John Lennon expanded reissues and box set planned in 2010 (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But that remains apples/oranges. Is Sean's drawing better than one I could do? Sure, but my art isn't going to be on the cover of a CD.

If Sean weren't John's son, his artwork wouldn't make the cut - that's why there are complaints. It's an okay drawing but not something that would earn a cover without a little of the old nepotiz in action...

3. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Should we still have "expanded" in the heading?

4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

What irked me about your comment was that you said it was "mediocre for an adult" -- as if any adult could pick up a pencil and draw like that. Even if Sean doesn't have the talent to make him a world-class artist, the skill level evident in that drawing is still higher than that of probably 75% of the populace. If you feel confident in labeling that drawing "mediocre" than you are either (a) a very talented artist, (b) an experienced art critic, or (c) misinformed about how easy it is to produce art.

You could just as easily argue that John's grade-school doodlings was unworthy of the Walls & Bridges LP cover. Since Yoko (and Sean) own the rights to Double Fantasy, I guess they have the right to grant the re-design job to whoever they want, even themselves.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  5. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

7. Stateless

Stateless New Member

So they are restoring the artwork for Walls & Bridges but replacing it for Double Fantasy? :confused:

I get the feeling that the only place that you will get the original cover & artwork for DF is in the Sig Box. Maybe it will also be somewhere in the DFSD packaging.

I have nothing bad to say about Sean's artwork. It actually seems fine for Stripped Down. But if it is the new "Double Fantasy" cover, I think that is pretty lame. The original is a pretty iconic cover when it comes to John's solo work. It should remain available as a separate release. Maybe they will keep the 2000 version in print....even though that one is loud as hell.

8. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Can't agree with you there. On Walls & Bridges John used his boyhood drawings based on his own personal reasons, not because it was "great artwork". Double Fantasy Stripped Down is a totally revisionist project. Probably the most out of any of John's posthumous albums. I can understand Sean's drawing for that cover, but not as the new Double Fantasy cover. I thought the main point of the GIMME SOME TRUTH campaign was to restore John's mixes and original artwork? A cynic could say that Yoko wants to promote Sean & his artwork even at the expense of the original album cover.

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

But similarly, Yoko has chosen to use Sean's drawing for her own reasons (be they artistic, sentimental, or other), and not necessarily because it's "great artwork." I think the real reason for the negative reaction over this new cover isn't that SEAN did it -- although he seems to attract some negative reaction on his own -- but rather that this drawing might permanently replace the REAL, original, cover art. If Yoko had commissioned the best pencil artist in the world to draw this cover, there would still be an outcry -- and the decision to change the art would be even MORE inexplicable without the sentimental angle.

It's still not 100% clear what we will get when we open the "Signature Box." If we get the standard DF cover, I think fans will calm down about this. If the new Sean drawing, on the other hand, is the new, permanent (for now) DF cover in all its incarnations, plenty of people (including myself) will be unhappy. I'm still sad that the even MORE iconic All Things Must Pass cover has been out of print for almost a decade.

None of this really has anything to do with the artistic merits of Sean's drawing -- that's just what people have pounced on. They're mad that Yoko has altered the DF cover. I say if Double Fantasy Stripped Down is a separate release (like Let It Be Naked) and the "proper" DF stays in print, then I have no problem with it. If not, then I too have an issue with the revisionism.

10. Though no one knows for sure yet...to the best of my understanding Sean's drawing is only the artwork for the new "Double Fantasy Stripped Down" 2 CD set project, and it will not be replacing the old cover..."Double Fantasy", proper 1 CD original style release, would still have the old, traditional classic cover.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Okay, I'll say it's pretty good for an adult - but not good for an artist. Happy now?

Of course they have the right - they could make the cover a shot of Yoko's undies if they wanted. Doesn't mean fans have to like it.

Cripes, I don't recall being terribly negative about the cover - I just said it was mediocre. Not bad, not a travesty - just mediocre.

And I stand by that - it's simply not a particularly good drawing.

Never said it was "unworthy" or anything else. At least John chose to put his "doodlings" on "W&B" - he has no choice here...

