John Lennon expanded reissues and box set planned in 2010 (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Whoo hoo!!!!!

"Double Fantasy stripped down" on the shelves in Australia right now!! :goodie:

Greg.

2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I'm assuming more stores in the world are breaking street date. New releases are usually on the shelves on the Thursday or Friday before the international release date over here in The Netherlands. Will take a look tomorrow morning!

3. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

I knew that I shouldn't have written that right after I typed it. 0:)

4. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Keep in mind that original pressings of Shaved Fish have both Instant Karma and Power To The People with ealy fades...Instant Karma clocking it at 3:12...matching the original Lp timings of Shaved Fish. Later CD pressings of Shaved Fish as well as the Lennon Collection and Lennon Legend have the 3:18 45 version.

JF

5. Just me being anal! :shh:

6. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Back then, certainly.

Today (with digital cloning so easy), not as often...

7. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

8. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Yes, tape hiss and complete fade-outs.

9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

An even longer version of (the remix of) "Instant Karma!" appeared as one of the bonuses (along with an instrumental "Imagine") on the "Happy Xmas" enhanced CD single released in the UK in December 2003 (Parlophone CDR6627).

The audio on this one matches the audio for the clip on the "Lennon Legend" DVD (no fade out, the song lasts until its natural ending).

10. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

[​IMG]

And another embargo bites the dust. Still no sign of the other releases though.

11. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Wild!

Are there any disadvantages to living in Amsterdam? :)

12. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Theyre all out here today in Perth. Didnt see the signature box, but did see Double Fantasy Stripped, Imagine and Power To The People.

Steve

13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Well, 25 euros (35 dollars!) for just another re-hash compilation :D...

But I must say this will be much cheaper when they arrive in the indie record stores tomorrow.

14. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Oh, not just Amsterdam...
    Everything was in one of the last brick and mortare store in good old Brussels, and apparently they've been there for a couple of days... but it's only today that thought of having a look !

Everything was there (the big signature box, the compilations, the individual CDs and "Stripped Down", which is the only one I really wanted for the time being).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Looks good Calico

16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

In anticipation of the new remasters, the remixed versions have been eliminated from online music sites like itunes and amazon. Last week when the samples of the remasters were uploaded, I compared a lot of tracks - original versus remix as the samples were exactly the same. Now the remixes are gone....

Probably makes sense from a point of not confusing the customer with different versions, but I hope they restore them in the future to keep them in print for newer fans.

17. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Same digipacks as the Beatles stereo remasters : soft cardboard, no protective inner sleeves, highly fingerprint-sensitive...

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

aww man, why do they do that?

19. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

So we can personalize our CDs

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

A little OT, but interesting. I was glancing through Billboard and noticed that this 4 year old Lennon comp hit the charts last week (Oct 2, in Billboard-speak) at #44 on the top 200. Why the hell is this thing charting - and why in such a relatively high position - after 4 years of nothing? It dropped to the lower 50s for the "current" (Oct 9) week. Bizarre, isn't it?
    [​IMG]

21. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I can relate to this. So my girlfriend walked into Starbucks last week and saw this compilation displayed very prominently at the cashier counter with a sticker saying 'Commemortaing John Lennon 70th Birthday" (or something to that effect). Since she'd heard me talking about the reissues, she guessed that this was a part of the same remastering program and so picked it up as a surprise for me.

I ended up returning it the same day (the songs are the remixed versions) but can see people buying them with the "70th birthday" tag - it's confusing for the average customer to know the differences. I was also surprised to see John's music on the Hear/Starbucks label - guess they got both the Nerk Twins!

22. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

Thank you !!!!

It pretty much made my mind up about not getting the set, the only reason i would want is because of the original Double Fantasy.

I will pick up Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and Some Time In New York on Monday and then ask santa to slide the rest down the chimmy.

P.S, would anyone be willing to sell me there Double Fantasy out of the Boxset :shh: :winkgrin:

23. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Is a remastered recording of "Double Fantasy" not available outside the box set? Or is it the packaging with the original cover that you're wanting?

JF

24. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

It's the original cover. The remastered Double Fantasy is included alongside the 'stripped down' version in a 2 CD set.

25. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

You can buy DF Stripped and you get both the original and "stripped" mixes, right? On Amazon at least, DF Stripped is going for the same price as the other single discs. Why not just pick it up and count the additional mixes as a bonus?

I will probably go for POB and The Hits (for the singles) on Monday, and assemble the rest at my leisure. I'm eager to hear POB's original mix in properly mastered digital form for the first time.

I just recently acquired a Milk and Honey Polydor, completing my collection of (previously) forum approved masterings, and letting me replace those last couple tracks on my homemade Lennon comps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.