John Coltrane on Atlantic, new vinyl reissues from WEA, June 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davidpoole, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

is hq=180 same thing as virgin vinyl or not?

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Does this new version of Plays the Blues have the god-awful hum noise on the 2000 Rhino CD?

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The noise (or at least something like it) is also on the 80s CD, which leads me to suspect it might be on the master tape.

4. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

Coltrane's Sound, one of my all time favorites.

Getting this NOW!

5. davidpoole

davidpoole Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks. How would you characterize the difference sonically between this and the latest reissue?

6. davidpoole

I just pasted in the product description from Elusivedisc which I expect they got from Rhino. I don't think "HQ vinyl" means anything specific, just RTI merchandizing copy to distinguish what they do ("High Quality") from other pressing plants. So not necessarily a specific grade of vinyl, or objective qualifier, like virgin vinyl.

7. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

Listened to "My Favorite Things" LP yesterday.
    Really liked it, record is nice and clean. I only had one Rhino reissue LP - "Talking Heads - Remain in Light" and it was warped. Sounds nice though.
    Coltrane Jazz & Plays the Blues were also available at the shop, but european presses and MFT is US. It seemed to me that EU editions are usual weight, not 180GR and cover on EU LPs is thinner and not so well built compared to US.
    I have all Atlantic albums on original CDs so I bought only MFT. And I agree that not including Ole' is a missed opportunity. I think it's his best Atlantic album after MFT.

8. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Lost track of this thread, but here goes:

I did a quick comparison of the title track, and the new LP sounds like it is from a better source. My old copy sounds good, but the new one seems a little clearer, while at the same time the highs are a bit softer on top. It just has more of the sound I look for when listening to records -- warm, smooth, etc etc etc. I really like it.

9. davidpoole

10. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I really like ths poster's description of one of the new Atlantic Coltrane LPs -- this is exactly how I would describe my new copy of Plays the Blues. I don't know how the new LP stacks up against the original Atlantic of this LP, but it certainly is an upgrade over my late 70s red and green label stereo pressing. This new release makes it just that much more of a pleasure to sit down and listen to this one ...

11. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

I picked this up earlier in the week and am spinning now. Very nice and warm sounding. As another poster mentioned, not necessarily up there with the best of the MM 45rpms but one gets pretty close for a lot less money (mine rang it at just a hair over $20 in Canada). Given the excellent results with this LP I'm going to check out the other three releases this coming week. I love Coltrane and these Atlantic releases (or at least this one) are sure with the $20! Sorry I don't have any other reference save for a CD to compare with.

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I got this a few days ago, and yes it was mastered by Grundman and pressed at RTI. I also picked up "The Great Ray Charles" in the same series (mastered by Doug Sax).

Both discs sound outstanding (amazing dynamics!), and the vinyl is reasonably quiet.

13. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I can't find details about the new reissue of Ornette Coleman's "The Shape Of Jazz To Come" from WB/Rhino (same reissue series as the Coltrane titles being discussed here).

Elusivedisc does not mention anything about what type of source was used or who mastered this one...

I would guess that this Ornette LP is being made by the same people (BG) using original master tapes to produce 100% analog LP...

Anyone has details about this? Thanks!

14. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

Reviving this thread after purchasing Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come and being blown away. My question: Is it worth picking up My Favorite Things when clean originals can be found for just a bit more? Anyone have both as a point of reference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.