12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

For what its worth on Amazon it says 12 discs, and in the pic on Amazon, the original DF cover can be seen. But I can't find a listing for a new single disc of DF.

13. Stateless

Stateless New Member

There is no separate 2010 remaster of a single disc Double Fantasy on the EMI, John Lennon or Amazon websites. The only cover I have seen so far is Sean's drawing. I believe the only way to get the single disc of Double Fantasy is in the Signature Box. I am happy about that since I am only buying the Sig Box, but I think it will be a shame if you just want DF, you will have to buy a 2 CD set with a different cover.

Again, I have no problem with Sean's drawing or any of the reasons it is on the cover of DFSD. It makes sense in many ways to me. I just don't think it should be the cover of DF....I think I repeated that enough at this point. ;)

14. Stateless

Stateless New Member

The JL & EMI websites say 11 discs for the Sig Box (see links above). I would think that info is more accurate.

15. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

The signature box also show all CDs with a white "Lennon" strip running down the binding, whereas POB, STINYC and DFSD individual titles have black strips. So something is wrong with this info. It seems doubtful they would incur unnecessary expense by producing different box and individual covers.

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

It was just a mock-up. Not a true picture of the finished product.

17. So far I don't see any of the individual titles at amazon at all. I REALLY hope that there is a single "Double fantasy" CD option, and I truly believe there will be, original artwork & all- I certainly could be wrong, but I'm betting it'll be available in one or two CD (Stripped Down) versions.
    And I'm with you all the way that, at the most, the Sean's drawing cover should be an alternate option (for the Stripped Down version only) and not become the definitive cover...for the record, I don't think it will either.

18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The original cover will be reinstated for the 2020 reissues, when all the other CDs have new covers. ;)

19. Stateless

Stateless New Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._t=4401&pf_rd_p=1273413822&pf_rd_i=B000AQ06WQ

20. Oh my & oh no!!!...hope it's a mistake, on amazon's part listing wise...because if it's not, then I think it's a mistake, major league big time in so many ways, on the part of the estate (meaning Yoko) & the record company...
    Ouch! And though I am buying "Double Fantasy Stripped Down" as well, this makes me extra happy that I'm buying the Signature Box Set.
    On the plus side, at least "Walls & Bridges" is back to normal (though I certainly liked that cover change of a few years ago much better than the "Double Fantasy Stripped Down" cover change)...and it appears that the "Double Fantasy" included in the Signature Box Set is the standard cover...

21. Stateless

Stateless New Member

From EMI...

http://emicatalogmarketing.com/johnlennon/gimmesometruth/art/

22. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but Amazon is usually pretty reliable.

23. Well I'd say that's another nail in the coffin.
    Yet another terrible choice they've made!!
    Wow & Ouch= Wouch...or Wowch- you choose.
    I also REALLY don't like how they only have John's name & signature on "Double Fantasy", "Milk And Honey" and "Sometime In New York City", since those are albums by John Lennon And Yoko Ono.
    Choosing Sean's cover drawing for just the Stripped cover is understandable, if regrettable, for sentimental reasons, but to have it now be the cover for the only version available, and to make a 2 CD set the only version available, and to change the cover to something like this...Wouch AND Wowch!!!
    It looks like it's only the original one CD version in the Signature Box, but now I'm not so sure...At first I was hoping they'd include Stripped in the Box Set, so I wouldn't have to buy it separately, but to be honest, now I hope it isn't in the box!!!! Even though I'll end up buying "Double Fantasy Stripped Down" anyway (crappy cover art or not), I'd like to have a copy of "Double Fantasy" from this series with the original artwork!! So let's hope that things are as they appear to be...no Stripped in the box set, just the original one CD version, with original artwork of the great "Double Fantasy"!!

24. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Right, so there is no good reason to believe DF in the box will contain the original cover based on what we see here other than the current understanding/belief that it is a single disc version (11 discs, etc.).

However, I'm hoping/betting on Yoko's greed that it's a single disc, hence no reason for the new cover.

25. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

For what it's worth:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.