    10. Isolation
    11. Remember
    12. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
    13. I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier Mama I Don't Wanna Die

Singles
    1. Power To The People
    2. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
    3. Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)
    4. Cold Turkey
    5. Move Over Ms. L
    6. Give Peace a Chance

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Over all the pages of discussion, I can't recall if anyone ever authoritatively stated that "Double Fantasy - Stripped Down" is or isn't in the box. Sorry if that WAS answered, but I don't remember it, and trying to find the answer looks tough without wading through posts for 10 hours!

So now that people have these, what's the answer?

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Ever since the audio clips were posted to Amazon.com a month ago, it's been clear the Stripped Down DF is NOT in the box.

Nor should it be. It's a seperate release.

8. And I think it appears that the only place to get the one CD, original artwork version of "Double Fantasy" is in The John Lennon Signature Box Set...the individual CDs option is only for "Double Fantasy Stripped Down"- which is priced the same as a single CD, but includes both the original mix & the new "stripped down" mix.

9. peter

peter Senior Member

Thank you. I understand now.

10. And I think it appears that the only place to get the one CD, original artwork version of "Double Fantasy" is in The John Lennon Signature Box Set...the non-Box Set individual CD option is only for "Double Fantasy Stripped Down"- which is priced the same as a single CD, but includes both the original mix & the new "stripped down" mix- so far though, apparently no original artwork included...

11. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

Wait....so the only way to get a remastered "Ms. L" is by getting the box? It isn't on The Hits or Gimmie Some Truth. In which case...despite wanting to collect the albums individually, I would have to buy the box or turn to the great illegal smorgasbord for one b-side. Unless it's possible to download the box only tracks a la carte, but I'm pretty sure that's too much to hope for.

Sorry for bitching. I'm thrilled about the remasters, but I hate things like this (leaving one canon, non-album single in the box only).

12. Raf

Raf Senior Member

And the only way to get the remastered "Here We Go Again" is by getting Gimme Some Truth. That's how they plan these things, you know.

13. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

The rarities and singles discs are not the only reason I want this box, but they are the reason why I MUST have it.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Okay - thanks! :wave:

15. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Just buy Menlove Ave. It sounds great on there.

16. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

In the Booklet are Drawings like on the Cover, the Lyrics are also in it, but i don´t know if you mean a special Reprint. The Lyrics are "normal" printed.

Attached Files:

17. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Looks great.

I still can't believe that the original DF (artwork & all) is not going to be available as a separate release. That's just silly IMO. Perhaps they will put it out somewhere down the line after the initial sales of DFSD. I'm glad the original is in the box though.

18. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Is this what you are looking for?

Attached Files:

19. Stateless

Stateless New Member

It doesn't bury it. It's in the mix as John wanted it. That is one of my biggest peeves about Yoko's remixes. The vocals are boosted up too much. Also, the effects seem to be missing at times on John's voice, particularly on POB & Imagine.

For those who already got the Sig Box, are DF & M&H lower in volume this time? I can't see how they couldn't be.

20. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

No. He means the sleeves where the actual vinyl discs were stored in. I dont see them in there.

21. Stateless

Stateless New Member

You can always get the John Lennon Collection. I know it's not remastered, but you can find it used for pennies on Amazon.

22. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

I have the Collection. I was interested in the remastering :)

23. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Except for Move Over Ms. L, the remainder five singles are included in the Gimme Some Truth (GST) collection.

Exclusive to the GST collection are:

1) Yer Blues (Live)
    2) Hound Dog (Live)
    3) Here We Go Again

The Anthology version of Grow Old With Me is also part of GST, which I believe is not included in any other of the remastered CDs or collections.

24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm hoping Menlove Ave will get the remastering treatment soon. I love that album.

25. Stateless

Stateless New Member

It doesn't need it IMO. I think it sounds great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.