Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come - a pleasant surprise

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary Freed, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. there is a deluxe CD edition. Lots of extra tracks from that period.

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident Thread Starter

How's the SQ on the deluxe?

3. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I have recently become a fan of Jimmy Cliff's and I am surprised to discover so many of his individual albums are hard to find. Lots of compilations available but his albums are hard to find.

I would also love to get a CD version of the "Club Paradise" soundtrack. Some really good tracks on that one.

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I generally like reggae in small doses. The Harder They Come (with the exception of lacking any Bob Marley songs) is for me the definitive reggae album.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Here's my opinion on this from another thread, "Just get the remaster", earlier this year:

I'll add that sometimes the difference between the first issue of a CD and the first remaster of the same CD can be so negligible, it's not worth pursuing the remaster. For instance, I have the first issue (1990) CD of The Harder They Come and also the 2001 remaster. The remaster has ever so slightly more present bass and high-end, but nothing to write home about. So, if someone here found the first issue in the bargain bins, I'd advise them to go for that one and stand pat.

In other words, either the original Mango or the 2001 will do. You can't go wrong with either, in my opinion. I'd let price dictate the decision.

6. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

No one has addressed the phasing issue on Shanty Town on the various remasters and deluxe sets - unless I missed it. Has the problem been corrected on the newer reissues?

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

On the title track, I am lucky. I own a US Mango Promo 45 (Capitol handled the label then). A bit scratchy but sounds awesome.

8. stopbrickwalling

stopbrickwalling Forum Resident

I'll try to share what I know, provided I can get the shared file links to work here.
    I have the Mango CCD 9202 (DIDX004360 on inner ring/DIDY 004360 printed on CD...DIDY is a CRC thing, I think) and the Hip-O Deluxe versions.

Here are the waveforms for both....Mango on top, Hip-O Deluxe on bottom.
    [​IMG]

Here is a :30 clip of the Mango CD...sounds clean:
    https://jumpshare.com/v/uLaBSdO02A9qACaybjXZ

Here is a :30 clip of the Hip-O Deluxe CD....I assume these are the phase issues that are being spoken of....also you can here the affect of the NR or whatever it is and the bass is boosted.
    https://jumpshare.com/v/gGgmODbZVaMw5PdHwcTI

Too bad we can't have a combo of the two with the best characteristics of each.

I hope this helps some folks. :)

C6H12O6 likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

10. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

I have an Australian pressing of the Mango, with catalogue 846 574-2 and RRCD 11 on the cover and spine, 846574-2 #02 MADE BY PMI on the matrix and IFPI 4630 on the disc, year unknown, and the 2013 deluxe Hip-O. I also have a Mango box, 'Tougher than Tough, the story of Jamaican music', also containing Desmond Dekker's Shanty Town. The Mango has more range, the Hip-O is LOUDER and the box possibly brighter. Not sure about any phasing, unless they all have it. I'll probably dispose of the Hip-O though.

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This is why I kept the old Mango CD. It's ridiculous how they finally fixed it on the first CD issue (the old LP had the phasing problem), but then brought back the same problem on the remasters. Way to go people.

stopbrickwalling likes this.
  12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Found the original today and love it. Perfect Summer album!

13. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

A few years ago I picked up a d.v.d./c.d. soundtrack package....it came in a nice slipcase!the deluxe 2 c.d. version is amazing too......

14. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

Fantastic album with a great sleeve to boot.

15. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

I like the scene in Rockers when they turf the dj out of the booth as he was playing disco music and put Junior Byles' Fade Away on instead. Hilarious.

16. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

It's Queen Majesty by The Jays :)

There's also this record shop scene with the best dancer ever!

Rockers(1978)_Record shop scene

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Kernow Boy likes this.
  17. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

There’s several different reggae artists on the soundtrack to explore further. Many people started their reggae journey with this soundtrack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.